cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Ethernet

samd
Dabbler

Loss of Ethernet

I use a couple of tp-link AV1300 Powerline Adapters solely for ethernet connection for my AV setup.  A few days ago I suffered a complete loss of that connection and have tried factory resets on both devices numerous times to no avail.  I happened to have spare devices and these also failed to work. I know my ethernet output from Hub two is fine as I have a wired connection to my nearby den. Any ideas please?

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Re: Loss of Ethernet

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

A few days ago I suffered a complete loss of that connection and have tried factory resets on both devices numerous times to no avail.  I happened to have spare devices and these also failed to work. I know my ethernet output from Hub two is fine as I have a wired connection to my nearby den.

Assuming you tried the Powerlines in the known good port of the Hub 2, then it would point towards a problem with the electrical wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@samd 

In addition to trying a different set of Powerline adapters and proved the hub port to be OK, have you checked / tried replacing the ethernet cables connected to the Powerline adapters at each end?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

@samd 

Have you tried using the TP-Link utility "tpPLC_ Utility_Windows"? The download can be found on the TP-Link site for the device used. The utility should display found devices.

If possible I would suggest plugging the adapters into adjacent power socket to set them up.

HTH

samd
Dabbler

Many thanks to both for your quick responses.  I have tried all ports on Hub 2 and for each with 2 proven ethernet cables.  Direct from ports to laptop show 510-ish but plug same cable into tp-link and 0.

I am unsure what electrical wiring is referred to and how I would access please.

In all cases, the 'powerline' (not power) LED does not show and, normally, I would then think the tp-link was at fault but I have 5 of the blessed things all displaying the same problem!

samd
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van Thanks - yes I use that facility and have factory reset all devices with it.  I have a 4 gang wall socket immediately below the Hub 2 - less than a yard away.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@samd 

To try to "prove" your mains wiring, as suggested by @MisterW , the easiest way is to plug both of a Powerline adapter "pair" in to the two sockets of a dual gang 13Amp socket outlet - no mains wiring in between the two adapters! (As suggested by @Dan_the_Van ).

The "mains wiring" mentioned would be the power cables permanently buried in your walls and under the floor boards that connect to your consumer unit or fuse board.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@samd 

Have you tried using the secure option to give them the same network name, rather than using the pair button?

I always set my device using the app where possible.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

I am unsure what electrical wiring is referred to and how I would access please

powerlines use your house electrical circuits to communicate.

Try the powelines in adjacent sockets as suggested, and preferably try different circuits. Houses usually have separate circuits for upstairs , downstairs and kitchen 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

"Houses usually have separate circuits for upstairs , downstairs and kitchen "

I don't know why, but my two storey semi-detached house, built in 1980, (so not particularly old), only has one ring main for the whole house.

That is in addition to a single lighting circuit, and dedicated feeds for the electric cooker and shower, making a grand total of 4 wired fuses in our Consumer Unit - no Miniature Circuit Breakers here!

samd
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van Thanks but it's before the 'pair' stage that the problem occurs.  As said I have a 4 gang mains wall socket into which the hub and tp-link are plugged.  Even though I have reset to factory settings, the tp led for powerline does not light up and using a further ethernet cable into the tp and thence to my laptop gives no result.

I am in the throes of deciding which Mesh system to purchase which may solve my problems but I am still worried that the issue may be something to do with Hubbie!!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@samd 

If you say the power light is not coming on the it would suggest the device is dead, but all five?

For me there are three LED's

Power led - on when plugged into a live mains socket

Powerline - on when powerline network detected

Ethernet - on when device connected 

After a reset I had to add the device to the tp-link powerline app for it to be seen, the powerline LED was off, came on when added to tp-link app using secure network key powerline device key,  I expect it would come on if using default security key

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

@Mr_Paul wrote:

I don't know why, but my two storey semi-detached house, built in 1980, (so not particularly old), only has one ring main for the whole house.

That is because your total floor area is less than 100sq m.

Things have changed since 1980. Whilst updating is not mandatory I would suggest that at the very least you get your consumer unit updated to the latest standard. This will give you greater protection from electrical fires and provide you and your family protection against electrocution should they get across the mains. Such protection is non existent with your current fusing arrangement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 

"That is because your total floor area is less than 100sq m."

It is, in fact according to the estate agent's floor plan from when we purchased this house, the total floor area, including the extension is "approx 88.8 sq metres". It feels significantly bigger than modern houses locally that were built much later. Modern houses seem to be much smaller than older ones - or is that just my imagination?

"Whilst updating is not mandatory I would suggest that at the very least you get your consumer unit updated to the latest standard."

Actually, this was one of the first things that I investigated when we first moved in 12 years ago.

I had an electrician come round, and he said that changing to a "modern" consumer unit with RCD's and MCBs would trigger a requirement to bring the whole house up to modern regulations and require a complete rewire of the whole place. That would obviously have caused significant disruption.

He tested our existing wiring and said that there was no problem with it - so we never pursued it.