Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE authentication fails

FIXED
Mik44
Fixes: 1

PPPoE authentication fails

For several years, an AVM 7360 (Fritz Box) has served as modem/router and VoIP DECT phone system on ADSL, giving adequate connection speeds. But connection loss was beginning to be irritatingly long and frequent.
In an attempt to improve matters, I changed to an FTTC option hopefully offering fewer dropouts. However, after many tests and three extended phonecalls with Plusnet support folk trying to get the internet connected, I accepted their offer of a "Hub One", which was delivered quickly and provides a working connection at >30Mbps down, >8Mbps up - very respectable.
However, I would really like to reinstate the 7360, with all the services it provides in one neat package mounted on the wall. It has some helpful diagnostic features, and reported all as healthy, with line rates of 40Mbps down, 10MBps up, respectable S/N ratio and other parameters, except for a failure of IPv4 (and IPv6, of course). The 7360 log indicated repeated PPPoE timeout errors. At the same time, the valliant woman trying to help from the Plusnet end said that there was a recurring authentication error. This could have been caused by a password error, so we changed it, to no avail. That and the username had never really been in doubt.
The 7360 is capable of VDSL2, as confirmed early in these dialogues, and it should be possible to make it work. Does anyone have knowledge of this device or problem, or ideas on what I could do to achieve a connection through the 7360 on the upgraded service?

2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: PPPoE authentication fails

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mik44
Fixes: 1

Re: PPPoE authentication fails

Fix

With an internet connection thanks to a "Hub One" supplied by Plusnet, research is possible, yielding settings beyond the normal internet username and password. As I now understand it thanks to others on the forum, the full list for Plusnet in the UK is:

VLAN-ID = 101

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

Encapsulation = PPPoE

Annex A

IPv4 only (No IPv6 on Plusnet)

Further, one can experiment with tradeoff of settings mentioning "signal-to-noise" (SNR), INP, G-INP, "stability", or "performance".

Please pass this information to those on the technical help desks who are struggling to help customers with modems other than those from Plusnet.

My AVM 7360 is now performing well, and I am holding the Hub One against emergencies.