Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@Dippy restart using the option in the router interface or by toggling the power switch. Do *not* perform a factory reset.

Edit: there's pages of previous examples in this thread where customers have had the update pushed to them. You're spoilt for choice in terms of others' experiences Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nickvale
Hooked

Hi Bob -

I swapped out my Hub One for a BT HH6 over a week ago and have experienced *zero* problems - not a single dropout on either channel. So I'll not be taking the Hub One update unless my HH6 gives up the ghost *and* I see no problems posted on the Hub One update. 

KT3

@bobpullen - Thank you, that was the correct device and I have rebooted and can see Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 23/01/21 after reboot.

Kevin

danny1199
Dabbler

So grateful for the update bob.  Installed with no problems.  Now to see how it works.

KevHamilton

.273 has now been installed. Thanks @bobpullen
Hope it works!
supersub70

.273 has now been installed. We'll see how it goes this week.

Thanks @bobpullen

jmad1305

Many thanks @bobpullen
Will monitor over the next few weeks.
CW1

Thanks @bobpullen, I'm now in club 273 following the reboot.

I called support Friday evening following a day of multiple dropouts and poor WiFi. The technician I spoke to said that my account was showing as having "two sessions". I was instructed to do a factory reset. When I quizzed the technician he said that having the two sessions would have caused problems for the router and would be exacerbating any problems. He was confident that the reset on on my router and from his end would fix my issues.

Not sure exactly what the two sessions thing means or if there is a way to identify this from the router.

I will provide updates if I get any problems. Hopefully though this will be my final post.

JohnB03

Hi @bobpullen 

Just wanted to provide some initial feedback.

I restarted the Hub post your update and the issue which had been occurring every day from the start of last week has now not happened for three in a row.....so looking good so far.

I'll update again in a week or so but for now, thanks for the FW update and feedback!

Cheers

byheck

Another call here for @bobpullen to update my firmware please. Currently on "Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown" and with two teenagers screaming at me on a daily basis when the 5GHZ drops out during their online lessons.

Thanking you.

Regards

byheck

viper777

Another call here for @bobpullen to update my firmware please. Currently on "Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263"

Les3

Hi Bob
I am having problems with my phone constantly dropping out of Wi-fi and having problems reconnecting. I came across this post and think this describes my problems. I checked my firmware and it is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and last updated 10/3/19. I have to reset the hub to get connected. It works for that day but the next day it starts over again. I am working from home and about a week ago the Wi-fi drops out on my lap top and I have trouble connecting again.
Is there a fix for this other that what is described above as I am not very tech savvy
MixerFistit
Dabbler

I've been experiencing the same issues since day one at the beginning of December.
Router version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
I would like to try any firmware that may resolve this issue.

What are the symptoms?
Loss of throughput on 5GHz (can't even log into router unless switch to 2.4GHz band) I've tried different channels and spectrum analysis shows the router is alone on its current channel (58 80mhz).channel width also has no affect.
Router logs seem to show a MAC of a device being associated and disassociated several times in a short period when the issue occurs.
How frequently does it happen?
Usage dependent. I was away for 3 days and it was on fire 24 hours after my return before the fault reappeared. (it seems to occur during streaming)

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?
Yes

Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Yes

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)?
Tried both. Currently split

If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Yes

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?
Yes
Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
I do but they are unaffected

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably?
I live alone so as mentioned above I believe increased traffic like streaming is causing the issue. The 5GHz band had not crashed while I was away for 3 days despite a Fire Cube, Firestick, smartTV and echo dot having an 'idle' connection. Yet within a few hours of streaming video 3 days later, the 5GHz band crashed.
Do you think you have a way of triggering it? Only as mentioned. I'd be interested to see what's happening with any allocated memory and internal buffers of the router. Does 5GHz traffic stay separate from 2.4 and wired on its own routing table? That's all that's happening, that part of the router just stops routing and it's a cold stab in the dark but it feels like there's an overflow somewhere.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?
Yes
If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Usage dependent. Usually around 24 hours; however, I now believe it's more like within 3-5 hours of streaming video (when I'm asleep and in work it doesn't occur)

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details
All devices on 5GHz band lose connection. Android devices will report "no Internet" the Fire Cube will have the yellow connectivity error light, the fire stick 4k sometimes tries to take me to the log in screen of the router as if it's a hotel style open WiFi page

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
The newest addition to my network is the router itself as I'm a new customer (it was replaced too with little difference).

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices:
LG smartTV 5GHz
AVR (now on 2.4GHz as I moved the 5GHz channel on to 58 and it wasn't compatible - fault still occurred when I tried wired connection)
Sky Q and a Minibox (currently using wired connection and their internal radios have been disabled in the installer menu as I originally suspected interference)
shineyhappy2020
Hooked

This thread shows that you have to complete an essay before Plusnet are willing to try to fix your individual problem.

I've had .273 firmware since end of December and still see slow or unreliable wifi that was never an issue with my previous ISPs router. It did fix some issues, but it's still not reliable.

If the problem was simply a firmware fix, Plusnet would have done that long ago.

marleythecat
Hooked

Yes, it does seem to me that these routers are the source of the problem. I've had several Hub One routers in six different homes over the last few years, (I've been bouncing around some short term tenancies), and I've always had this problem to some degree. In one home the major issue was a genuine fault at the box, but even after that was fixed I was having these dropout problems. Are you honestly saying that I just happen to have the same issue at different addresses with different equipment, and it's not your hardware causing it?

Come on, Plusnet. You know these routers are garbage. Please supply equipment that's fit for purpose.

I love the design of the router but I'm honestly starting to look at buying another one now, because this problem is just getting ridiculous.