Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/Router upgrade - Wi-Fi issues

FIXED
jpduarte
Hooked

Modem/Router upgrade - Wi-Fi issues

Hi,

I have a Plusnet Broadband and the supplied router is a Sagecom 2704N Plusnet.

Lately, Wi-Fi connection is breaking down very often, Wi-Fi signal seems to be available but then there's no connection to the internet or the connection is quite slow or full of hiccups. I think there might be an issue with the router but I've tried to reset it a few times and even factory reset it. The issue eventually resumes.

During those periods, I've tried to use my laptop as a hotspot connected via ethernet to the router. This works quite well and the conditions are similar to the Wi-Fi (location of the router, etc...). It happens that the Hotspot works and the regular Wi-Fi doesn't.

Is it possible to replace the router with a better one? This one doesn't seem to work as it should and I've just renewed my contract. 

The hotspot solution is far from ideal as the laptop would have to be turned on constantly.

I'm considering 3rd party routers, but I think this is an issue that Plusnet should care about and resolve.

I hope that someone can help.

Best regards,

João

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Modem/Router upgrade - Wi-Fi issues

At renewal you can normally persuade them to issue you with the latest router FOC. Failing that, buy an OPENREACH one from a well known auction site. Much better performer and can be confgured to PN settings.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Gel  Openreach used to do modems, they do not do routers. I suspect you mean a BT HH6.

HTH

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hiya João, 

Thanks for getting in touch and I am really sorry you are experiencing an issue with your connection. I can imagine how annoying this is and I really would like to help sort it for you. 

I appreciate you taking the time to narrow down the issue to the wireless connection only and I do think a new router would be best to rule your current one out as the cause. 

The router would be free but there would be a £6.99 P&P cost, can you update the ticket here; if you are happy for me to add that to your next bill and get that ordered for you? Get back to me here once you have updated the ticket if that is the case. 

Alternatively you can run through the steps here to see if these help improve the wireless connection first. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@SammyM Looks like the ticket link you provided has disappeared from the post.
That's RPM to you!!
jpduarte
Hooked

Hi @SammyM,

As @RPMozley says, I cannot see the link to the ticket.

Currently, I don't want to order the new router, as I ordered a third-party one already. I'll try to see how it goes and I will let you know if the issue still persists. Meanwhile, the same issue has been happening occasionally, since I've created this thread.

Just out of curiosity, what model would the new router be, in this case? 

PS: Nevermind, I got an e-mail that directs me to the ticket, so all good on that subject. 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Fix

Ah sorry about that, not sure why it didn't attach it. I do feel like my systems are against me today Cheesy

Let me know when you have replied and I will sort it. The new router would be a Hub one Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jpduarte
Hooked

Hello again,

I've replied to the ticket, but as I said in my reply, I don't want the new router, for the time being, as I ordered a third-party one, from another source, that I think might solve the issue.

Should we keep the ticket open and see how it goes, or close it and possibly re-open it later, in case the new Plusnet router is indeed required, assuming the problem will still happen by then?

Please do as you find better.

Best regards,
João

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi João,

No worries, it looks like we've responded to the ticket this morning, leaving it open for the next 14 days. 

We can always create a new ticket for you if we need to though. Let us know how your 3rd party router goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet