cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

FIXED
Mgplusenet

Re: Is there a 12 device limit to connected devices.

The dual band hub one seems to working well with more than 12 devices so i consider the issue fixed - thank you so much.

Note regarding the hub one & smart devices - router is dual band so does 2.4GHz and 5GHz. At first unknown to me, my phone connected to 5Ghz but then when trying to use phone to setup some smart devices they weren't smart enough to use 5Ghz so quick fix was to log into hub one, disable 5Ghz, reconnect phone to router wifi @ 2.4GHz, then setup smart device, then re-enable 5GHz in router

Lysen
Grafter

I repeatedly asked support for a dual-band router and was refused on the grounds that they only work for fibre connections (????)

Can a Plusnet rep please have a dual-band router dispatched to us like the rest of the responses in this thread?

Midjet76

I've has the same issue on and off for a good while and have spoken with reps in the past over this, without resolution.

Of late this has got worse as I now have more devices than ever, I have about 5 timers, all requiring 2.4ghz connections 3 phones, a tablet, washing machine, outdoor timer for lighting, which is really struggling to maintain the connection, about 5 wifi cameras which are also 2.4 dependent." PC's a TV, Digibox and probably other things I've not thought about.

My wife is getting cheesed off as her phone regularly has the connected but no internet access message...Lucky she has 12gb of data with her plusnet mobile account....

I know you will all be extremely busy during the current pandemic, but could someone please send me a router that will actually cope with the demands of my Smart Home, and I haven't even got any Alexa devices etc...

I would be ever so grateful.

Regards

Mark Thompson.

gmackenzie

Hi, I have justed added some Alexa devices and am having the exact same issues described here. Once I get to the limit I can't obtain an IP address unless I switch off another device. See device information below. I have tried this many times and can confirm it is the issue described in the post of a limit of devices that can obtain an IP address.

Can you send me a new router that can handle more devices?

Thanks

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7150591M002963
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode Fibre
NAY100

I am also having a problem connecting more than 12 devices to a 2704n router. It is possible to get an updated router as it is a pain disconnecting a device before we can connect another.

myagi2020

Hi, I now have the same problem possibly coincidentally after getting 1 more device. There should not be such a low limit so I'm not convinced this isn't a bug. Please send me a new router like the others above - needed for home schooling. Thanks in advance, Martin.

CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Why not add a second wireless access point to the router ?

Any old cable modem with WiFi should do the job of serving your smart home appliances leaving the main router to do the important stuff.
Just because of the distance I put a Netgear Wifi router in the Garage that works fine as an access point.

I have an above average number of devices, none of which have any IOT/Smarthome purpose as I'm happy to walk round to the tumble dryer and see if it has finished.

£14 + Vat for an extra WiFi Access point that just does what it needs to..

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/9627-tp-link-tl-wr841n/reviews/#content

myagi2020

Dear CrashBangWallop,

Yes I could try adding a 2nd router, but the first router is supposed to handle this perfectly OK and I haven't tried to diagnose why it doesn't. The fact that others have reported the same problem with varying amounts of devices indicates to me that its more likely a problem with the router.

Best regards.

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

I started this thread over a year and bit ago,, as puzzled to  the connection problem.

But if you read through the thread, all should be revealed.   It is not a bug, depending on point of view not a design flaw, but maybe designers not looking into the future or keep cost down.

The router is 2.4ghz only and will connect up to 12 ( ish,, some folks have had a few more ) devices.

When ordered/designed/manufactred and shipping of router, probably 4 and more years ago.  The massive explosion of connected devices was just happening for ordinary folks.  Where few would have more than half a dozen gadjets to connect.

Time moves on ...    the router from Plusnet are not  the best, but are functional.  You probably joined Plusnet because of the cost per month.  Do you really think they will spend a fortune on routers!   Also some folks may not connect more than a few devices.

Plusnet may send you a dual band router, to work with all the gadjets you decided to buy and to add to your home.

But,  again in thread,, many folks have suggested an easy alternative ,, ie the BT router BT6  or simillar types.

again a tip if do not read thread on this topic ,,,  stick as many devices onto the 5ghz band ,,  this will free up the 2.4band that some devices will only connect to.

Hope you get something sorted and at least had this thread to see an answer to problem.

Initially, I was about to chuck out all my wifi switches and gadjets as thought were faulty rubbish..

regards

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi,

I just noticed, still had a few comments from my old thread.

If Plusnet have sorted this, then fine.

But if not,,  a easy way, is a used router, ebay has some for a tenner etc...  others suggested a BT6 .

dual band type if a mate has a spare,,,  check specs on routers,, manufactures now are listing the number of devices that can be connected, due to the explosion of home gadjets.

regards

myagi2020

jasefromspace

I've just joined Plusnet and am already beginning to wish I hadn't made the switch.

On day one of switchover I spent the best part of half a day (as expected) switching all our devices on to the new router. There were a couple that didn't connect, but I thought it might be because it was the first day of switching and I remember reading something about maybe having issues in the first couple of days.

5 days on and I'm still having problems, although not with specific devices. Sometimes they connect and other times they don't. Then today I disconnected my phone and tried to connect my computer which wasn't connecting and hey presto it worked. I checked disconnecting and connecting a few other devices and realised that I was being limited to the number of connected devices.

I called customer services and was looking forward to experiencing the well publicised Plusnet service, only to wait 20 minutes for an answer and then for the operator to go through the FAQs that are on the website, which didn't have a resolution. I explained to the guy that I thought my number of devices was being limited. He then told me his system had crashed and advised me to call back after 6pm. I explained that it didn't seem right that I had to call back when, I'd had to wait for so long in the first place. He took my number and said someone would call back after 6pm.

Soon after, I was closing down tabs on Chrome and came to the Plusnet one where I'd got the customers services number from - under the number it said customer relations close at 6pm!!

Anyway searched this issue online and came across this forum and have to say I'm very disappointed. It seems that the 2704n router I've been sent doesn't cope with 12+ devices, so from what I can see, I can either buy another router myself (at my own cost) or hope for a win in the Plusnet lottery (sarcasm) of whether they'll send me a better router or not - as reading back on the trail, it seems that some customers are sent one without any issue and other are asked to pay or renew their contract.

I cannot believe that a company which places so much emphasis on service would allow this situation to happen. And Bripnet 777 I get what you're saying about Plusnet being cheaper, and that is definitely a reason I chose to join them. But if there had been any info during my switch saying I wouldn't be able to connect all my devices, I 100% would have stayed with my previous supplier and paid the extra few quid (and saved myself the time of writing this excessively long post, calling customer services, spending half a day setting up my devices and the inevitable future hassle of getting this resolved - time is money!).

Anyway - can anyone from Plusnet help get my issue resolved? 🙂

alexhaddow

Hi. I am not from Plusnet but I did have the exact same problem last week. My adult son and his wife are working from home with us and we exceeded the 12 limit with ease and the symptoms were far from understandable until I read this thread about the limit. I spent less than 30 minutes going through each of the devices that my wife and I own and set them to use a static IP address (quite high to avoid clashes with the DCHP system which has the limit). The router (same as yours) has no such limit, it is just the ability of automatically allocating IP addresses to each device that has the problem. After we made these devices use static addresses, everything else has been fine. Hope this helps.

P.S. I did have cause for complaint about Plusnet support on another topic over the past few weeks but eventually I did manage to speak with someone who has helped me so much that my service will stay with them.

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi jasefromspace,

No problem with "writing this excessively long post"  it makes things easier to understand.  ( except the time it took you to do it of course!

I thinkk a few routers where sent out as replacements before it dawned that it was not a fault, just a limitation of an old design.

It would be handy though and maybe less hassle for Plusnet ( and all other ISP`s)  to state the device limits.  Even the good old `upto` comment would be better than nothing.  If you wanted an old laptop and phone and nothing else,  then guess what router they would send.   Suggest you need 40 odd devices, then can send a better router?

As you named me in your `short` note.... then may I suggest .. tongue in cheek of course .... the few extra quid you have saved with Plusnet ...... get  another router.   😉

Or ..... your previous supplier, do you still have their router???      Transfer you Plusnet settings ,, worth a try.

good luck anyway

Bripnet777
Grafter

Hi alexhaddow

Thats interesting ,, may save a few more folk some hassle.

I`m not going to destroy my working system to try it,, but may be relevant for a lot of routers in future.

(when we all have 200 plus devices in our homes)

nice one