Did you mean: 

Need guest network access

FIXED
grandad
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Need guest network access

Morning all.

Currently have Fibre to the cabinet and using the supplied plusnet router.

Not happy to connect household devices which don't have security software to my main wifi so would like to have guest network. Had this previously with old router but lost it when I started using the Hub One.

There was a time when I was sufficiently capable of sorting this myself - but over the last few years I feel that I have been a bit left behind when it comes to broadband/ISPs/routers, etc.

Any help much appreciated.

I am happy - within reason to buy a new modem router - if needed, but I have no idea if there is any kit I could add to current equipment to provide totally secure guest network.

19 REPLIES 19
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Need guest network access

Hi @grandad May be corrected but I think hub one does not support your request, may I suggest you connect a second router as an access point and use that for the guests

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@grandad 

Was your previous service FTTC - if so, you could possibly use your old router. The settings required can be found at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

grandad
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  Correct - the hub one does not offer guest network. I am reluctant to use my old router as I never really got on with it.

grandad
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion but as per my above reply I really don’t want to use my old router as I didn’t get on with it (web interface, software, settings etc).

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @grandad Alternatively find a family/neighbour or friend who is/has got an old router and use that as an access point, otherwise no guests.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Adding an Access Point with a different SSID will not isolate you from the primary network.

@grandad 

Many third party devices come with a guest network. What you need is an ADSL/VDSL combined modem/router with a guest network to replace your hub one. Start with looking at tp-link, Asus and Netgear.

If you find a unit that fits your budget you can always refer back here for an opinion on its suitability.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

grandad
Grafter

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I had a nagging feeling that adding another router wouldn't isolate guests from the main netwrok which is exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

I've previously owned Netgear and TP Link routers although I have to say that I found it easier to set up the Firewall rules on the Netgear.

I've also heard some comments about certain of the BT hubs having a guest network but am having trouble trying to clarify this.

I do need to be careful though in what I buy. I'm used to having the modem combined with the router but so many of today's offerings seem to be router only. is this correct?

Thanks again.

Baldrick1

@grandad 

The Business versions of BT hubs have a ‘Guest’ facility BUT this is for use in pubs, shops etc. It is totally open with no password required so that anyone can get access, not just your guests. I use a Business Smarthub 6 and this feature is turned OFF.

Yes you need to read specifications and get a combined modem/router. With the growth of cable systems and FTTP there are many routers out there as this newer digital technology does not use broadband to get the digital data to your property so do not require a broadband modem.

Moderator and Customer

grandad
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Thank you again.

Re FTTP and FTTC. there is where I think I have much to learn/catch up on.

In simple terms, is it correct to say that FTTC needs a broadband modem and FTTP does not?

Baldrick1

@grandad 

That is correct. With FTTP  the fibre is terminated at the property with an ONT to which a router is cabled.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero

@grandad 

The following link will show the OR ONT (Optical Network Terminator) which is installed. A router is still required but is connected via an Ethernet cable which gives room for manoeuvre. The second link has explanations of ADSL, VDSL and FTTP.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mi...

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc.htm

Brian

grandad
Grafter

Fix

@Baldrick1 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

I’m beginning to understand things a little more now and hopefully as/when I replace my router I now know what to look for (VDSL modem).

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ONT which I’m guessing connects to a router via its WAN port?

grandad
Grafter

@bmc 

Thank you for the reply.

I’ve had a look at the second link.

The first one didn’t work, but no matter - I used it to redirect me to a diagram of a BT ONT

bmc
Hero

@grandad 

For some reason the copy and paste of the link went wrong. This should work.

ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.html 

Brian

Edit - the link appears to be too long so I've chopped off the https//www  bit.