cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Router!!

K_S
Hooked

No Router!!

Signed up for my plusnet account and the switchover happened on the date promised.  Received various text saying that the broadband was active and the last one was we’ve just ordered your router!!

My current router is locked to that provider and any time I’ve switched provider before the new router is sent out prior to the switch. 

This leaves you paying for something you can’t use and given the amount of home working it could be really awkward.

Is this a new thing or is it just poor service?

5 REPLIES 5
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: No Router!!

I am quite sure it is not a deliberate tactic. Suggest you phone CS and ask when it was sent out to you. They should have a tracking number.

Not that you should have to go to any trouble but maybe a friend or relative has an older BT router that would do the job in the .meantime.

Locked routers should be banned as ultimately they are just another piece of electronic scrap!

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@K_S  I suggest finding a BT HH6 on ebay or gumtree, about £5 to £15, and setting it up using the excellent guide on this forum. The HH6 is far better than the Hub One, which is a cheap and cheerful device. I keep the Hub 1 as a spare.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Longliner wrote:

I keep the Hub 1 as a spare.

Standard procedure for PN customers!

K_S
Hooked

Locked routers shouldn’t be allowed and it wasn’t even any good hence the change of ISP.

Have managed to get online using an old TP-Link router which will do for the moment, but will have to look at the alternatives.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

TP-Link products are quite good IMHO.  See how things go when you get your PN one.

Simple connection speed check HERE. 

Welcome to PN !