cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldie Router Question

RoyCullen

Oldie Router Question

I hesitate to ask this at the risk of being told there are dozens of similar answers (I did search honestly!).
I've just returned to Plusnet and want to use my Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 router.  I've been supplied with the Netgear Smarthub 2 and the modem block too.
Doing my research, I notice one set of answers indicate using the earlier smarthub model and then putting an ethernet lead between the router to the Nighthawk (can't help but think of Allo, Allo when I use that term!) internet input. However, I was wondering whether that was still the best option (it was a 3 year old answer)?
Should I connect from the modem block directly to the router? If so, is there a guide online to instruct how to do that?
Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Oldie Router Question

I've been supplied with the Netgear Smarthub 2 and the modem block too.

@RoyCullen I'm confused, I'd like to try and understand exactly what you've got so that I can suggest the best configuration.

Netgear dont do a SmartHub 2. Do you mean the PlusNet Hub 2 ? and what is the modem block ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RoyCullen

Hi
yes it is the plusnet hub 2.... its basically the same as the BT Smarthub 2 I had just in white (hence my description).  I also have a couple of Huawei/Bt fibre modems which I got a while ago as I was told to use a third party router. Hope that answers it sufficently

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, it does.

Set the Hub 2 to bridge mode , it then acts just like a modem.

From the hub homepage, accessed via going to 192.168.1.254 on a browser.

On the home page select the “Advanced settings” box in the bottom right.
Then "Broadband" in the top left.
The scroll down to the very bottom of the page and select the “Bridge mode” check box.

Then connect an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the RAX80 to LAN port 1,2 or 3 ( not the red port 4) on the Hub 2

Configure the RAX80 WAN connection for PPPoE with your PlusNet username and password.

That's it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RoyCullen

Thank you.... will try this tomorrow as its TV time and I couldn't stand the violence of trying to interrupt wifi in the household on an evening. Greatly appreciated.