Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initialising a PN Hub 2

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Initialising a PN Hub 2

the very first entry in the event log

00:00:00, 01 Oct. Configuration file is corrupted, reset to default automatically

Why would a shipped piece of hardware have a corrupted config file?

And the firmware (when booted) was Booting firmware v0.05.03.07154-PN (Thu Jul 15 11:07:21 2021)

Is there a list of firmware releases for the Plusnet Hub 2 that were issued after Thu Jul 15 11:07:21 2021?

Or was the shipped firmware the latest release before 0.06.00.12134-PN ?

These are just questions.

7 REPLIES 7
greygit
Rising Star

Re: Initialising a PN Hub 2

I note that CCP is now part of the PPP negotiation. Since the end of last month.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@greygit wrote:

.....These are just questions.

The answers to which are totally irrelevant to the customer and to which you are unlikely to get a response. It's a freebie hub which is better than any provided by Plusnet before but which you don't have to use. It works fine for the vast majority of customers.

It's not going to be redesigned to fully satisfy you or the proprietary design documents released for your review, so why not just buy your own and move on?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greygit
Rising Star

"I note that CCP is now part of the PPP negotiation. Since the end of last month."

I think I've found the answer to this.

Prior to the end of last month none of the PPP negotiations were being presented in the log.

Just prior to them being visible something happened. It isn't visible when looking at the log via the web interface.

But if the log is exported I see this entry

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Limit of Hidden WAN log >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Almost immediately before the PPP negotiations are visible.

I'd much rather see these things in the log than not. And I'm left wondering what other stuff may be in the log that isn't visible.

greygit
Rising Star

"The answers to which are totally irrelevant to the customer"

So you presume. My answer is that the reason(s) are probably quite innocent, and there is no harm in asking.

"It works fine for the vast majority of customers."

Quite possibly.

It appears that (logging) features can be enabled/disabled remotely when the customer can't do the same for themselves.

I've even found an occurence when the hub lights are indicating that it has a a dsl signal (non-flashing orange) when it doesn't. I can live with this, but surely these niggly little 'features' should be documented? I doubt I'm the only one with a technical interest.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@greygit I would suggest that anyone with any technical interest or knowledge would by choice not be using an ISP supplied modem/router. Your obscure observations will never be answered, you really are wasting your time searching for strange behaviour.

greygit
Rising Star

The box has (a lot) more functionality than is presented.

I'm just running with that theme for the moment, if you don't mind.

Someone/something, somewhere has enabled some of the functionality (in the logging - and that deserves a 'thanks').

Shame that the same (basic) functionality isn't available to the customer.

(Someone said I should go out and spend some money. Obviously that person has no idea of individual personal finances.)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@greygit the latest firmware builds are pinned to the top of this board.

Devices are still shipping with v0.05.xx and will initiate a firmware upgrade on activation.

The log entry may be out of order as it has a default, non-NTP negotiated timestamp. Even if it is genuinely the first ever entry in the log, then it could well be the result of the manufacturing process. If it's not causing problems and is not a recurring event, there is little merit in investing time seeking a conclusive explanation.

I recall a while ago you were grumbling about not being able to clear the event log. Now you seem to have issue with it being rotated/cleared when it reaches a pre-defined limit Huh

If there are problems caused by any of the hub's behaviour, then I will happily take them forward for investigation. What we cannot do I'm afraid, is justify/explain and thouroughly document every design choice for you Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵