Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub One - some ethernet not working

FIXED
uvavu
Dabbler

New Hub One - some ethernet not working

I was sent a new Hub One some time ago. I already have one but I mentioned to someone at PN that I'd had DNS issues that were only resolved by setting DNS servers directly on connected devices. They said this might be fixed in the new Hub. I hadn't bothered trying it until today but some recent flakiness made me wonder whether the old one might be on its way out so I tried a switch to the new one.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting any trouble. I do have some non-default settings that I wanted to carry over but there is nothing very complicated about this router. I have an existing custom WiFi access point name and password that I wanted to retain so that I don't need to change all devices. I also wanted to set the router IP address to 192.168.0.1 and set a manual DHCP range, again so that existing network continues to work. That is all and this was straightforward to set.

After doing this, WiFi connections were fine, as were the devices with static IP. I could see the internet from WiFi connected devices and I could access the static IP devices (essentially servers) from WiFi. However my DHCP ethernet connected devices initially could not see a network at all and then after restarts could see the router but not the internet. As I said the router was connected to the internet and I could access it from WiFi devices.

I was unable to resolve this and needed everything to be back to normal for work tomorrow so I gave up and switched back to the old Hub One. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this. The weird thing to me is that the internet connection is fine and the ethernet to router connection is fine but ethernet can't see internet.I wish I had tried to ping an internet address from one of the static IP ethernet devices. My suspicion is that would have worked but can't say for sure.
14 REPLIES 14
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: New Hub One - some ethernet not working

Devices on a network seeing each other and not being able to contact off network IP address like the internet points to a default gateway issue on those devices.

If the Hub One is 192.168.0.1 then that should be the default gateway IP Address for all devices on your network requiring a internet connection via the Hub One.

uvavu
Dabbler

Yes, this is precisely why I changed the router IP address. Before I had the Hub One most routers I owned had 192.168.0.1 as their default address so I went along with this and have modified later routers to match the existing setup of devices on the network.

This means that the static IP devices already have the correct gateway set. But I don't recall ever having to explicitly set the gateway on DHCP assigned devices.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Provided the device IP address is allocated by DHCP then YES there should be no need to define the default gateway IP on any device. I take it all you did was change the Hub One from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.1 to match you preferred IP address range and set up the DHCP address pool to your choice. With no change to Subnet Mask

Did you try a ping to the Hub One on the devices which couldn't connect to the internet, (you wished you did that) did you try nslookup to check DNS was working?

uvavu
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

I take it all you did was change the Hub One from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.1 to match you preferred IP address range and set up the DHCP address pool to your choice. With no change to Subnet Mask

Yes that's exactly what I did.

did you try nslookup to check DNS was working?

No, I was hot and bothered and unfortunately didn't do a few things I could have done. I will need to try this again when I can afford the time to be offline. I had just wondered if there was any obvious explanation that jumped out to anyone for what I was seeing. I don't think there isn't too much that I could have got wrong really.

One slightly odd thing that I didn't mention and this might be a red herring but the broadband username on the new Hub had some sort of default setting like "user@..." (I didn't note it down) and I did not need to input a password at any point. The old Hub has my expected username *******@plusdsl.net. Having a look around my old router admin pages I can't see where I would have input the PN user name and password. I am guessing that none of this really matters as long as the router is connecting to the internet.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@uvavu wrote:

One slightly odd thing that I didn't mention and this might be a red herring but the broadband username on the new Hub had some sort of default setting like "user@..." (I didn't note it down) and I did not need to input a password at any point. The old Hub has my expected username *******@plusdsl.net. Having a look around my old router admin pages I can't see where I would have input the PN user name and password. I am guessing that none of this really matters as long as the router is connecting to the internet.

It does matter. Interent access on the default setup@plusdsl.net username will be heavily restricted.

It would be useful if you could share the last three digits of the hub serial number, the current firmware version (shown in the footer of the Hub Manager at http://192.168.1.254).

When you next get the oppotunity, it would also be useful to see the Event Log entries when filtering by TR069/CWMP. Event Log is found under Advanced Settings > Technical > Event Log from memory.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

For the Hub One it is Troubleshooting >Event Log

HTH

uvavu
Dabbler

Thanks bob. I will see if I can do this this evening and post here.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@uvavu  The first thing to do is to enter the correct username and password in the router. Then see how it goes.

uvavu
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@uvavu  The first thing to do is to enter the correct username and password in the router. Then see how it goes.

I'm just looking at the admin pages for my old router. If I wanted to set the username and password there I don't see where I would do it. There are no editable fields.

I am sure that when I switched on the new router yesterday and first connected to it that there was no obvious opportunity to input this information. Where would I do this and why is it not made more obvious on first use?

As a guess - do I factory reset before doing anything else?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

With the Hub One you can see the current broadband username on the home page.

To change the broadband username from the home page >Advanced Settings >Internet

You should be able to view your current password, it is the same password as used for the members centre login

Edit: suggest you reply to @bobpullen request as he can check the management system to make sure your new Hub One is registered and if it is your new Hub One should auto configure with your broadband username when going through the start up process. A factory reset might prompt the Hub one to auto configure on booting.

Dan

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@uvavu To edit the login details you need to click disconnect first. Then you will have access to the fields.
That's RPM to you!!
uvavu
Dabbler

@RPMozley wrote:
@uvavu To edit the login details you need to click disconnect first. Then you will have access to the fields.

Thanks - was just looking again and I wondered if that might be the case. Will have another look at the new one later.

uvavu
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

It would be useful if you could share the last three digits of the hub serial number, the current firmware version (shown in the footer of the Hub Manager at http://192.168.1.254).

Serial number: 382

Firmware: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

I connected the router to my laptop this evening but didn't have anything plugged into the DSL socket so obviously no internet connection. I was able to correct the username and password ready for when I attempt to switch the router again. Hopefully this will solve my problem now but I might not get chance to try again until the weekend. I will report back either way. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

uvavu
Dabbler

The good news is that I tried switching router again today after having done the setup of the new one "offline" the other day and it worked straightaway with no further messing about. 

It remains to be seen whether the DNS issues I think I was still seeing on my phone will be resolved now. In any case I feel happier that I have a new router as my experience is that they do start to develop issues after a few years and I thought I had been seeing some signs of this recently with the old one.

Thanks again for everyone's help.