Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@ColinBee  What firmware version are you on, your previous posts suggest you had an update much earlier this year, the latest version ends 289.1.3 I don't believe you have been updated to that, but I may be wrong.🤔

viffergb
Grafter

It seems after some 3 weeks the 'Gremlins' are back!  I had to reboot the router earlier today in order to overcome the problem of the WiFi connection (5GHz) repeatedly dropping on my mobile phone at certain times.  Turning WiFi on and off on the phone didn't have any effect.

I have been noticing this issue over recent days, and had hoped it might only be a temporary 'glitch', but unfortunately not.

Looks like I might either have to disable 5GHz radio permanently or investigate the purchase of another router, as reliable operation is my priority.

Out of interest does anyone know or heard if the new Hub Two has the same issue?

ColinBee
Hooked

Hi @RealAleMadrid  I'm on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 16/10/21. @bobpullen did say that he was a: surprised that the problem came back and b: he didn't think that this update would make much difference for me. Thanks for your interest.

ColinBee
Hooked

Hi @viffergb What is the Hub Two, is this a newer router from Plusnet or a model from a different company?

viffergb
Grafter

Hi @ColinBee . It's the newer router from Plusnet as shown on the current Plusnet Home Page

Plusnet Home 

Iandfisher
Rising Star

The hub shown on the Plusnet website looks like the BT Smart Hub
viffergb
Grafter

Agreed.

edgarkls

My router is playing up, too. Wifi is frequently dropping, and router reboots don't solve the problem. Please push an update to my  router, if possible.

Current software: 4.7.5.1.83.8.273,

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@edgarkls - your hub had the update pushed to it automatically last night.

You can either wait another day or so for it to be applied or restart your hub now to accelerate the process.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ColinBee wrote:

As you expected this update has done little to help me. I'm still getting disconnections, incorrect passwords and having to reboot devices and the router. It's driving me mad and I really don't know what to do anymore. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you

Colin

Sorry to hear Colin Sad

I'm a little confused though as your hub doesn't seem to have been rebooted for > 24 days?

I also note your have split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks and (at least at the time of writing) everything is connected to 2.4GHz. Which of the two Wi-Fi networks are the devices you're having problems with trying to connect to? The issues discussed throughout this thread are primarily focussed on 5GHz and all of the Wi-Fi activity I can see in your logs for today, is on the 2.4GHz network. If it's 2.4GHz connectivity that's causing you problems, then the issue would be better investigated as part of a new topic/thread.

@viffergb wrote:

It seems after some 3 weeks the 'Gremlins' are back!  I had to reboot the router earlier today in order to overcome the problem of the WiFi connection (5GHz) repeatedly dropping on my mobile phone at certain times.  Turning WiFi on and off on the phone didn't have any effect.

I have been noticing this issue over recent days, and had hoped it might only be a temporary 'glitch', but unfortunately not.

Logs don't go back this far but I can see devices flip-flopping between the two Wi-FI bands over recent days i.e. doesn't look great.

Remind me - have you tried splitting the two Wi-Fi networks and giving 2.4GHz and 5GHz different names? I'd be interested to know how things behave when you have control over which network your devices are trying to connect to. Not saying this is the cause, but certain devices on the edge of the 5GHz range can act oddly in certain circumstances.

The other question I would ask is around Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters. Are you using something like this? Perhaps a TP-Link device (I can see something on your network)? If there is anything else on your network broadcasting as a Wi-Fi access point, then I would strongly suggest trying to run without it for a period of time to rule out the possibility that it's introducing some of this behaviour.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

viffergb
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:

@viffergb wrote:

Logs don't go back this far but I can see devices flip-flopping between the two Wi-FI bands over recent days i.e. doesn't look great.

Remind me - have you tried splitting the two Wi-Fi networks and giving 2.4GHz and 5GHz different names? I'd be interested to know how things behave when you have control over which network your devices are trying to connect to. Not saying this is the cause, but certain devices on the edge of the 5GHz range can act oddly in certain circumstances.

The other question I would ask is around Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters. Are you using something like this? Perhaps a TP-Link device (I can see something on your network)? If there is anything else on your network broadcasting as a Wi-Fi access point, then I would strongly suggest trying to run without it for a period of time to rule out the possibility that it's introducing some of this behaviour.

Hi Bob

I think I did try splitting the two Wi-Fi networks, but didn't leave it in place long enough to see if it improved matters, and I think it would have been before the recent firmware upgrade that you pushed out to me.

Happy to go ahead and split them for a few days to see what that results in.  I'll try and get it done before the day is done, if not sometime tomorrow.

Yes, I do indeed have a 'TP-Link' extender broadcasting as a Wi-Fi Access Point and I prefer to leave that connected for the time being until we can see the results of splitting the networks, if that's okay?  It's being used by a 'Lenovo P10' tablet which has an atrociously poor Wi-Fi range, so the extender is in a socket approximately 50cm below the tablet.  Once results have been obtained from the network splitting, I'd be happy to remove the extender, again for a few days.

viffergb
Grafter

@bobpullen 

I've split the two Wi-Fi networks.

chilled83
Dabbler

is it possible to push a firmware update on my router seems to be stuck on .263

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown  is all i get

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@chilled83 - I can't see a Hub One online at your IP address. Would you mind private messaging me with your account username and Hub One serial number please?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ColinBee
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen a thanks for your reply. That’s strange as I’ve rebooted it at least twice in the last two weeks. I’ve done it again this afternoon so you can check. The way I reboot it is to remove the mains lead, wait a little while and plug it back in again. Yes, the two bands are split as this was the alive I was given. The reason everything has been connected to the 2.4GHz network is because of the problems connecting to the 5GHz. I have never had any problems connecting to the 2.4GHz. Since this afternoon’s reboot I have connected my iPad and iPhone to the 5GHz. What normally happens is a device will loose it’s internet connection and I will go to the Wi-Fi settings and try to rejoin the 5GHz network, sometimes it will show up and sometimes it doesn’t. When it does, I’ll attempt to join it only to be told that I have the incorrect password (when I know it is the correct t one). Sometimes restarting the device will correct this and sometimes not. When it doesn’t sometimes restarting the router will work and sometimes not. This is why I’ve been leaving devices connected to 2.4GHz.