Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues forwarding a port

FIXED
jameselliott915
Hooked

Issues forwarding a port

Hi there I was hoping someone could help me with a issue forwarding a port.

I am trying to forward a specific port 44158. 

I goto port fowarding> Manage games and apllications> Add new> Then I set it to TCP - port range 44158-44158 (it automatically translates it to 44158) then I apply. > I then manually set the device IP and apply the new rule to the device.

I would assume this would be opening the port for the device. When i check on portchecker.co, using the local IP it still shows as closed on the IP I want it to be open.

What am I doing wrong here?

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Issues forwarding a port

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

I wouldn't set the static IP on the device, use the "Always use this IP address" address option in the network settings.

You also need to configure the forwarding rules to forward the Hellium rule to that device.

Customer / Moderator
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

What am I doing wrong here?

@jameselliott915  you need to put your public IP into the portchecker NOT the internal IP of the device

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jameselliott915
Hooked

Hi

So I have changed the IP to "always use this IP" . When I am on the portforwarding page I have applied the new rule to the device with the IP address 192.168.1.163. 

Is it an issue with the new rule or the device?

jameselliott915
Hooked

Hi

When I use portchecker and use my current IP on my pc it shows as the port being open. But this wont be the same for my new device though right? 

dvorak

If it's showing the port as open then your rule is working correctly
Customer / Moderator
jameselliott915
Hooked

So if it shows on portchecker.co using my PCs public IP and not the devices IP address this means the port is open correctly?

Will it be open just for just that device or all devices in my network?

Sorry if these questions are a little basic, just trying to understand it properly.

Thanks for the help thusfar.

dvorak

It means it's open for the whole Internet!
If you just want it open within your home you don't need to configure any port forwarding rules.
Customer / Moderator
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So if it shows on portchecker.co using my PCs public IP and not the devices IP address this means the port is open correctly?

Your local IP addresses ( 192.168.1.x ) are not visible outside your home network. Only your public IP is visible. Port forwarding tells the router to 'forward' any requests it receives (to the public IP) on the specified port , to the internal device you specify in the forwarding rule

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jameselliott915
Hooked

Thank you guys for the help. The device is now working properly now the port is open.

Again, thank you guys for the help, it is much appreciated.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I'd use this port checker  or this one as it populates your public IP address. Also, the application you are port forwarding to must be running for the test to work. 

Have you checked the status of the Plus Net firewall for your account via the members centre

Logon to the members centre Broadband > Broadband Firewall try turning it off if High or Low. A Hub rebooted is required for this change to take.

Dan.

Edit - see it's now fixed