Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make changes to Hub 2 router?

FIXED
Pinmac1
Hooked

Make changes to Hub 2 router?

I had Full Fibre installed today and now the proud owner of a shiny new Hub 2. All seems OK so far but are there any recommended tweaks I could/should make on Hub 2 Manager please?

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Make changes to Hub 2 router?

@Pinmac1 welcome to the community.

Is this just a general question? 

The Hub two locked down to prevent any changes from the defaults with regards to it's connection.

The expected options are available like port forwarding, renaming the Wireless name but NOT splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz names, fixing devices to use the same IP Address.

If you looking for anything special maybe use a 3rd party router which supports WiFi 6 as the Hub two does not.

Pinmac1
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I'm not specifically looking for anything, it's just that it's my first time with Full Fibre and I'm used to tinkering a bit with the router settings in the past so just wanted to check that there isn't anything I should be doing e.g. for security. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

@Pinmac1 

There’s nothing that you should be doing but be aware that you have the option to change the DNS resolver from Plusnet's to your choice of third party servers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Pinmac1
Hooked

Thanks, Baldrick1, that's good to know. I didn't understand the last bit so I'm going to assume that I don't have to worry about it 😀

paul_blitz
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fix

"DNS" is the clever service that your devices use invisibly to convert the web site names (eg www.plus.net) to their actual IP addresses.

When your device (eg your mobile phone) connects to your wifi, the router tells it "just ask me, I'll find out for you". In turn, the broadband router is told by the network where to forward those requests to, and that works fine... until it breaks... like it did a while ago.

So, on the router you can tell it "don't use the DNS servers that Plusnet say, here's some better ones". There's a load of VERY resilient free public DNS servers around, like "1.1.1.1" and "8.8.8.8".

For the majority of users (probably includes you!) it's generally NOT a big deal, so if it's not broken, don't try to fix it! It usually works fine as it is.

Pinmac1
Hooked

Thanks for the explanation, @paul_blitz. I think you're right and I'm better off leaving well alone! 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Statistically the Plusnet DNS servers are no better or worse than all the others, unless you have a specific problem best to leave alone.