Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server over USB problem

FIXED
mermoon

Media server over USB problem

Hi Guys
I'm hoping someone with network knowledge can help. I've plugged in a 128gb USB stick and also tested a 250gig usb powered hard drive.

Both show up on my phone when I search for them and I can access them, they also both show up on windows 11 and I can access them.
However , I can't seem to access either of them on my LG TV.
I know it's not my TV because under "Media" my TV picks up my PC just fine and I can stream from their.
Does anyone know if there is any settings I need to change on the router in order for my TV to find the USB sticks' media?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Media server over USB problem

1. @mermoon  Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you are referring to the Plusnet hub USB connection?

This only supports the SMB1 protocol. To be honest I am surprised that you can connect using your Windows computer unless you have enabled SMB1. This obsolete protocol is generally not used because of security concerns. Possibly it is not supported by your TV.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mermoon

Thanks. I'm not 100% when it comes to networking.
I'm also surprised as I've seen loads of threads on here with people doing the same thing. Some creating home media networks using the USB and an external Hard drive.
I'm almost there , I can connect to it with all the devices except my TV.
I'm not sure how my phone and PC does it. I just selected add network and it scanned it. On Windows I just turned on media streaming.

Thanks
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fix

I think most TVs won't work with simple network fileshares. They need to see a DNLA server instead.

If the router doesn't have a DNLA server to serve the files on the USB drive, won't work.

You can buy a Raspberry Pi Zero 2, run a DNLA server on that and power the Raspberry Pi Zero through the USB port of the router. That's what I do. My Samsung TV can see the DNLA server.

mermoon

Thanks ,yeah I've since ran loads of tests and come to the DLNA conclusion.

Funny you mention the Raspberry Pi, I was looking at a small android box or mini PC to use as a standalone media sserver,then remembered I had built a Raspberry Pi back in 2015. I had the same idea , just haven't bought one yet.

The only thing that bugs me is that certain MKV files wont play on my LG TV as the codecs aren't supported. It's not many, but occasionally I'd have to play them through my PC.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@mermoon wrote:

The only thing that bugs me is that certain MKV files wont play on my LG TV as the codecs aren't supported. It's not many, but occasionally I'd have to play them through my PC.

@mermoon 

I don't know the present situation with LG TVs or how old yours is, but I do recall several years ago they wouldn't play files with DTS audio, ISTR because LG were too tight to pay for the codec licence.

I've no idea whether or not they'll play x265 video files, but if you're referring to downloaded .MKV files, perhaps you could check for incompatible ones by looking at the filename or accompanying info before downloading and simply choose other versions.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@mermoon 

A couple of observations.

I've used Handbrake for transcoding with some success in the past https://handbrake.fr/

If you want an "always on" media server you could do worse than consider buying a Synology NAS.

Even a single drive version would suffice for this application (although to "futureproof" personally I would buy a two drive unit).

Some versions can also do some degree of transcoding "in the box".

I am the satisfied customer....