Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy router - makes a loud buzzing noise

FIXED
bethallan76

Noisy router - makes a loud buzzing noise

Hi,

I have had my router since mid 2016, and in the last 6months or so it has started buzzing rather loudly when in use, in particular with the 5GHz connection. Does this mean that it might be on its way out?

Thanks for any advice.

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Noisy router - makes a loud buzzing noise

Hello @bethallan76,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum. We are aware of an issue with some of our routers where this occurs when using the 5Ghz frequency. This doesn't mean the router is faulty, however I appreciate the noise can cause an annoyance. You disable the 5ghz frequency and use the 2.4Ghz connection.

To do this please follow the steps below;

Please connect to your router via an Ethernet cable or wireless to do this.

1. Open Internet Explorer or your browser of choice, delete the contents of the address bar, and enter 192.168.1.254

2. When you press "Enter" or "Return", you will see a page with information about your connection, click "settings" at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password.

3. The password is found on the back of your router labelled "Admin password"

4. You will now see the settings page.

5. Under "Settings" click on "Wireless".

6. Click on the "5GHz" under "Wireless"

7. Click no where it states "Sync with 2.4GHz"

8. Click no where it states "wireless network enabled"

9.Click apply at the bottom of the screen.

If will show a red wireless symbol on the router  which is nothing to worry about, as it is confirming the router has made the adjustments requested.

Please get back to us if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
bethallan76

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for this. I have set it to the 2.4Ghz connection only.  The buzzing is still audible. Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks again.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @bethallan76,

Thank you for trying this. I'm sorry to hear that your router is still making a buzzing noise.

Please can you factory reset your router by pushing something into the rest pinhole on the back for at least 15 seconds? Once you've done this, please run through the steps again to disable 5gHz. Please let us know if the issue persists once you've done this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
bethallan76

Hi EmilyD,

I've factory reset my router, and followed the steps provided by Sammy to disable 5GHz. The buzzing is less than it was - not a constant buzzing, rather an intermittent buzzing, but still there.

Thanks.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Fix

Hi @bethallan76, thanks for getting back to us and we're sorry to hear the nosie persists.

I have updated you regarding this issue through a ticket on your account. Click on the link below to view my response:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=189195123

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team