cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One device loses wifi connection to Hub One after a couple of minutes after turning on

evilbhonda

One device loses wifi connection to Hub One after a couple of minutes after turning on

I have a problem with devices losing wifi connection with my Hub One router.  The issues started with a single Android device a few months ago that refused to stay connected to the wifi, but that appears to have settled down all by itself.  We also have a PC that's affected that has recently been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - after the upgrade, it frequently loses connection.

After a lot of troubleshooting (including a lot of the suggestions in https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363), I've got the router to a state where only one device is having a problem, but I can't figure out how to reliably get this working.

The device with the most problems is this PC that connects on 2.4GHz only.  When the router has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled (either synchronised or with different SSIDs), the PC will connect when it turns on, but after a couple of minutes it will lose wifi - it appears to be connected, but Windows reports 'No Internet access'.  Restarting the router lets the PC automatically connect again, and all is well for another couple of minutes, then loses it again.  During this time, devices that are connected via 5GHz are unaffected and work as expected.  Other devices that are connected to 2.4GHz at the same time can also lose connection after a couple of minutes, and seem to behave in the same way as the PC.

The best situation I've found is to disable 5GHz entirely.  All other devices still connect without a problem, without losing connection.  The PC still loses connection in the same way after a couple of minutes, but this time, after restarting the router, it reconnects automatically and maintains a connection for the rest of the day (7+ hours).  However after turning the PC off, and coming to turn it back on the following morning, the same problem is found - loses connection after 2 minutes, restart router, then it's fine for the day.

I've tested the PC with another wireless connection, and it can connect and maintain a connection with that, so I doubt it's a problem with the PC.  And note that when I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled on the router, I experience similar problems with devices that are connected using 2.4GHz.

I've read a lot about other people having wifi issues that are similar to this, but I don't know what else I can try.

And I think I might be on the latest router firmware - 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1 (updated 14/07/21).

What can I do to get this router completely working again, or do I need to resort to replacing it?

1 REPLY 1
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: One device loses wifi connection to Hub One after a couple of minutes after turning on

Hiya @evilbhonda, I am really sorry for the issues being experienced with your WiFi and for the inconvenience this is causing.

You are on the latest firmware version and to be honest, it does certainly sound like an unusual issue.

In the interest of ruling out an issue with the router itself, I'll get you one ordered. I'm having an issue at the moment which won't allow me to order this, so I'll get this picked up tomorrow for you and send confirmation once done.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team