Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
dodger2

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen  thank you for the update

flicm

Hi, 

Can I please have the update pushed to my router please?

I'm on 263 and I've had problem with the 5Hz Wifi since I moved to plus net.

cirrusedm

Thanks for the update. I have not received the update yet. Please could someone trigger this on my hub asap? 

Matt72
Grafter

Please can I have a firmware update for my router, I have been advised that my frequent wfif disconnections and WiFi with no Internet is because my firmware needs to be updated (please see my original pist made today for reference)
Serial +081441+NQ50611579
Firmware vers 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 last updated unknown.
Thank you
gandl
Hooked

Hi Bob,

I didn't get back to you to say thanks for this second attempt for a fix as thought it would be prudent to sit tight to see how it played out for our wifi and what was said further on, on here ...like everyone who you've supported on here we're appreciative of your time, however in case it is of use on the info side, it does seem like the .1.3 update of .289 has not made the issue go away for us! Over the whole time period for us the .275 you pushed through seemed to be most stable and/or not as noticeable an issue ....can't say that is the same as there definitely not being any issue but since last summer we keep the hub manager open on a browser so that if we notice an issue we can check if the device is on 5GHz and once you put us on .275 it didn't feel like we were having to do that ....until the router automatically updated to .289 in the roll out.

Mostly it seems that any break in the 5GHz now is for split seconds on any of android or apple phones, ipads, extenders, TV Now box and Portal ....but that is still annoying considering when watching sport via NOW box it can lose the internet many times a minute or be ok for longer times ...whichever, it means losing the prog picture while virtually immediately it coming up with "your internet has been restored and can continue to browse" msg ...that still involves restarting the tv prog that was interupted so very annoying.

Neither of us are as IT saavy as many on here but do not too badly for most of the simple tasks to set up and use the devices/smart set ups we have. However we are now getting to an age that it doesn't come as easily ....and as we're paying for fast broadband that we seem to only get half or at times much less of the speed at 20Mb/s ....we are now thinking that we have to take matters into our own hands and pay for something else ....and a mesh system might be a way to go. Reading about that it sounds as though it might be easier to install and deal with ....as I just can't face the stress installing a new alternative router to Plusnet ....and if it all goes pear shaped we still have the Hub one attached.

Can you or anyone tell us in simple language if Deco M5s are as simple as it reads to install and all we have to do is turn off the Hub one wifi to use them ....which in turn then would resolve the loss of 5GHz & perhaps provide the better speeds we are actually paying Plusnet for?Huh

We have been with Plusnet for many many years and used to be very happy with the service. Likely all the providers are as bad as each other so don't know how we will look on this at any renewal point ....I don't really get verbally angry so for now can say we are just plain fed up and tired of this problem.  I do feel all the 189 pages worth of people here on this forum topic must have wasted a huge amount of time like us searching for support and writing all these msgs to try to get a resolve for a problem, ....which @bobpullen probably doesn't really have to time to deal with .....while Plusnet still provide new customers with the Hub One ....and charge all of us for a service they can't provide nor it seems resolve an issue they've known about, after 18months! I hope everyone on here gets first dibs for any new router they bring out ....hopefully in the near future.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@gandl 

Sympathies on your router problem which is all too common. Have you considered a BT HH6? Available for £5-£15 on auction sites and there's plenty of info elsewhere on this site telling you how to set it up -- if I can do it it's easy!

OldFrank
Grafter

Hello @bobpullen 

Could you please push me the firmware update please.

As I am having problems with the 5ghz band.

Hub serial number: +081441-NQ12920120

Current firmware: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Many thanks.

briston
Aspiring Pro

@gandl many months ago I got fed up with problems with the hub1 and did indeed go along the mesh system and got Deco 5. It is correct, very easy to set up and just switch off the hubs WiFi. There is a caveat that you might not be bothered about anyway. Double NAT. I took further steps to remove double NAT but I suspect you can live with it.
gandl
Hooked

Thanks so much @briston ....I read a wee bit about nats and did think it would be beyond us if we needed to resolve that bit ...hoping it will just be ok as you say! 

Do you switch off the wifi on the hub manager online before or after attaching the first deco to the router?

My understanding from reading is that you should set up the deco in access point mode rather than router mode? Can you or anyone let me know if that is what is needed?

Thank you for your comment @Longliner I read about the BT HH6 and buying on ebay etc but decided that a mesh could improve on our old wifi extenders as well as get rid of the router issues.

Fingers crossed!

VictoriaIceni
Grafter

I'm also interested in setting up a Deco M5 mesh. So any non-jargon easy-peasy advice I'm reading with great interest. Thanks for all those answering others' questions.

I actually bought a BT HH6 last year, it didn't improve my wifi coverage at all and I still had to use an extender. I don't even live in a thick-walled or large house. I was also one of those unlucky ones that the HH6 kept rebooting itself every 24 hours or so, very annoying and never corrected itself despite the firmware finally updating.(there's a whole thread somewhere about that issue). So I gave that up as a bad job and after continuing with a Hub Zero and then finally getting a Hub One, I'm still having to use an extender. Trouble is, if the signal is flaky from the HubOne then the extender can only relay the same wavering signal.

So I'm looking at a the Deco idea with a lot of interest, as the Hub One so far is the most consistently connected router I've ever had from Plusnet, just naff wifi. I haven't had to reboot since the new firmware, where as previous HubZero routers had to be rebooted every couple of weeks to get speeds back. No fault on the line at all causing that, just pants hardware. Anyway the mesh idea seems the best and easiest. I don't totally understand the NAT thing, other than if one of the decos is used like a second router, which I don't see happening, as it would be a simple set up. From all feedback on places that sell them it's not mentioned at all for the simple purpose of improving wifi from the original router.

gemdan
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Please can you push the new firmware update to my router?

My 5ghz band wifi keeps dropping out and won't then reconnect again without having to reset the hub. This is intermittent, sometimes lasting ok for a day, other times it drops out regularly every few minutes so I have to resort to ethernet connection to keep working.

Hub serial number: +081441-NQ64416714

Current Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Many thanks

robertii
Dabbler

Hi, @bobpullen 

While trying to sort another problem (https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/WiFi-disconnecting-from-internet/m-p/1842330/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1h... ) I was sent a new hub which is an old software version (263), and @Gandalf has suggested I post here to ask to have my hub updated...

SO... can you update my hub, please? 

petergraham

My new Hub one worked fine for a few weeks after we got it, but started dropping wifi connection to our 2 windows laptops, but also our iPhones, and streaming to an LG smart TV failed.  However, wired connection to a desktop windows machine was always solid.  Using the laptops intermittently all day, the problem always manifested itself in the evening; we would notice it checking in at 1030 pm after eating & watching TV during the evening. It would occur not every evening; one in 2 or 3. The laptops are in the same room as the hub. After Googling for fixes and reading your community blog, I've switched off the 5G, and everything's worked fine since.

Answers to questionnaire:

1. See above

2. Devices with problems should all be connected wirelessly to hub.  Status indicator remains solid blue when problem occurs and stays blue.

3. 2.4G and 5G are at their default settings, and problem affects all wirelessly connected equipment, whether connected to 2.4G or 5G.  Equipment and hub appear to decide which equipment is connected to which channel, and it isn't always consistent.  However, turning off 5G (and everything connecting to 2.4G) then appears to solve the problem.

4. The problem was persistent, that is, it didn't cure itself.  If it was down in the evening, it was still down when I checked the next morning.  I had a windows desktop machine wired to the router which was unaffected, so I was able to monitor hub status.

5. Didn't attempt to trigger the problem, but it would sometimes occur while watching TV stream during the evening when no other devices were being used (although they may have been on or in sleep mode, but not being woken); so no obvious trigger.

6. The problem could always be resolved by rebooting the hub.  It would then be stable for 2 or three days, usually.

7. All our wirelessly connected devices were impacted: two newish windows laptops (Dell Inspiron13 7000 and Lenovo Ideapad 530S), 3 iPads (iPad Air 10.9 A2316 and two older ones), two iPhones (one 8 one 11), a Brother DCP-L3550CDW printer/scanner, an Apple TV (small box) and a new LG smart TV OLED48CX6LB.  The wired desktop is a Dell Optiplex 755, and has been unaffected.

8. No patches.

9. We're in a small house; the hub is connected directly to the incoming telephone line via a filter, the cordless phone base station is connected to the line via a second filter.  Nothing else is connected to the incoming line. We don't use Powerline extenders or wireless extenders. The laptops, desktop and printer are in the same room as the hub.  Adjacent houses have wireless systems; none appear to be Plusnet.   I thought I noticed, when monitoring the hub status via the wired desktop, that the hub didn't always seem to identify all the devices connected to it; so, for example, the laptops would be shown as connected to 5G (before we turned it off) but the desktop on which I was monitoring didn't show as connected at all! On other occasions, other devices might not appear in the connections list, apparently randomly.  Good luck!

snaqvy
Grafter

hi @bobpullen 

Could I also request an update of my router to the latest 289.1.3 firmware? I'm curently on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 30/04/20

experiencing similar issues to those on this thread and connection dropouts. my forum name is also my plusnet username.

(excuse the cross post)

TIA!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@flicm & @Matt72  - your hubs have both already been upgraded as part of the wider deployment.

@petergraham - your hub was also upgraded back on the 17th. This doesn't coincide with when your problems started does it? How have things been since then?

@cirrusedm @gemdan @robertii & @snaqvy - I have pushed the update to your devices. You'll need to power your hubs off/back on to apply it.

@gandl - sorry to hear your problems continued and thankyou for the feedback. It's appreciated. If you don't go the mesh route then I'm happy to take another look when I get a moment. Perhaps the devices are on the limit of the 5GHz coverage and are flipping between 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Knowing what's in the various firmware builds, I think the .275 observation might be a red herring. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵