Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
kathrynburgess

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen @Tallowhand  

PLEASE can you send this firmware out to my router urgently? 

I've been on hold for over 1hr trying to resolve this. If this isn't going to be sent out PLEASE ADVISE what we should do? 

As with @Jiffyuk  My router keeps dropping connection and dropping devices that are/were connected to the router.  

We honestly can't continue with plusnet if this isn't resolved. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@drj0nes @Cloko21 @Donny00 @RK @Gordon2308 @Darrell1148 @katz @eskbanker @TomRob & @IDS35 - I have just pushed an update to all of your routers. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply the changes. I hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@pete_000 @TrevB @Karenkew @brianpol88 @ashto @Joshimitsu91 @ericman95 @Rickman @jackandrachael & @Sallyjane - you too. Please reboot your router to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Zoehl @Jiffyuk & @kathrynburgess - Same applies. Please power off/back on at your side to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@minicorrect wrote:

Hi. I've been having an absolute nightmare with my wifi since I got a smart TV and it seems to be getting worse. I tried moving it over to 5Ghz and it worked a lot better but then it disappeared. I've gone into the hub and checked it was activated and separated it from the 2.4 and restarted the router and it's there again, but noticed my firmware is .263 - can you send me an update too please @bobpullen? Many thanks!

I'm struggling to locate your account, so you'll need to drop me a private message containing your account username and device serial number.

@wpattenden wrote:

Could you also push the update to me too?

I've taken a look but it seems you have a line fault at the moment so I'm unable to communicate with the router. Give me a nudge when that's sorted and I'll try again.

@MagNeto wrote:

However, my wife experience a significant amount of drop-out. I am thinking something in the Hub is not agreeing with her work VPN (of vice-versa). I have two questions:

- would you have heard of any compatibility problem of the Hub One with some VPNs?

Not an incompatibility per se, however there is at least one problem we're aware of that can be triggered by VPN use. The symptoms don't really match though. This particular issue would prevent all of the devices on your network from being able to resolve DNS queries i.e. nothing would work when in the failure state. Regardless, I've pushed a further update to your device that fixes this issue too. It would be interesting to know if your wife notices any improvement?

@MagNeto wrote:

- with the multitude of problems associated with the Hub One, are there any plan to replace it, or to make it easier to troubleshoot (I am thinking for example to allow a setting as Bridge only, so people can plug in a Wi-Fi router easily and check whether it's a Wi-Fi or landline issue). An other solution would be to sell the contract with a modem only (one which works) for cheaper and leave the customer to get their Wi-Fi sorted. I appreciate that this is not for everyone, but most people here would be savvy enough to set-up a router and this would make a lot of customers a lot happier.

I've nothing in terms of a replacement to share at the moment. Neither are there any plans to develop bridge mode functionality for the Hub One.

Offering the choice of a modem is an interesting proposition, but I don't personally think it has legs. It'll be a tiny fraction of our target demographic that would understand the differences between a router and a modem, let alone be in a position to comfortably configure third party kit. It's likely to confuse more than it would benefit. Add to that the fact that it would be a struggle to source a modem for much cheaper anyway at the volumes you'd end up shifting Wink

@katz wrote:

Why are you still sending these routers out and to add insult to injury charging for them?

It is a minority that are impacted by this issue. Even so, we don't charge for the router outside of P&P (and we don't charge for that a lot of the time either) Huh

@SirReallySam wrote:
Hey Bob! Firmware update worked a charm!! No issues since it. Appreciate the help. Do we know when this will be pushed to the general public btw?

The .273 build won't be rolled out. See my post here for the current position. I'm fairly confident we'll have a mass update of sorts deployed during the first half of next year. 

@Gordon2308 wrote:
How often are updates pushed through to routers?

If you're talking about the ad-hoc updates folk are asking for in this thread, then the honest answer is - 'when I find some spare time'. I do try to drop by at least once a week, largely outside of my working hours (like now).

@CymonP wrote:

Well, @bobpullen, I'm still having recurring problems particularly on 5GHz (build 287) -- seemingly mainly / initially on Apple devices --  so I'm giving up and spending money (which I shouldn't have to spend) on a Mesh system to replace the router's wifi function. 

Have replied to this over here.

@RobJM wrote:

Has this update now been sent out to everyone? 

Yesterday had to reboot my router,  orange light was on , and noticed in logs it said firmware was .273

Hadn't asked for it btw , although months ago I did have issues, but they seemed to have sorted themselves out while I was looking into it, unless it was done a while ago and I just noticed .

No, it isn't being sent to everyone. Your router was updated months ago as per my post here. Probably explains why you've been problem-free Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TrevB
Hooked

Thanks Bob, all up and running let see how it goes. @bobpullen 

Tags (1)
drj0nes

Thank you Bob, will give it a whirl now

Rickman
Hooked

Thank you Bob, I've reset it and I'll allow the 5g again. So I keep the channels separate still?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Rickman up to you. Should be safe to merge them again if you prefer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RobJM
Grafter

Ah, thanks Bob. 😊

cdancer

I use Google Stadia and I have an issue using the 5ghz band. It works perfectly for a week then it gradually gets worse over time to a point I am no longer able to use it.

The connection remains however it seems as if the reliability of the signal degrades.

Once I reboot the router it works perfectly again for a week.

I am on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I have tried to split the channels however this is still not helping. I have also tried to disable and enable the 5ghz band however this did not fix it only when I reboot the router it works again.

I am no expert but I have a solution that once my contract expires I will move to a different supplier. This is a shame as I have been with Plusnet on and off for a great many years without issues.

If there is anything you can do to help please do.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@cdancer - those symptoms don't really match those being discussed in this thread. It's possible that you're affected by this instead.

I've pushed an update to your device that may help. You'll need to power off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

cdancer

Ok I will try this. Thank you for such a quick response.
JamesCarter

Hi

@bobpullen @Tallowhand  

I have been seeing the same 5GHz issues as the other posters since joining Plusnet. 

I got around this by splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz network but as I am technically unable to use the 5GHz network (DNS errors, consistent drop offs) can you please push the firmware out to my router. 

Current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Regards

James

Broadlands

@bobpullen Apologies if I'm using the wrong format or wrong protocol but I've never used this forum before

I've lived with a problem with my Plusnet Hub One for many months, I bought a replacement router (same model) but still suffer the same problem as with the original one - unable to connect to the internet even though all indications (router hub manager and devices) are that a working connection is established. The only way I have found that fixes the issue (but only short term) is a router reset.  I've tried disabling the 5Ghz wifi and also the hard reset (pinhole on reverse), none of which have solved permanently.   Could you please advise as to what I need to do receive a firmware update ?

current firmware : Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/03/19