cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - slow internet on 5GHz and wireless devices show up as on the LAN!

poshgeezers
Hooked

Hub One - slow internet on 5GHz and wireless devices show up as on the LAN!

Hi everyone.  I have two issues, one fairly well known and one a bit odd.

The 'known' one is that when connected wirelessly via 5Ghz, very very often speed checks show up at less than 15mb.  Changing to 2.4 ramps the speed up to 'normal', i.e. usually 50mb-70mb.  This happens on any device connected via 5G and within feet of the router (so no distance issues), and at any time of day (to the point where we usually used 2.4G as standard for frequently used devices).  I should clarify that it is 'internet' speed not 'wireless' connection speed.  2.4g wireless and wired connections give speeds expected (50-70mb).

Second is that wirless devices often show up as having a LAN connection on my Hub One "Home Network - Devices" page, Echo devices, Portal, Ring doorbell etc., but not limited to these  If I delete the device and reconnect sometimes it will revert to a wireless connection, but again often will still show as wired, or revert wot wireless after a few days.  For example, playing a radio station on the Portal, it will suddenly stop playing, and if I check the Hub One connections, it shows up as wired.  Delete and reconnect, it corrects itself - for a while.  As it is happening to multiple wireless devices I dont think it is a device issue?

My Software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, last updated 18/02/19, so bang outdated.  Just wondered if a firmware update would resove these issues @bobpullen as you seem to have had some success before?

2 REPLIES 2
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Hub One - slow internet on 5GHz and wireless devices show up as on the LAN!

The HubOne is not known for sterling wifi; perhaps buy an OpenReach one, which can be configured to PN settings, and is much better than the free one.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - slow internet on 5GHz and wireless devices show up as on the LAN!

@poshgeezers - the first issue is an acknowledged problem that is fixed in the latest firmware. I have just pushed an update to your hub that will be applied the next time you restart it. Should hopefully do the trick.

The second observation is what I would expect if you have a Wi-Fi extender on your network somewhere that is wired back to the router (either directly, or via Powerline). Devices connected to a secondary wireless access point with show as associated to the LAN port the access point is connected to.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵