Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add a VPN to Hub 2

KidEgo

Is it possible to add a VPN to Hub 2

Hi All

I hope you are well.

So the question is simple and as listed above... Is it possible?

I work remotely and my company has asked for a VPN to be added, but I'm seeing conflicting information as to whether this is possible?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks!
Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Is it possible to add a VPN to Hub 2

The Hub 2 does not have a built-in VPN client, most ISP routers do not have that facility.

You will need to install a VPN client on the PC itself. Your IT dept should be able to guide you through that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KidEgo

Many thanks MisterW.

I thought as much.

So VPN on my laptop or I'd have to change the router to a 3rd party model is what you're saying?
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@MisterW wrote:

The Hub 2 does not have a built-in VPN client, most ISP routers do not have that facility.

Most ISP supplied consumer level routers don't have he ability to connect through a VPN, but lots of slightly higher end routers do.

All the Vigor and Ubiquiti router's I've used for the last decade or so can connect through VPNs, and can route some traffic over VPN and other traffic not over a VPN (split-tunneling). As a home based worker I often run with several outgoing VPNs and an incoming VPN at the same time.

@KidEgo you need to know your requirements and shop around for a router that can meet them. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So VPN on my laptop or I'd have to change the router to a 3rd party model is what you're saying? 

@KidEgo yes. TBH I would have thought its unusual to connect, from a home connection, to a company VPN directly from the router, because unless its configured carefully, then all devices using that router will get traffic routed via the VPN. Its much more usual to configure individual devices with a VPN client such that only that device uses the VPN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Its much more usual to configure individual devices with a VPN client such that only that device uses the VPN.

And more sensible, I would have thought, in this instance, although, as @corringham has said above, there are can be cases when having the VPN on the hub/router instead can be more useful?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

there are can be cases when having the VPN on the hub/router instead can be more useful?

There can be, and I do!. I use an Openwrt router rather than a PN supplied one. I have a VPN connection, to the office, on the router but its configured so that only traffic to office IPs is routed down the VPN. It means that both my laptop and IP phone can access the office easily. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I have multiple devices that can all use the same VPN - and all "local" traffic is kept away from the VPN. Guest WiFi is all isolated, different categories of devices are on separate VLANs (security cameras, IoT, smart TVs, printers etc.).

Not something that most consumers need, but quite standard for routers above the basic level.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

@corringham wrote:

I have multiple devices that can all use the same VPN -

As I undestand it a VPN is an defined end to end network route usually with encryption. So, do all your devices send their data to the same remote system or do you use multiple VPNs to connect to different systems ?

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Yes, each VPN is a route from my local (sub-)network to one remote network. I usually only need one outgoing, but I sometimes use more than one, but for different local devices (on sub-networks). I always have one incoming L2TP link for my servers to sit behind.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro

One other possibility, if, for some reason, a router based VPN is desirable (for example to allow a computer and an IP phone to use the "tunnel", I would suggest a second router (ideally employer provided and supported) "behind" the Plusnet hub and just used for the business devices.

I am the satisfied customer....
corringham
Seasoned Champion

@markhawkin wrote:

I would suggest a second router (ideally employer provided and supported) "behind" the Plusnet hub and just used for the business devices.

That is an excellent solution for many work from home situations - just not all employers are set up for that (yet). 

Mine are, but I already had a workable system in place (and I have the background to manage such a system).

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Surely the employer should be dictating what and how devices are connected to their system ?