cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - USB and Windows 10

skyking

Hub One - USB and Windows 10

I'm trying to access a flash drive I have connected to the USB port of the Hub One. I've tried \\Pnhub1\usb1 and \\192.168.1.254\usb1 and keep receiving the following message on my Windows 10 PC

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher

Reading back through older posts this has been a problem for a long time and the solution seems to be for plusnet to release an updated firmware for the hub. Is this likely any time soon? Surely if enough customers want to use the USB facility plusnet will provide an update? I really don't want to enable SMB1 due to security concerns and trying to avoid having to purchase a NAS which will only do the same thing as what the hub should do. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub One - USB and Windows 10

@skyking  Welcome to the forum.

I use a BT Smarthub and that will not support SMB2 security. Seeing as the Hub One basically uses the Home Hub 5A firmware, slightly tweeked I would not hold my breath waiting for a fix.

Whether SMB1 is really a risk depends on your network. Unless you have open ports it should only be accessible on your home network, which is behind your firewall.

Whether a USB stick will do everything a NAS will do is very much dependant on what you need a NAS for, I assume that your needs are very limited.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

skyking

@Baldrick1 Thanks for the reply. I do have an open port which is why I'm reluctant to enable SMB1

I've attached an external HDD to a computer on my network but I find the connections are slow or it freezes for a while before you can re-access it. Had hoped the USB option would have worked as it saves me having a PC on all day but seems like a NAS might be my only option. It's just for the household to save files and access music / video. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@skyking 

Understood. I went through this exercise and ended up with a Synology 220j into which, to save money, I installed a couple of 1TB standard drives that were spare. These are still working fine after 9 months of continuous use in a Raid 1 configuration. This manages my backups, security camers recordings and other bits. If/when one of the disks fails I shall get a new pair of bigger Seagate IronWolfs for it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'