cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One DNS request unresponsive

nikkas
Dabbler

Hub One DNS request unresponsive

I've had frequent occasions when the Hub One stops responding to DNS requests.

I can still ping the DNS servers by IP and resolve hosts on those DNS servers but nslookup on the default gateway ie the Hub One times out.

Whilst I can (and do) set my PC DNS servers to be google ones, it's not always convenient, possible or desirable to do this on every portable device you want to work away from home.

Resetting the hub kicks it back into life again.

There may be people who incorrectly blame the plusnet DNS servers for these sort of symptoms but has anyone experienced this?

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Hub One DNS request unresponsive

Hi nikkas,

That's unusual, I'd try a factory reset of the hub one if the problem persists: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/hub-one-user-guide.shtml

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nikkas
Dabbler

i'm already on my second. Wink

Doglet
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I've had this problem a couple of times.

First time I fixed it with a Reset.

The Second time I fixed it with a long power off.

A quick reboot didn't fix the problem.

I suspect there is a memory leak in the code or something and it eventually runs out of RAM?

nikkas
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply - not found much on the web and I was thinking I was the only one!

I guess it must be something like that although with all the BT Hubs out there, I'd have thought it was more common. Perhaps Plusnet get factory second routers ? 😉

A reset (remote or pressing the reset button) always fixes it for me but I'm experiencing it more frequently.

Would you class yourself as a heavy user? I am, working from home although over a VPN so there's lots of traffic going over the router but not much direct demand on the router DNS. I don't have apps/services like games, DMZ, port forwarding etc although some devices may be making the odd request. I might set up some traffic monitoring to see.

nik

Phantom
Dabbler

Just did a google search on this very issue as I've noticed it too Cheesy

Most annoying and seems to happen roughly every 2 weeks or so, the Hub One's DNS forwarder just dies/stops responding to the LAN, even though the servers are fine when testing with nslookup (Win).

As mentioned, can bypass the problem with directly configuring DNS on clients, but that kinda defeats the point of DHCP 😛

benfranklin
Grafter

I take it you can't configure the DHCP server on the Hub One to give out custom DNS server addresses then?

nikkas
Dabbler

You can as i recall, (i think so but I gave up in the end and got a Netgear router) and I had used the Google ones but because the router stops forwarding anyway it doesn't matter what you use.

You could still go direct to the Plusnet DNS servers and confirm they were working when it occurred. It would be a bigger, more obvious problem if they stopped working. I bet there's lots of folk just power cycling their routers without knowing what's gone wrong and Plusnet aren't really aware. Perhaps they should look at their stats and see what the average up-time of their customer routers are. (My Netgear gets rebooted when there's a firmware upgrade not every couple of weeks!)

nik b

Phantom
Dabbler

Nope, very little on the Hub One is configurable (unless there's a hidden CLI somewhere!).

DHCP configuration consists of On/Off, Start/End IP range and lease duration Smiley

Restart & Reset are considered 'Advanced Settings' Cheesy

nikkas
Dabbler

Ok Phantom, I misremembered then.

(I must have tested directly from PC network settings)

About time Plusnet got the issue fixed!

nikkas
Dabbler

To help those not familiar with Windows behind the scenes, there are some simple testing you can use:

Fire up a Windows Command Prompt
(Windows Start key, type in Command Prompt and press Enter)

AAA) Everything working as normal:
(Type in the commands after "C:\Users\name>" where name will be your user name as set up on your PC)
(Don't expect to get *exactly* the same responses - you're looking for lots of guff = good v "timeout" = bad)

C:\Users\name>nslookup www.microsoft.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: e1863.dspb.akamaiedge.net
Addresses: 2a02:26f0:a1:295::747
2a02:26f0:a1:28e::747
2a02:26f0:a1:294::747
Aliases: www.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com-c-2.edgekey.net
www.microsoft.com-c-2.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net

BBB) Uh-oh NOT working (all your browser requests time out):

C:\Users\name>nslookup www.microsoft.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
. ..
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

CCC) Let's try going direct to Plusnet DNS server.
Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50
(taken from https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/)

If it works, Internet is not broken! Just perhaps your router DNS as described in this thread.

Time to power it off and on (and moan to Plusnet)

C:\Users\name>nslookup www.microsoft.com 212.159.13.49
Server: cdns01.plus.net
Address: 212.159.13.49

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: e1863.dspb.akamaiedge.net
Addresses: 2a02:26f0:a1:293::747
2a02:26f0:a1:294::747
2a02:26f0:a1:281::747
Aliases: www.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com-c-2.edgekey.net
www.microsoft.com-c-2.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net

nealenapier
Dabbler

Hi

I'm one of those people re-starting my router up to 3 times a day, every single day. I'm quite a heavy user I suppose with up to 10 devices. Some times the DNS stops responding with just a couple of devices connected. This has been happening since November 2016 and I've been a member for years without such issues.

Exactly the same conclusion, the browser will suddenly say "Resolving Host". I can ping the DNS directly but the router obviously stops forwarding dns requests.There is no relevant information in the event logs. I've done all the tricks like disabling IPv6 on Mac and the latest Windows 10 and chromecast updates. After failing to find any issue from their end,  Plusnet gave me a new router which made no difference.

I'm just hoping that at some point a router update will be released to fix the issue, or I'll just have to buy my own router.

Neale