cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router - no connection to CCTV

emmaw169

New router - no connection to CCTV

I recently was sent a new Plusnet one hub as my previous router had stopped working and now my cctv app doesn't work.

I have two cctv cameras both installed in the loft (one views the street out the front and the other the back garden).

They have been working fine but we have recently had a new broadbad router installed as the old one broke and since then I can't view the cameras through the DMSS app. It says connection failed (both when iPhone is connected to WiFi or 4G). 

is the new router causing the issue? Do i need to set it up anywhere.

I have tried resetting it and looking at settings on the main box but can't seem to see anything.

Thanks,

Emma

7 REPLIES 7
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: New router - no connection to CCTV

How do your CCTV cameras connect to your existing router?  Is it with ethernet cable or wifi ?

If wifi, have you either:

a)  Reset and/or configured your wifi cameras to connect to new hub's Wifi SSID,   or

b)  change the wifi settings on new hub to match your old defunct hub wifi SSID and password, to allow your existing cameras to automatically connect.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi Emma,

When you say it stopped working, did that occur when you changed the router?

It is possible it is not on the same subnet (unlikely). Or do you allow DHCP to your devices and does it work?

emmaw169

The cameras are connected via a cable I believe but there is also a device up there that does something with the wifi?

Sorry I’ve no idea what SSID means or how to do any of that?
emmaw169

Yeah I noticed it after we had the new router although not 100% as I hadn’t checked it in a while. But have been having soooo many issues with my broadband lately - constantly on the phone to plusnet.

What does subnet and DCHP mean?
bill888
Champion

SSID is the 'wifi network name'.

I think you need to list make and model number of your cameras and the mystery 'device' that you say uses wifi.

When you say cameras are connected by cable, I presume this is cable from each camera back to the Hub One, not the 'power' cable to the cameras.

Who installed the cameras originally for you?

emmaw169

Hello,

They are Dahua cameras and an NVR box. Afraid I don't know the models etc - not sure we were left much paperwork by the installation company.

The cameras are connected to the NVR via cable but not the router. The router is downstairs in our living room and the CCTV equipment is upstairs in the loft. It must connect via Wifi.

They were installed by a local company but they have now sold their business to a new company and the new one isn't very good (they chased us for 2 months for payment for an alarm we don't have) so reluctant to ask them for help.

Emma 

bill888
Champion

If there is no cable between the router and the NVR, then it does suggest the NVR uses wifi to connect to previous now defective Hub One.

I would suggest you access the new Hub One with a web browser, and change the Wifi SSID and password to match what was used previously on the defective Hub One. Your NVR may then be able to connect to new Hub One using existing Wifi settings stored in the NVR.