cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Hub Two - Configure DHCP reservations for devices not yet live?

old_fogey
Dabbler

PlusNet Hub Two - Configure DHCP reservations for devices not yet live?

Hi,

I'd like to configure DHCP reservations (and port forward rules) for devices that are not yet live on the Hub Two.  it seems that the DCHP reservatons are not allowed  - I can switch from device names to IP addresses and type in the address I wan't, but it seems the web UI imposes a restriction that prevents it.  The experience with port forwards is even more odd - the rule appears in the list of rules for about a second, then is deleted.

Does anyone know of a way that a router can be pre-configured in the manner I require?

One though I had was that I could create a router configuration file offline and upload it, thus bypassing the restrictions imposed by the web UI that the firmware would otherwise be happy with.  Is there a specification for the router configuration file? 

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Re: PlusNet Hub Two - Configure DHCP reservations for devices not yet live?

One though I had was that I could create a router configuration file offline and upload it, thus bypassing the restrictions imposed by the web UI that the firmware would otherwise be happy with.  Is there a specification for the router configuration file? 

@old_fogey Im afraid not!. Like many ISP provided routers, you will have to configure it online.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@old_fogey 

Why cot configure the device with a fixed IP address in the range 192.168.1.2-63

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

old_fogey
Dabbler

The question would then be how to do that, under 'home/advanced settings/My network/my devices/IPv4 configuration/address table' I don't have that option. 

(I have my own router which was 'zapped' after a recent electrical storm and I pulled out my pre-configured backup and got up and running again - the speed was reduced, but Plusnet did a DLM reset and all is fine).

The PlusNet hub two was supposed to be the replacement main or spare router.  PlusNet support wanted to send a HubTwo because under the new customer support process most agents can only run tests to PlusNet routers, only escalation allows them to run tests on the line using the openreach portal.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@old_fogey 

"configure DHCP reservations (and port forward rules) for devices that are not yet live"

Out of interest, why might someone want to do that?

old_fogey
Dabbler

II want to do it because I want to pre-configure my router so that I can plug it in and all will work properly after an outage.  The alternative is to plug it in and do it with the actual devices I have, all of which will get different addresses which then need to be reset, some of which will clash with existing ones and life is too short to mess about like that.

The other thing I can see that I probably can't do with the hub2 is have port forwarding rules created but disabled.  I port forward http port 80 to a local server on a custom port for renewing a letsencrypt certificate, but I wan't port 80 to go to a web server most of the rest of the time.

I notice I can't separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so clients are left to decide which WiFi band to choose.

I notice I can put the router in bridge mode and turn off wireless.  That is probably the best way forward for me.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

I notice I can put the router in bridge mode and turn off wireless.

Bridge mode automatically turns off wireless and just about everything else!. It becomes just a DSL modem, you need to connect it to a router whos WAN is configured for PPPoE with you PLusnet credentials.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

old_fogey
Dabbler

Precisely.  I would then configure my own router, the plus-net device would be the miodem and PlusNet customer services assistants could (so I have been led to believe) run their first level customer service test on layer 1 to the Hub 2 modem.

(The lack of a plusnet router was what hampered the diagnosis if my recent issue, and left us for 5 days without internet faster than 256kbps.)

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@old_fogey 

From my experience of the Hub two in 'Bridge Mode' I am not sure if the remote diagnostics of the Hub can take place as CWMP (TR069) is disabled, also the NTP client is turned off resulting in the event logs resetting to 00:00 01 Oct on a Hub reboot.

With the CWMP turned off it will no longer receive any firmware update not there has been any recently.

old_fogey
Dabbler

Well that's interesting, thanks.  My backup '3rd party' router does, in fact, have an option to enable CWMP (TR069), which I normally keep off.  I was told however that it needed to be a Plus.net router that was used for first line diagnostic tests so I assumed that more than just CWMP active (I don't have CWMP credentials nor do I know whether my router meets the requirements for TR069 interoperability, so its quite possibly just too difficult to routinely do tests to third party routers even though it might be technically possible)