cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 1 - WiFi printer connection problem

briank
Grafter

Plusnet Hub 1 - WiFi printer connection problem

I wasted a hours yesterday and today trying to trace a WiFi printer problem (Epson Stylus 1500W).

Basically, the printer properties stopped displaying the ink levels. There was also a long delay (several seconds) between initiating a print and anything happening (including getting a print preview or viewing the printer properties).

At first I thought it was probably down to a Windows 10 update or a problem with WIndows firewall. I tried all the usual things - updating the printer driver, re-installing the printer network software etc. Nothing worked.

The frustraing full story can be found here:-

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/epson-status-monitor-wifi-connection-broken-after-windows-1...

Eventually it dawned on me that a very slow WiFi connection between the router and the printer might explain the symptoms.

When I power cycled the Plusnet hub, the problem went away.

Both the printer and my laptop connect to the router over 2.4GHz wireless.

The laptop <-> broadband connection speed was ok, it was only the printer wireless connection that gave the problem.

Any idea what may have gone wrong with the router?

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
briank
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub 1 - WiFi printer connection problem

I have come up with a possible explanation:-

Perhaps another nearby wireless access point began using the same wireless channel as that used for the printer. The router uses automatic channel selection by default, so it may have switched to another clear channel after power cycling.

Wired Ethernet for the printer would be more robust and reliable.

Unfortunately a wired Ethernet interface is not supported by the Epson 1500W.

My only option would be a USB to Ethernet adapter.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Re: Plusnet Hub 1 - WiFi printer connection problem

Perhaps another nearby wireless access point began using the same wireless channel as that used for the printer. The router uses automatic channel selection by default, so it may have switched to another clear channel after power cycling.

Another thing to be aware of, especially if the router and printer are some distance apart, is that the effects of nearby access points can be completely different at the router and the printer. Check for the best channels with a wifi analyser both at the router AND the printer

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.