cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Hub 1 and 2 via bridging

Joe0208

Linking Hub 1 and 2 via bridging

Hello all,

I know there is already posts out there but I'm so lost. I've got a Hub 1 (not capable of bridging) and a Hub 2 (bridge capable). I have dead spots throughout the house and wanted to utilise the Hub 2 to increase WiFi reach. I thought by setting the Hub 2 to bridging I could use a wired ethernet via the LAN port of Hub 1 to the LAN port on Hub 2 but Hub 2 is not playing ball and is flashing orange. When I link ethernet via Hub 1 LAN to Hub 2 WAN port it shows a purple light on Hub 2 signafying that it is bridging I believe (I have already placed Hub 2 in bridging mode). But it has not broadcast the internet any further so something is drastically wrong. I have some tech knowledge but am a little lost of what I should be doing. If someone could help point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Joe
10 REPLIES 10
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Linking Hub 1 and 2 via bridging

@Joe0208 

Welcome to the forum.

By placing Hub Two into bridging mode it is now working as modem only, therefore all router and wireless functions will be disabled.

So what exactly are you attempting?

Maybe what you really require is a second wireless access point (WAP), so both the Hub One and Two are both providing wireless connection. So if this is the case which device will you be having connected to the internet and as the WAP?

Dan

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Joe0208  Welcome to the forum.

This will never work. Reset your Hub 2. Set the Hub 1 up as an Access Point, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138....

Then connect the two together using one of the yellow LAN sockets at both ends.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Joe0208  when the Hub 2 is in bridge mode , you need to link a LAN port on it to the WAN port on the Hub 1.

However I don't think will do what you are expecting. In bridge mode, the Hub 2 is just a modem, it has no wifi . Your internet access and wifi would only be from the Hub 1

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Joe0208

Dan your a legend, this exactly what I want to do. Does it matter which modem I use as the main modem? Which one do you suggest and how do I go about doing the WAP setup? Once again thank you ever so much for your help 👍

Joe
Baldrick1

@Joe0208 

I answered this back here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Linking-Hub-1-and-2-via-bridging/m-p/1858780#M30991

Use the Hub 2 as the modem/router, the Hub 1 as the WAP. There is little experience of using it as an access point.

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Joe0208 

Just a couple of points come to mind

The Hub Two should have better wireless coverage but you can not split the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, where with the Hub One you can. This can be important if you have 2.4Ghz WIFI devices which have have problems to connecting to a access point where the 2.4 and 5Ghz share the same WiFi name.

I see no reason why you can not make a Hub Two a WAP, the lack of experience is likely be that no one has come up with instructions yet. Not having a Hub Two myself I can not help.

So for now try the instructions posted above.

Dan.

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van 

The reason that I am not sure about using a Hub 2 as a WAP is due to problems I had several years ago when I configured a Smarthub as one. It worked fine except that it kept failing to reconnect to some wireless devices after they were switched off, then back on.the next day. It might be fixed now on later Smarthub and now Smarthub 2 firmware but as you say, there's been no reports on how well it works on a Plusnet Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 

With mesh systems becoming more common place and a desire for WPA3 and WiFi 6 I expect the Hub Two will be used more in bridge mode rather than a WAP with VDSL.

Dan

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van 

I totally agree until FTTP comes along. The inability to split the bands is also a major weakness for WAP use.

Moderator and Customer

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I concur with @Baldrick1 , imho the Home hub 5 and smart hubs are NOT designed to be used as dumb access points.

Their firmwares are designed to seek out a working broadband connection through the grey DSL port (or red FTTP port).  If they fail to find a connection, the hub concludes there is a fault condition, so may reboot and try again within an hour, or simply disable the wifi, until missing broadband fault is corrected..

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-