cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fibre is now RJ11...not RJ45...what are my options?

johnlewisdesign

My fibre is now RJ11...not RJ45...what are my options?

Hi, I've been a long time user of PlusNet Fibre broadband, first as FTTC (Openreach box: RJ45 + TG582n) then as FTTP (Openreach box: RJ45 and PlusNet Hub 1) now a third house move brought me back to FTTC (PlusNet Hub 1 only). Problem is, my £175 Rolls Royce Asus RT-AC68U router only has a WAN port, and by some slight of hand I have ended up on a crappy RJ11 cable with a Plusnet Hub One router...I'd really like to continue using my amazing Asus router with it's VPN and everything else as I paid good money to do just that, without having a third wheel router I never wanted sat there in my hallway taking up space and being all purple and white and garish. What are my options here?

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: My fibre is now RJ11...not RJ45...what are my options?

I'm afraid that on FTTC you will need some type of VDSL modem in front of your ASUS router. The Hub one cannot be switched to modem only (bridge) mode and so you will need a separate modem. You could either try and get a BT fibre modem from ebay or something else which can act as a VSDL modem. Personally I use one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200290250|agid:12504951290|ti... switched to bridge mode ( it's not very pretty though! ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dfunked
Grafter

Either buy an Openreach VDSL modem on eBay etc as suggested, or as I did maybe look at selling your current router and get an all in one solution (the DSL AC68U)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The Asus DSL AC68U does not have a good VDSL2 modem and it's performance is suspect. I believe there is thread on this forum where users are having problems with that device. I would suggest using a Huwaei HG612 3B modem as previously supplied by Openreach in conjuction with the Asus RT AC68U router.

dfunked
Grafter

Doesn't really answer their need to not have ugly hardware cluttering up their hallway though.
I'm one of the people who had issues recently with my DSL AC68U, but that was after two years of solid connections with months of uptime any time I went in to check...
My recent issues really do seem to be due to restarting it numerous times due to firmware update issues. DLM kicked in which would have happened with any other modem/router combo, and the line is recovering by itself as it should.... I certainly wouldn't let this stop me from recommending the router to anybody else.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

The OP wants to use his Asus RT AC68U router so he has to have a separate modem.

dfunked
Grafter

They also DON'T want an additional bit of equipment, so either way some sort of sacrifice will have to be made... It was just a suggestion, and given that it's practically a like for like replacement for their current router is a fairly sensible one.
johnlewisdesign

Cheers guys, as I thought...going to attempt a VPN connection on my Asus connected from WAN on it to GigE on the PlusNetHub router and see what occurs. Done it before, so guess I have to do it again 😕 Gutted I can't just get a converter really, surely the manufacturers could make an internal switch from RJ11 to RJ45 quite easily rather than making 2 different types! I'll keep my eyes peeled for old clients with an openreach box I can stash under the shelf to save the space, or get one of those TP Link ones as they are nice and small like the space I have to put it.

All the best and thanks for your help.

John

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

It is a lot more than just a change in connector type, your Asus RT AC68U does not have any modem circuitry inside it so cannot be connected to the telephone line, that's why you need a separate modem.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

The Asus DSL AC68U does not have a good VDSL2 modem and it's performance is suspect. I believe there is thread on this forum where users are having problems with that device.

Not wanting to sound like an Asus fanboy, but there are many users of this Forum who are using a DSL-AC86U without significant problems. As I have commented elsewhere, I suspect those having issues are using the router's own Dynamic Line Adjustment facilities (intended for use in environments where there is no infrastructure DLM), which causes conflict with BTOR's DLM and frequent disconnection.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a DSL AC68U in a drawer upstairs as using it on ADSL it would drop connection daily and needed a nudge to get it going again.

When I switched to FTTC I tried the router which worked fine however by this time I had already purchased a Billion 8800 AXL.

There is/was a lengthy topic on an Asus forum about the issue.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine