Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Network From 5GHz

FIXED
Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Open Network From 5GHz

Just wanted to post my experience with the Home Hub one.

Have always used the 2.4GHz, never been able to connect to the 5GHz channel with any compatible device.

5GHz never shows up, I can only see it with WiFi analyser apps as a hidden network, it appears randomly but on the 2.4GHz channel, disable it and it disappears.

Tried connecting as a hidden network, still no luck, but here's the big problem, there's always been an open Network, I've been careful not to log on to it as the name started like mine and it could be someone fishing I think it's called.

I use the WiFi apps because I have a chrome cast and can get lots of inference and change channels frequently, then I noticed my hidden network would follow what ever channel I changed to. If I disabled the 5GHz WiFi it would disappear until I enable it again.

But also the open Network disappears? and I tried connecting to the open Network and it connected straight away. So I have had a 5GHz WiFi, always secured with a very strong password, changed every six months, that I could never connect to, that some how seems to be open to anyone to use for years.
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Open Network From 5GHz

@Stringwalker 

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole? Keep the switch closed for about 30 seconds.

A frequent cause of phantom networks that follow you when you change channels are connected devices that include their own built in web server. I have heard of some devices using them to connect to their remote control. I have one on my Solar Inverter to enable a service engineer to access it independently to my network. Try switching each of your connected devices off in turn and see it it magically disappears.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Thank you for your reply, I will have to do a factory reset because as of this morning I can no longer access my router, it's unreachable.

I was more concerned about my open network, which had been pointed out to me by my neighbor, but I always checked and it never showed up in my router settings, no guest network option, both frequency password protected so I though it had to be my other neighbor.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Stringwalker 

Perhaps I have not been clear.

You say that you have never used the 5GHz band but can you be sure that one of your connected devices with a built in server has not connected? 
That is why I suggest that you switch off connected devices to see if that removes the phantom channel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Stringwalker 

As already has been said it could be a device in your house that has a WiFi remote. 

With the phantom 5Ghz wifi signal, I assume you are using a WiFi Analyser what is the MAC address of the device transmitting the signal. From the MAC address you should be able to identify the manufacture of the device which will hopefully help you identify what it is.

Post here if you need further help.

Dan

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Hi, thanks again, I think your correct, the ghost networks MAC address is, I think identical to my roku.

As it's started coming and going I can't check, but the open network MAC address was very similar to the ghost one.

There's been I bit of a privacy issue with roku, I found out from a review on Amazon, checked and found out there were a few articles about this and when I read it's terms and conditions it was stated there.

Roku can not only monitor what you watch, stream from your phone, all of the expected privacy things, but they can detect all connected devices, there model numbers everything, but they can also scan you router for router type, connected devices, and scan all the routers around you or in range for there signal strength, ISP provider, everything which a WiFi analyser can do.

I just can't figure out the open network, reason is I use to pick up BT router with a secure, hidden and open network, this was some distance away and the MAC addresses and router maker were different.

Did he have a roku to?
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Yes it pops up when remote is touched, same MAC as Roku.

I know for a fact that my chrome cast could leave an open network, it sorted itself out but I have seen other chrome cast with open connections.

Is it the Roku creating the open network? Thanks again.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Is it the Roku creating the open network?

Yes it is, mine is the same.

Dan/

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Fix
That's a relief, many thanks. Haven't seen it since Tuesday so not sure why it comes and goes.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

The WiFi transmits on the same frequency it receives on, that is why the channel is the same as your Router.

As I share the same SSID name for 2.4 and 5GHz wireless networks, depending on its mood the Roku could be connected to either.

Hopefully one less thing to worry about

Dan.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Only thing is my Roku is only rarely used and unplugged, will see what happens when unplugged tomorrow.

It was unplugged Tuesday and I was picking up the open network, forgot about that. Will monitor over the next few days, but it's most likely something connected as you stated, I can get rid of it by disabling the 5GHz WiFi.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

My 5GHz WiFi has always had different name, same password.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I stopped using a Hub One for WiFi some time due to poor signal across my house, now using TP-Link device which supports One Mesh.

Hub One is now just providing DHCP, firewall, port forwarding and the broadband connection.

Dan

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Thanks again for your help, yeah it's pretty bad for settings and the 5GHz WiFi.

If the Access control worked so it didn't rely on an internet time and couldn't be so easily bypassed I would be ok.

But teenage step kids make it a bit of a nightmare.