Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@danxlator wrote:

Can you DM the best settings to set up the Netgear router I mentioned if I ever need it if you get a chance? Thanks

Not much I can suggest without knowing the specific model number? It should be as simple as creating a PPPoE connection using your Plusnet broadband login credentials. You may also need to specify the VLAN ID as '101'. All this assumes the router actually has an integrated VDSL modem though. If it doesn't, then you would also need an external modem.

@Hfcsteve wrote:
I was suffering frequent dropouts and pushing .273 a couple of months ago seemed to do the trick.
Until now.
Our connection seems worse than ever.

Your Internet connection has dropped a few times over the recent week or so. Unless that's you rebooting the router, it could be indicative of a problem with the line. There is also what's known as a 'bridge tap condition' being detected which could be due to an issue with your home wiring. Do the status lights on the router change during the times you experience problems, or are you confident it's a Wi-Fi issue?

@Breeze77 @Happyhiker @dpreece92 @Mark70 & @Surfer - an update has been pushed to your respective devices. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Surfer
Grafter

Many thanks.  Strangely no issue yesterday as the issue seems to be intermittent.  I assume rebooting is just switching it off and then on again?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Surfer  yes, just power off then back on using the press-switch at the back.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

karlpeters
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

I've been experiencing the same issues as everyone is describing on here with the 5GHz dropping out. No issues with 2.4.

I'm currently on 263 software.

Would you be able to push through the update please.

Many thanks

Hfcsteve

@bobpullen

Yes have rebooted the router a few times of late. No changes to the lights so assuming WiFi issue. Anyhow, have changed router to Home Hub 6 and early observations are good. Would be interested to see what the stats say but WiFi seems more stable.
Surfer
Grafter

BTW how do you change a device from the 2.4GHZ to the 5Ghz?  The S10 is now recognised on the Hub and also one of the two Firesticks using 5Ghz.  Why not both Firesticks on 5Hgz?  The LG TV is on 2.4Ghz.  Can it be changed so that it gets the 5Ghz wifi?  Thanks.

karlpeters
Hooked

@Surfer You will need to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz networks in the advanced setting tab, rename one or both of the networks & you can then choose which one to connect to on each individual device.

Under the advanced settings tab, choose 'Wireless', then select the 5Ghz network and choose 'no' under 'Sync with 2.4GHz'. This will then allow you to rename the SSID separately from the 2.4. (I just put "-5" after mine), then click apply. You should then be able to select your preferred network on your device & Password will remain the same for both - unless you want to change this also.

Hope this helps.

Surfer
Grafter

Being a bit of a noob I have no idea how to select 5Ghz on the device like the LG TV?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@karlpeters can you private message me your account username and hub serial number please?

@Surfer in it's default configuration (2.4GHz and 5GHz 'merged') the decision as to which channels to use will be taken by your device e.g. the LG TV.

It is important to remember that whilst 5GHz is faster/less susceptible to interference, it is also shorter range. If one of your Firesticks and the LG TV are further away than the Firestick that's already on the 5GHz network, then they may be connecting to a 2.4GHz channel because they deem it more reliable.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Kateh

Is there an update on this? The screen is no longer the same & I need to change from 5 to 2.4 to allow a pet monitor to continue to function.
adamdaniels881

Hi @bobpullen  - can you push the update to me?
I've had this issue for at least a year now with the hubone and my netgear died last week - I'd  like to try a different firmware.

Tonymcclennon2
Dabbler

I'm having the same issue. It only started about three weeks ago, not sure why as back in December 2019, this post was made:

"When will the problem be fixed?

We are working on the problem as a priority. The fix is likely to come in the form of a software/firmware update and will take some time to fully test/deploy. We are also working on a reactive solution that we hope to be made available in the New Year.

In the meantime, there are a number of workarounds, described below."

However, it doesn't seem to have been a priority if 8 months later a significant number of users are still having the issue!!!

I am also on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown - not sure if an update will resolve the issue, but willing to give it a try. As with others, response time for devices has become noticeably slower since the problem started to manifest itself.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Tonymcclennon2 & @adamdaniels881 - an update has been sent to your routers, you'll need to reboot to apply. Not sure if it will help in your case Tony if your issue is 'slow response times'.

@Kateh wrote:
Is there an update on this? The screen is no longer the same & I need to change from 5 to 2.4 to allow a pet monitor to continue to function.

Not sure what you're asking here? If you need to specify which of the two wireless networks a device connects to then you may need to consider giving them different network names. To do this, you need to navigate to the page below, select 'no' next to 'sync with 2.4GHz', ensure the 'Wireless SSID' has a different name to the 2.4GHz network and then apply the changes. You should then see two wireless networks when your devices scan for available hotspots and you can choose which you connect to.

5ghz_1.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

praful
Grafter

@bobpullen
I reported this issue in January (5Ghz stops responding after a few days, fixed by router reboot). There was no progress and too much traffic on this forum, so I unsubscribed.

It looks like you have a fix. If this is stable, with no known issues, please can you push to my router.

Thanks
Praful
bchalcraft

Hi @bobpullen 

I've been having similar problems for some time and just checked back on this thread (my 2.4Ghz works fine, 5Ghz does not, at all) - it looks like you've become keeper of the firmware updates which might resolve the issue.

My hardware is also  - Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 12/03/19

Shall I follow suit and PM you my account username and hub serial number to attempt a fix?

Ta