cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
darnell88

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Wish i had read up on PlusNet router problems before i just switched from Talktalk. Funny when just 7 days with PlusNet and you find out the router they provide you with doesn't function correctly or come with the most up to date firmware. Pretty much been told tough luck, i have to buy a new router. Not really sure how a broadband provider has gotten away with this for so long, December last year this fix was first posted. Nice rant for today after the customer service i've received. 

Thanks Bob for at least helping me out with getting some of my speed back by turning off the 5GHz. Do you think you can provide me with the firmware update as per the other posts? See if i can get my Baby Monitor connected to the network again. Not great when the baby monitor is losing wifi signal in the middle of the night and trying to reset the router etc.

Why hasn't all the routers been sent a firmware update to fix this for everyone?

sp0oner73
Dabbler

Hi I have had numerous hub one routers over the years i've been with Plusnet as they have all failed after a while and i've just found this post/forum by looking for the 5ghz issue which is now affecting me.

To answer the questions in the OP:

1. 5ghz connectivity just stops and cannot reconnect. Been 5 days since the last occurrence. I notice it first on my mobile phone when returning home and then when I check other devices like my laptop they have then become affected. It seems it's me returning home and my mobile trying to reconnect that triggers it.

2. The hub is blue as normal.

3. They're split/different names. And yes the problem only affects the 5ghz network.

4. Yes persistent and only fixed by rebooting the router.

5. No

6. Yes and it's been 5 days since the last time it happened.

7. It seems to be when I return home and my mobile phone tries to reconnect. It's a Samsung Note 9 dual sim 512gb model.
  8. No

9. Hub One connected directly to the master socket. Runs 2.4 and 5ghz networks on different names. 1 wifi extender in occasional use and 1 set of ethernet over powerline adapters for wired connectivity for my Xbox One as the wifi connectivity on either frequency is appalling and so download speeds are VERY slow on wifi but top out on ethernet - router connects at 76Mbps down and 20 up. Distance between router and Xbox is 10 metres.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 27/03/19

Is there a new router due any time soon as the Hub One has been utterly useless ever since I joined Plusnet more than 7 years ago - i've lost count how long i've been a customer.

Wilecoyotep

Having same issue, started a week or so ago, getting progressively worse.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Standard disconnection, authentication issues etc
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Standard blue.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Have disconnected 5ghz as per suggestions. Wifi is still inconsistent/slow.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Various devices all having similar problems from phones to playstations / tablets etc
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Just happens every day and regularly - no specific patterns or times.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    reboot fixes it for a while but usually ends up back in a couple of hours
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Any and all are impacted.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Nope. Only thing i can think of recently is an upgrade to sky Q.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Standard connections - 1 dsl line into PC and hub to multiple wifi devices around the house. Was fine until about a week ago, now a nightmare in terms of dropouts and authentication. Since dropping 5ghz, have had lots of slow connection issues etc.

Would be very happy to have the update pushed to my router.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
Iandfisher
Rising Star

The answer is quite simply. Plusnet doesn't want to supply a higher level customer service because they want customers to move on to higher charging BT broadband contracts. BT is adopting the same tactic with mobile phones - pushing customers towards EE. BT wants to capitalise in the fibre space and it can't do that while its petulant sibling is offering cheaper services. The solution is to provide such a poor service with 3rd world equipment that customers leave. Which Plusnet customers get plenty of mailings from BT when their contract is about to expire? 🖐
frankc52
Grafter

Only been a customer since July so been there and got the teeshirt and thrown my toys out of the pram. I had the latest firmware and still had problems. I took advice from a tech who advised buy a BT Hub 6 ant not the 5 as it’s the same architecture as the Hub One. The cost from £10 to £20 and you can then stop beating the donkey as it’s not going without problems.
Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi all,
My router's firmware was updated to the. 273 on 13/07 which fixed the 5ghz issue however my downloading speed dropped from around 70mbps to 15-20 mbps. I have to reboot the router almost every day to get the 70 download speed. Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. I'm thinking of getting a hh6 after all as still got another 7 months before the contract runs out.
Thanks
frankc52
Grafter

Providing your line speed is good the BT smart hub 6 will sort it. On another tack if your not happy phone CS and ask to speak to a manager and tell them PN is unable to give you the service and you would like to terminate your contract without charges. But I would get a Smart Hub 6 that will do you proud at a good price.
KingRonseal

Congratulations Shmeker, you have graduated to a new thread of problems with the latest firmware which you can find here!

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Throughput-issues-5ghz/td-p/1735734

This new problem has only been around since May and is still unresolved.

Folks just spend a few quid and buy a second hand BT Hub 6, half an hours work and you can forget all about the useless Plusnet Hub. Life is too short to be mucking around restarting your router every 5 minutes and having unreliable wifi.

Shmeker
Dabbler

Thanks for the link @KingRonseal👍🏻
Can't be bothered anymore, will get a BT hub, it's obvious the PN hub is useless.
Is there any info/link on here how to set up the BT router?
Many thanks
sp0oner73
Dabbler

Why are so many people selling the Home Hub 6 what are they replacing it with that is better?

It seems that is my best route after years and years with Plusnet - could be as long as 10 years i've been with them now! And still every Hub One I have been sent fails at some point. They did actually tell me last year a replacement router was in the pipeline but there still isn't one.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

New router in the pipeline? I had the problem since March 2019 - that's a full 18 months ago and the solution seems to come with its own problems. I change to the BT hub in Nov/Dec last year and never had a problem since. I've just over a month left on my contract and then it's Vodafone all the way for me. Plusnet's 'no problem' approach to customer service as depicted in the commercial has now turned I to 'problem? There's no problem'. 👋👋
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@lloyd_634 wrote:

Hey @bobpullen

I'll get my Hub One plugged back in and online now ready for the next time you can roll the update out.

Thanks, that's been done for you now. You'll need to reboot to apply the update.

@PT1 @darnell88 & @sp0oner73 - I've also pushed a config to update to your devices. Again, you'll need to reboot to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@darnell88 wrote:

Why hasn't all the routers been sent a firmware update to fix this for everyone?

I've responded to this question numerous times throughout this thread, although I recognise not everybody is going to have the time to read through it all!

The update that I have been applying is not a formal fix/signed off production build and there are reasons we cannot deploy it to the masses. We continue to work on this issue as a priority and the end goal is to have a build that can be applied to all (and used in manufacturing). I'll be the first to admit that this is taking much longer than anyone would hope for/expect - however the issue isn't as simple as it may appear. Please also remember that this issue is definitely not affecting everybody. In fact, whilst we are making progress towards a suitable fix, we are still unable to reliably replicate the issue in lab conditions. This is despite many months of trying.

@Iandfisher wrote:
The answer is quite simply. Plusnet doesn't want to supply a higher level customer service because they want customers to move on to higher charging BT broadband contracts.

Nonsense. The team is investing a lot of time and resource into fixing the various issues that have been reported. We have nothing to gain from shipping devices that cause our customers any sort of unintended issue. 

@Shmeker wrote:
My router's firmware was updated to the. 273 on 13/07 which fixed the 5ghz issue however my downloading speed dropped from around 70mbps to 15-20 mbps. I have to reboot the router almost every day to get the 70 download speed. 

As @KingRonseal has mentioned, that's a separate issue. I have just pushed a further update to your device (you'll need to reboot to apply) that I'm reasonably confident will resolve this problem for you too. I'm very interested in your feedback, but would ask that you post your findings over on the other thread about throughput (linked below), rather than this one.

@KingRonseal wrote:

Congratulations Shmeker, you have graduated to a new thread of problems with the latest firmware which you can find here!

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Throughput-issues-5ghz/td-p/1735734

This new problem has only been around since May and is still unresolved.

Not true. The throughout issue has nothing to do with the 'latest firmware'. Now we understand the cause, it seems that it is a problem that has been around for a while now. It may just be that it becomes more apparent once the connectivity issue is resolved for those that are suffering it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As a bit of an aside: can I ask that anybody who is thinking of replying to this thread, reads the opening post in full before doing so? -
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363#M15510

The post summarises the problem, and includes a number of options that are available to you. This *includes* acquiring/using a BT Smarthub and where to find help configuring one if you need it. Whilst I understand the issue is frustrating, and people are just trying to help, I'd prefer it if there were less 'me too' posts about using BT hubs. It makes tracking responses to this thread difficult - and it's not adding anything that isn't already mentioned in the opening gambit Wink

Thanks Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sp0oner73
Dabbler

@bobpullen Many thanks for pushing the update i'll reboot later and then see how it goes and reply back once some time has passed to update.