cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to replace my plus net 2 router with a different one

samk2310

I want to replace my plus net 2 router with a different one

Pretty much as above, the router isn't bad but I want a mesh system to improve coverage and performance.

Is there an easy way for me to do this? Anything I need to consider?

I expect it's not as easy as buying one, plugging it in to the master socket and being able to.crack on!

Any suggestions or guides would be great!

Many thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: I want to replace my plus net 2 router with a different one

@samk2310 

Can't help with what to buy but using PN with it is relatively simple.

PN have always been happy for customers to use their own equipment and provide the settings required in their Help pages. When you get the new unit power up and log into the router management page to change the settings as required - mainly your id and password plus your WiFi details (SSID and p/w).

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

but I want a mesh system to improve coverage and performance

@samk2310 most mesh systems are only routers i.e they have no built-in VDSL modem and therefore can't be connected directly to the master socket. To use a mesh system you will need to switch the Hub 2 to bridge(modem) mode, then connect the mesh system via ethernet to a Hub 2 LAN port. Finally you will need to configure the mesh system internet connection as PPPoE with your Plusnet credentials

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Keep the router and add one or more wired access points which is fundamentally what mesh is.

mystreet1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Have a look at CEX (webuy.com) for a Fritzbox 7530, currently £30 each (cannot remember who post on the forum with that price). Buy 2 or more to make a mesh system and replacing the PN hub with one.
Was a member for years, but moved from PN fttc to fttp from an AltNet. Getting 940Mb up and down. Happy to stay on here and try to help others. 
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@samk2310 

You talk about "the master socket" so it sounds like you have broadband over a phone line.

You will need to keep a modem to convert the broadband over the phoneline to an Ethernet presenttion with more or less any mesh system but the Hub 2 can do that in "bridge mode".

I would start with buying your choice of mesh system (I can't offer an opinion on that) and plugging it into a LAN port on the Hub 2 then turning the WiFi off on the Hub 2.

Once that is done and working you can experiment with putting the Hub 2 into bridge mode, the mesh into PPPoE mode and putting your Plusnet credentials into the mesh unit.

I would suggest one step at a time.

I am the satisfied customer....