cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One 5ghz Noise

ash1293
Hooked

Plusnet Hub One 5ghz Noise

Currently using a Plusnet Hub One Router and I'm getting the known noise/buz,whistle issue with 5Ghz wifi enabled.

Disable the 5ghz and all is quiet.

Are replacements available?

I've stayed with plusnet for many years now in the hope fibre will be made available but with the cheap Virgin & UFO offers in my street its starting to look more attractive if I'm going to have to purchase my own.

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Hub One 5ghz Noise

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ash1293 

BT Smarthub 6s sell for very little money on auction sites. They have better WiFi and are quiet. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ash1293
Hooked

If I have to buy one I may just shop around for a new deal as coming to end of contract.
Been with plusnet since circa 2004 in this property, and also the one before. Stuck with them on the promise cabinet fibre would likely arrive soon but nothing as yet despite streets close by being active.
Streets have been dug up twice, once for UFO and then again for virgin so both are keen to push their plans.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

It's a known issue to be honest @ash1293

We apparently did query this with the manufacturers a whole ago and were advised that this is just how they worked really. My Plusnet Hub One did the same thing.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ash1293
Hooked

Thanks for reply although that seems strange.

After reading several other posts of similar nature it appears not all make the noise on 5ghz and many that did have since been replaced.
lscolman
Hooked

Hi all,

Mine is really noisy and as I have it on my desk next to my laptop, it's really annoying. I have to put the radio on to drown it out.

It was originally only noisy with 5GHz enabled, but even after disabling that over a year ago, it's now got even louder.

Is there a free replacement program for these units?

The service from Plusnet is second to none, and I have been a customer for over 5 years, but the noise coming from my router is really detracting from what is otherwise a superb service.

Cheers, Lee

lscolman
Hooked

Seeing that the newer BT hubs can be used, I've just picked up a SmartHub 2 from eBay, and will give that a try.

Cheers, Lee

metalligator
Dabbler

My router started making very loud 5Ghz squirgly noises recently.
It got bad on the 5ghz so had the firmware update, started getting unreliable 5ghz recently and router had been on for 27 days so did a reboot and then noticed the loud noise when in use, turning off 5ghz makes it go away, is there really no fix for this?
lscolman
Hooked

A smart hub 2 is the only way to go. I had two plusnet routers and both emitted noise when 5GHz was enabled.
Baldrick1

@lscolman 

Smarthub 2 is not the only way to go. The original Smarthub a.k.a Smarthub 6 is just as good apart from the 2’s mesh capability if you are a BT customer. The advantage of the original version is that you can separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. They are also cheaper.

Moderator and Customer

lscolman
Hooked

Sorry, I meant it as in the Smarthub 2 is the best option, at least in my opinion. 👍
Baldrick1

@lscolman 

No need to apologise. However I beg to differ.

In my opinion the best budget option for Plusnet customers is the Business version of the Original Smarthub. With this you can split the bands and have additional setting options, such as being able to select your own choice of DNS resolvers. If you want other features such as being able to use it with an unlocked modem should you ever need to look at your WAN statistics and don't mind the loss of one LAN socket then we come to my personal favourite, which is a Business FTTP Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer