Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Colin_B
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen 

As per @shineyhappy2020 report I also have been experiencing very small wi-fi dropouts (10-15 seconds) after having been on .273 for over a month now.

I've tried examining the router logs when this happens, but can't spot any linked event.

It happens on both the 2.4 and 5GHz channels.

Rebooting the router does not stop it from happening, it can reoccur within minutes of a router power off/on reset, unlike the original loss of wi-fi problem.

I've set network device lease times to the max but this has no impact.

It manifests on laptops and tablets as a fraction of a second 'page not found' then its there.

If streaming on a smart TV (Player / Amazon Prime Video / Netflix / YouTube), sometimes the video will pause and continue after maybe 5 seconds (it can do this repeatedly 3 or 4 times within 10 minutes) or the TV app will report a problem and I usually power reset the TV, just to get the app to respond to commands again.

As I say, rebooting the hub seems to have no impact on this, and the interruptions will continue after the restart.

My wife works on an iPad and the interruption has inadvertently lost items, for example, put in the basket on a Tesco online shopping session.  This has happened several times. It's not been obvious the items have not been saved until your order turns up without them.  I appreciate this example sounds trivial but I'm just trying to give you an idea of the impacts.

All the TV streaming occurs on the 2.4GHz, where the iPad tends to mostly be on the 5GHz.

YouTube seems to suffer the least which I assume is due to it using are larger buffer, but it still can be affected, just less often.

I've used all the above equipment connected to a TG582n router with no problems at, previously.

My download / upload speeds are as expected: above 25Mb/s download.

Other than that, I've found .273 to be much better than .263, in that I literally never need to reboot the router and the constant iPad / iPhones have stopped reporting the wireless password is incorrect, so it's a massive improvement.

I must admit I have been considering just buying a BT Hub 6, as the reviews of this router, in general, have been so good and put more expensive routers to shame, it would seem.

Having said that I don't really want to give up on the Hub One, as it does everything I need bar these reported hiccups.

I have the wi-fi speeds combined since you sent me .273, so all the setup of the router is standard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Colin

andy_morley

@bobpullen 

Have this same problem, recently got a replacement HubOne but seems like that was a waste as it seems to be this problem and after a while of it not being a problem it's back with the new router.  

version running is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 so if I could get new version pushed that would be great.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Can "see" the network nice and strong but get "unable to connect" message.  Was every couple of days, recently got a replacement HubOne and that seemed to improve things but only temporarily and back to every couple of days.  Often a "hidden network" appears
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub indicator blue (nominal) when problem appears and other devices remaining connected and working
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Yes, have had until today, just split to try to solve in the meantime.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Have plenty of other devices most of which are unaffected and have never been affected. Has mainly affected desktop and laptop in the past, once it affected smart TV and possibly my mum's ipad in the dim and distant past
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, quite intermittent.  Generally appears when waking device but has also appeared mid-use.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Rebooting hub has been the only reliable way and usually then keeps working for that day.  Also PC connection troubleshooter resetting network adapter sometimes works (presumably this gave it a chance of picking the 2.4GHz but didn't always)
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Acer laptop and Lenovo desktop both running W10 main victims, Toshiba smart TV
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No, been a longstanding intermittent issue
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Have recently added powerline adapters to allow my desktop and smart TV to have a wired connection to avoid this problem.

Various devices, mobile phones, tablets, desktop and couple of laptops, a few amazon echo devices, one smart plug.

Thanks in advance for the firmware push.

tvkris

@bobpullen 

Thanks for the firmware update.     It is definitely working better than before.    But I still see devices occasionally losing the connection from 5 GHz wifi and connecting to 2.4 GHz connection, although I am able to reconnect back to 5 GHz connection and the internet is still available.  So I am assuming I am losing internet connection briefly.  At that time when I check the event log, I see the following error :

ath00: STA 86:22:3f:a8:ca:bd IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed

Thanks.

AndyK3

@bobpullen 
Hi Bob, having all the same issues as others, have split the 2.4 and 5Ghz. I'm also on the 263 firmware. Can you please let me know how to get the latest version.

Cheers,
Andy

norster
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Version running is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 so if I could get new version pushed that would be great.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Can "see" the network nice and strong but get "unable to connect" message.  Occasionally can connect, but without Internet Access.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub indicator blue (nominal) when problem appears and other devices remaining connected and working
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Channels are split, and only 5HHz channel appears affected.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Not been able to get rid of the problem. Wired devices are unaffected.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? Permanent problem.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Rebooting hub has been the only reliable way and usually then keeps working for that day. 
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Anything trying to connect to the 5GHz channel.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No, been a longstanding intermittent issue
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. I have 2 powerline adapters and 2 wifi extenders. I have 2 pc’s, 2 laptops, and a variety of phones and tablets. Also a security camera.

martinbrown1

Hi @bobpullen

I seem to be having similar issues to many other people here. Would you be able to push the .273 update to me please?

I’ve split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on .263 so hoping it’s better on .273

Thanks Smiley
Bosede

Hi @bobpullen, I am having the same issue with my wifi please help.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Falling off work calls, followed by difficulty in getting an internet connection.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? The devices seem to be connected fine, - no issues on the status indicators on the hub.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Split the SSIDs and the problems seems to only affect the 5GHz. They are now merged again to use the lease days work around as the internet connection was quite slow on 2.4GHz

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? The problem is persistent and can only be cleared by rebooting the router. No device wired to the router

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] There doesn't seem to be any way to trigger the problem that I have found.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? It is always cleared by restarting the router, and typically is fine for around 2days.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. My work laptop seems to be the first device that starts struggling to actually get an internet connection.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? I don't know when the latest update was pushed but .263 firmware is currently running. 

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, No additional adapter and all devices wirelessly connected.

Toshiba TV

Apple iMac

MacBook Pro

2 x iPhone

Playstation 3 Super Slim

Dell laptop

iPad

Amazon fire

Xbox One (original version)

Nintendo Switch

Bosede

neilhughes

Hi @bobpullen 

I have been experiencing frequent disconnects and slowdowns, especially on 5ghz but also on 2.4ghz. I have been with plusnet for a few years now but the problems seem to be worse than ever. After searching I can see that I am on the .263 firmware and would therefore appreciate it if you could push the .273 firmware to my router ASAP. Many thanks

danny1199
Dabbler

Hi again @bobpullen ,

I posted here last week about this issue and had hoped to be receiving the updated software for my Hub One router.  I haven't received the update, nor any response, so called Plusnet support today.  After waiting 39 minutes on hold before I could speak to anybody, I was told to re-set my Router and it would then install the latest version. Did that and it hasn't updated. I'm hoping I don't have to call again because they're obviously short staffed on the other end.  I'm getting really frustrated with losing my wireless everyday and don't understand why updates aren't sent out automatically whenever they are released, or at least we can download updates ourselves.  Can you help please?

VaughnS
Hooked

Hi

Just letting you all know of my experience since my hub one was upgraded to .273

It has been 2 weeks since I received the software update and since then I have had no WiFi problems. This was one week on ADSL and then I upgraded to VDSL and it has been another week without problems.

I have kept the bands separate as it enables me to distribute devices to even out usage.

leelewis21

That's great news for you, when can the rest of us expect an update to our firmware @bobpullen
neilmurray

My wife bought a new laptop some months ago. It was constantly dropping connection, v slow speeds. Finally got Lenovo to look at it after convincing them that this was the only device on the network with a problem. Sent off for repair. In the mean time her phone stopped connecting to internet but didn't put 2+2 together. She bought a new one and it works fine. Laptop came back with a new motherboard and WiFi card. Exactly same issue. I logged onto router and discovered that the only device connected to 5ghz was her laptop. I had a mess around and worked out that I could disable 5ghz. Fixed problem straight away. Dug her old phone out and this works perfectly. Googled a bit and found this thread. This has been a very costly experience for me and am disappointed with Plusnet.
Chris1974

I have asked customer services to update my router from #263 to #273 as I am having the 5Ghz speed limit issue. Could you update my route to either #273 or the most current and I will test any issues I find.

Regards

Chris
Johnb925

OK here is my bit.  Having issues with wifi irregularities that only reboot  a router seems to resolve.  I had a chat with Tony from Plusnet. We tried disabling the 5 ghz wireless as I dont have any devices using 5 ghz    Prior to doing that I was getting 33 to 34 mbs from the router which is very acceptable taking into account the BT line only carries around 40Mps  So I disabled the 5ghz and the speed dropped to 27 Mps and was consistent at that.  So I enabled 5Ghz  and up went the download speed to 33 to 34 Mps.  How can anyone explain that.  

The problem with wifi is that so many things can affect it.  I am pretty clued up on wfi and take all the usual precautions over conflicts.  Other wireless device in the house.  Nearby networks and conflicting channels etc.  Maybe the router has an intermittent fault ?   Its very difficult to pinpoint the source of the problem.  When the speed drops I check with other devices that its not my laptop network card. Most times my other devices report the same download speed drop.  A

As a cheap option I will be trialling a signal booster.  Apart from that. I am at a loss to explain what is happening.

cdancer

Thank you after 2 weeks it's still working perfectly. Very happy.