Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Minxymoo
Grafter

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen can I get the latest firmware please?
wliu

Hi Bob,

Can I also get the firmware update please.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bobpullen can I get the latest firmware please? Thank you.

Josephhodgkiss

Hi @bobpullen I am having the same issue. We have tried all above and other advice. On version.263

Please can you send us the new version?
khkats
Dabbler

Hi Bob I have been pointed this way by Mustrum & Baldrick 1.I am 72 year old lady so I am not sure how to check all the things you ask.Joined Plusnet in May and problems from the beginning more than one engineers visit and I was left with the impression that as long as wired speeds were correct then I can't complain.Speeds on Ethernet ok .But I use wi-fi!.So I just put up with it although much lower than my package.if I reset my Plusnet one hub I get 74 download before reset 24 & it stays this way for a few days.This is using speed test checker and on my Redmi mobiles or Lenova Tab.This has been the case since the beginning and can show results since June.I am on Firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.Can you help please.
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I think that it's about time a class action was started against Plusnet. This has been going on since March 2019 and despite the best efforts of some Plusnet are still supplying the same route with the same faulty firmware. This has been mentioned at least twice in computer magazines as a known issue. Plusnet at best is acting in bad faith by continuing to supply these routers and at worst ripping customers off. Let's get this going through a class action or at least through Trading Standards
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Collective action (class action is in the states) for a free router and one that you are free to replace with one of you choice?
Can't imagine that getting very far.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Iandfisher
Rising Star

Dvorak, a moderator? And that my friend is everything that is wrong with rip off Britain. The suck it up and be grateful attitude. No other, none, not a single other company providing broadband to the home would say that the router is free and therefore tough luck if that bit doesn't work. If it's not fit for purpose - let's not forget that it has WiFi built in, then they shouldn't be advertising it as a WiFi router. The 72 year old lady? Your reply is '[-Censored-] do you expect for free?'. As for class action - shameful. You knew what I meant and that was collective action rather than just bulletin board. You've now incentivised me to contact Trading Standards - thanks. I'll keep everyone posted and those that are frustrated and don't want the expense of a new 3rd party router or the suck it solution then I'll send the reference for you to follow it up. Dvorak, you can delete this as you're clearly a techie who is comfortable with both moderating and dismissing the genuine concerns of less informed people.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I merely stated that a collective action lawsuit wouldn't get very far.
I didn't say suck it up, nor did I say it was acceptable. It's something that everyone wants to see fixed.

The premium providers do indeed guarantee better wifi and you pay for that, others care less so.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Irvine_87

Hi @bobpullen I'm a new customer and the same with everyone else having this issue. On version.263

Please can you send new firmware?

Many thanks
Mitchjc123
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen,

Firstly thank you again for all your hard work on this - like everyone here I was a brand new Plusnet customer and couldn’t believe the support centre just advised me to plug in all my devices into the router to fix the problem - even my iPhone?!

You sent the upgrade to my router a few months back and we’ve had problem free internet - until this week. Just in the last few days we’ve been starting to see the return of some of the same connectivity issues as before, with certain devices working fine as others seem to get no internet whatsoever (despite showing as connected to WiFi still). It normally rights itself after a few minutes, but working from home and zoom meetings are obviously a struggle again with it.

I haven’t changed anything or rebooted anything currently as I figured might be easier for you to look at the log first to see if anything’s changed or not working with the current update.

Thanks again for your help.
gandl
Hooked

Hi ....thanks for writing my post for me @Mitchjc123 as this is exactly what is happening to our Fibre Extra broadband wifi too @bobpullen .....timing was roughly Christmas when I found this thread and you thankfully sent through .273 to update us from .263 and resolve our issues. Everything worked fine until the middle of July when we were updated to .289.1.1 as part of the phased roll out that I had read on here was happening and we knew we'd get eventually ....and hoping it would still work!

Our Netgear wifi extenders, laptops and ipads, TV channels and Now TV box all cut out ...it has been getting gradually worse with more devices showing the issue ....but we haven't had to resort to rebooting the router as before with .263 as it happens sometimes just for seconds while showing that the devices all have good wifi signal and by the time you open settings to see it seems to kick back in 😏 ....really annoying ....and the Now TV box is actually being lost every few minutes for a split second this afternoon!

We are not that tech savvy but muddle through mostly. We look at the hub manager and this forum to view what is going on occasionally. Now there are wifi hiccups it seems to show that the device losing wifi link is on the 5GHz. We set up the broadband I seem to remember with the router able to choose which band width was best at any time and now don't think we could set it to only use the 2.4GHz.

After continuing to read all that is still being written on this forum about people still having problems ....and our issue returning, can anyone say whether the only solution is probably to purchase our own router ....even although we don't know where to start on that one and how to set one up! Is there anything that can be done @bobpullen after us just renewing with Plusnet and perhaps begining to regret it !? Thanks for your efforts earlier but hope to hear you can do something.

Jiffyuk
Dabbler

So I did a hard reset of the router as suggested by @bobpullen some months ago but the problem is still happening.
Two different phones had the exact same problem. Connected but no Internet.
To the mod that suggested that plusnet customers pay less, for a router not as good as other dearer Internet providers is perhaps somewhat deluded. When signing up for plusnet, which customers have been informed you are signing up because we are cheap but you router may or may not work. You can of course buy another one. What baloney. Its like buying a car to be told that the wheels may or may not have a puncture every so often but hey you can still drive it. you can buy a dearer set of wheels and all will be good.

These routers need replacing as the software fix is either too complicated or the hub one is not fit for purpose. It has taking to long to resolve and there are still numerous people complaining of connection issues with now two sets of software "fixes".
It makes you wonder if this problem was more widely known (customers services referring people to a forum) then customer retention and new customers may think twice about joining.
Roosterjay

I have to agree with Jiffyuk I'm afraid. Bob Pullen has been fantastic through this but sadly I find it incredible that Plusnet as a company continue pushing out such a poor quality router to new customers even though it's widely acknowledged that it's got issues. I've received the .289 firmware and all has been good for a while but I'm now starting to see the occasional significant drop in speed. Don't get me wrong, it's significantly better than it was but I wouldn't expect it to drop out at all if I'm honest.

I'm not prepared to become a development source for Plusnet so don't want to invest my valuable time tweaking bandwidth names, logging outages etc when I'm already paying what I thought was a professional ISP to supply a reliable service. I've been with Plusnet for around 20 years now and the fact that I'm starting to feel let down for the first time is depressing.

The very suggestion that the 'solution' is to buy the next iteration of the router (the parent company BT has already long moved on from that one)  from uncontrolled sources is quite laughable. I understand it's an expensive undertaking to change out all the Hub Ones but if Plusnet don't do something soon the groundswell of disgruntled customers will soon make it's way onto online forums and suchlike (as long as they're connected by ethernet). Then the Plusnet name will totally be mud and even being cheap won't save the business. Just remember what happened to Mr Ratner!!

MortimerCat

@bobpullen 

I do not know if you still want details, but here is my story. I am an IT developer, consequently, I can have up to 20 pieces of equipment connected to the Wifi.

My problem manifests itself when suddenly all my 5Ghz connected equipment suddenly loses the wifi connection. The equipment on 2.4Ghz carries on working, including Internet access. The hub stays blue. This will happen hours after a hub reset and happens about twice a day.

My dual 2.4GHz/5Ghz equipment can reconnect but will end up on a 2.4Ghz connection. Equipment set to 5Ghz only can still see the network but is unable to connect. No errors, it just times out trying to connect.

My WiFi scanner can still see both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands.

This has happened on both merged channel and split channel settings. In both settings, only the 5Ghz band is affected.

The problem is persistent, it will require a hub reset to get the 5Ghz back again. Wired devices have no problem, 2.6Ghz only devices have no problem.

As a developer, I have the tools to analyse the situation when it occurs. I have narrowed my problem down to the hubs 5Ghz Wifi (Like the thread suggests). My point here is that there is nothing wrong with the Internet connection, nothing wrong with the local network, nothing wrong with the 2.4Ghz, nothing wrong with the PCs and devices connecting.

My hub is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. I see from the thread you are updating the firmware upon request. Is this a newer version?  I would like to be upgraded, please.

Note that I only received my hub two weeks ago, and up to now have been assuming the problems were associated with the initial stabilisation period.