FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@Minxymoo wrote:
Is @ bobpullen lost in action?

Nope. Just a very busy man at the moment.

I'll try my best to lend this thread some love as soon as I can.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simplesamf

Hello @bobpullen 

When you have a moment, please could you also send the firmware update to me? Not sure what information you require but my plusnet username is simplesamf

Thank you!

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown

daz4265

HI Bob,

I too find the WiFi abysmal. Please send me/arrange an online update

Currently firmware can't be identified via browser. Hub is Plusnet Hub One, over 3 years old, s/n 018441-NQ55001510

Username davconmcs

Thanks in advance,

John

ingouk

i have some wifi problems too. every few months or so i loose wifi on the 24ghz and 5ghz networks. i can disable and enable both networks via a cabled desktop on the plusnet one hub. clients on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz get an ip address via dhcp, but only the clients on the 2.4ghz can access the internet, the ones on the 5ghz can't, they can't even ping the router IP. only a full router reboot fixes the problem. my routers firmware version is: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. All clients still show up on the router in advanced settings - home network. router and clients are in the same room and i am sure it cant be a neighbours wifi network, cause then it wouldnt happen only every few month. 

i did change on client o the 5ghz from dhcp to static but that didnt change anything. 

i can provide traceroutes,pings,  whireshark logs if needed if it happens again. 

thanks

Ingo

forgot to say: factory reset was the second thing i tried. clients on the 5ghz network are all apple devices. while the one client on the 2.4ghz is a dell laptop

nonstandard

@bobpullen if you find a moment in your busy schedule can you send me the firmware update, I currently have the below firmware and two disgruntled teenagers.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 25/02/19

VictoriaIceni
Grafter

@bobpullen 

I'm still on ADSL but needing a new router was sent a Hub One as it works fine for that. (Being able to use 5GHz was something that would help my set up too). I was aware of this thread before and kept an eye on things. I've had it about a month and am noticing drops especially on the 5GHz band which is what I want to use most. Reading this thread I appear to have the same problem. The wifi drops, maybe for a few seconds or refuses to connect on the 5GHz with my phone or tablet, or goes slow for a moment, before going fine again. I always split the two bands and have done most of the troubleshooting.  Honestly, 80% of the time I can live with it, but it's frustrating watching a movie or live sport at times.

The firmware is the .263 version and there is no last update known as I've only had it new a month. An update would, of course, be appreciated.

SS41
Dabbler

Hello all,

I am having wifi issues and my firmware details are below. Can someone please help me get a firmware update. Thank in advance.

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 12:35:50
6. Data rate: 828 / 20113
7. Maximum data rate: 23468 / 20412
8. Noise margin: 11.0 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation: 9.3 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation: 9.3 / 18.6
11. Data sent/received: 3.2 GB / 3.6 GB
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: 10:d7:b0:41:ed:1c
23. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
24. Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
25. Latency type: Interleaved
26. Software variant: AA
27. Boot loader: 1.0.0
SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen 

I don't even know if you're still responding to this brilliant thread, I read the first couple of pages then gave up. I feel sorry for whoever has had to read the entire thing, even if it does span over a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Googled like mad and found myself here. Currently switched off my 5GHz and it seems ok, but could you please fling me that firmware update when you have an ounce of time? Thanks so much.

SS41
Dabbler

Hi all,

Could I also have the firmware update link.

Thanks.
tsharp1093
Hooked

How is this still an issue after nearly 2 years? It's pretty pathetic that Plusnet is yet to release an official fix for this issue, and that users have to come to a random forum thread to beg for a firmware update that might work (it didn't for me).

I'm still experiencing Wi-Fi issues on an almost daily basis, despite receiving the so-called update and despite following the advice given at the beginning of this ridiculously long thread.

The fact that Plusnet even suggest using alternative hardware tells us what we pretty much already know: this is a hardware issue, and as long as Plusnet continues to provide substandard hardware, users will continue to experience problems.

My contract is up in February - can't wait!

RedSTNW
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Please apply the patch to my router.

I'm on the affected firmware (and honestly, almost 2 years later, a patch is known but this isn't sent to new customers by default? I'd love to hear the reasoning for that... clearly there's no issue regression or members that have the patch would have complained by now...).

Answers to the questions in the OP...

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? > Linux laptops, packet rate drops to about 88%, Windows machines drop to around 1%, router constantly shows DHCP client associated & dissociated (by MAC address), all hardware reports no internet connection. Routing tables are all fine, though on one occasion I did see that the PN Hub One had issued IPv6 addresses to all my hardware. Frequency: 100% as soon as a 2nd device connects to 5Ghz wifi. If there's only 1 device, 5Ghz works fine.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? > Yes, hub status is normal / blue, devices report "No Internet" and also cannot access the PN Hub admin pages.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? > Yes. Also tried splitting the networks and customising channels. Nothing I've tried can make the problem stop.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? > Yes, it's persistent. Rebooting the PN Hub will resolve the problem until the 2nd device re-attaches. Yes I have wired devices (mix of Cat7 & cat6 cables, Raspberry Pi, Phillips TV and a Sonos Beam) - yes wired devices have the same problem at the same time.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] > Yes, it's reliably reproducible, doesn't matter what I do, I can't get the PN Hub to not have the problem.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? > Yes, reboot always resolves it, as soon as 2nd device is connected (doesn't matter which device), it appears the PN Hub routing table is corrupted and it simply doesn't accept incoming traffic.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. > All devices I have are affected... Android phones (x2), Philips TV, Sonos Beam, Xbox One X, Raspberry PIs (x3, different revisions), HP laptop running Linux, Asus laptop running Win10 (and Win11 preview, as of yesterday), Sony smart watch, custom built PC, Fire TV stick... Some of these devices were used at an old address when I had a PN account on fibre (this account is ADSL) - never had a problem before.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? > Nope.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. > Might be easier to draw a diagram... all 4 ethernet ports of the PN Hub are currently connected, Philips TV and XBox One X and 2x Raspberry Pi's are wired. See above for list of devices that use WiFi. I haven't even taken the Brother printer out of it's box since moving in...
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I can't stress this enough. I sent Plusnet a copy of my purchase invoice for a BT Smart Hub 2 and quoted 'as described, fit for purpose and of suitable quality'. I got the £54.98 refunded almost immediately which included the postage. If enough people do this I can guarantee that they will find a fix much sooner.

SS41
Dabbler

I'm probably being too cynical, but maybe pn send these faulty routers out so you eventually give up join bt for a higher priced service.

There is no excuse for the bt routers being much better than pn other than that is want they have chosen as a upselling tactic.

I was told I can move to bt as they have just put fibre in the building, but the fibre option for my apartment is not shown on other providers' websites like talktalk and sky.

RedSTNW
Hooked
Fixes: 1

@landfisher - thanks for your posts, and for setting the precedent. In my case, I'm happy to be fair about things - but I also expect fair treatment in return. Though I have in the past had to quote the Sale of Goods Act to a car dealership that didn't want to honour a warranty claim (6 days after purchase, drive shaft popped because a recall item hadn't been done)... so I'm very familiar with the "fair usage" part of the Act.

Right now, for me, I have the 5Ghz issue, as posted above. If PN can resolve it within a sufficient time, allowing for their other workload etc, fine. I mean, 2.4Ghz works and my downstream is no more than 7Mbps on ADSL. 5Ghz is only of any use within the house, between devices (but I do transfer large files inside the house quite regularly).

If that fails, I'll go down the route of buying my own router, and passing the invoice to PN due to the ongoing, well known issues on their router (and their chosen path of "apply the fix for anyone that complains"). But I will be buying a more expensive DrayTek router. PN may or may not cover the whole cost of that, but the DrayTek has features I'd like above & beyond those of the BT router. Being fair about it, I think it's only reasonable that PN at least pay me the same as they have someone else. They'll find it very difficult to refuse to cover me ~£50 given the evidence that they've already paid someone else, and I'm happy to accept that rather than the ~£300 that the DrayTek Vigor will cost.

tsharp1093
Hooked

@landfisher
Where did you send the invoice?