cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My router is dead, how to order a new one?

FIXED
Arthurus

My router is dead, how to order a new one?

Hi all,

My router Technicolor TG582n that I got 7 years ago just died (it doesn't turn on anymore).

How can I order a new one? I couldn't find any link or form to do that on my account page.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: My router is dead, how to order a new one?

Wide selection on well known auction websites. OpenReach ones there too, which can be configured to PN Settings; they're miles better than what PN supply.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Pnet will probably give you a replacement but it takes a while. In your shoes go for a BT Home Hub 6 -- about £10-£30 on ebay or Gumtree. Easy to set up if you follow guide on this forum. Far better performance than PN Hub One and as for the good old TG582, no comparison.

Arthurus

After fiddling with the power button, I managed to turn the router on again. It seems that the power button has become defective, and doesn't always register when pressing it. So I think getting a new router would still be the safest option.

And thanks for the previous replies, I might take a look at the auction sites. But if I want to get a replacement from Plusnet, what is the process to do so? Should I wait for someone from Plusnet to reply to that post with instructions?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Arthurus 

The first question is are you on a contract and if so how long is it since you renewed it/how far are you from the end? If it's recently been taken out then ring the customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and ask for one. If it is soon to run out or you are paying the expensive monthly price on a monthly rolling contract basis then it's worth ringing the customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and see if you can negotiate a new contract and ask for a new hub. It wil cost you just the P&P charge.

If you buy a hub from Plusnet then it will cost you about £100. In this case it's better to get a BT Smarthub. You will find configuration instructions pinned to the top of this Forum. It's not expensive and will at least tide you over until you ask for a new Plusnet hub when your contract runs out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Arthurus

I renewed my unlimited broadband contract for another 12 months on march 2nd, so hopefully I'm still eligible for getting a new hub as part of the renewal.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Fix

@Arthurus 

Definitely worth ringing but don't leave it any longer. If you are on ADSL ask for a Hub One, If fibre, a Hub Two. If they say no then come back here.

Let us know how you get on anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Arthurus

I just gave them a call, they will send me a new router and I just need to pay for postage and packaging.

Thanks a lot for your help Baldrick1!