Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Caesar73

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Yes I’m on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

None of my devices can connect to the 5Ghz frequency. It says password not recognised even though it’s the same password as the 2.4ghz frequency- which I’ve checked.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Ah OK, there is an upgrade being rolled out, but not sure how long it will take, or your post may be spotted and your router will get updated manually.

Caesar73

Thanks, just seems odd they have been handing that out for over 12 months but only to select people. Disappointing start to my plusnet contract.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Not everyone is affected, else I am sure they would do it sooner. I guess you are a unlucky one.

Although it is based on the BT HH5, it is not the best router, depending on your previous supplier you may be able to use that router - PN username and password is all that is needed. BT Hub 6 is a popular and cheap replacement.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ckkjkb21 @durvin @jochapple @jcj01 @chimpie @CT1610 & @Caesar73 - I've pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to power your hubs off/back on to apply it. Hope it helps.

@Ashpork - Have you swapped your router out for another model? It doesn't seem to be online at the moment (or if it is, I can't communicate with is for some reason).

In way of a general update, about 50% of devices in the field have been upgraded now. We've hit a bit of an unexpected delay though that means the remainder may still take another month or two to work through (we were hoping to be complete this month).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ashpork
Hooked

@bobpullen I found an old BT HH6 in the attic over the weekend and plugged that I'm instead. I have switched back if you would like me to try out this newer build?
chimpie

Thanks @bobpullen Firmware has upgraded and devices are happily connected. Hopefully they'll stay connected now.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Ashpork - tried again, but guessing the BT hub is back in situ.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

CT1610

Thanks Bob
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@Ashpork 

Lucky you, most of us have had to buy one from auction sites. Have you set up your HH6 for Plusnet? If you have, you won't need the upgrade. If you haven't, the HH6 won't work so follow Baldrick's guide https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

Ashpork
Hooked

@bobpullen Back up with PN router now. I had some work appointments this morning that I didn't want to risk going wrong so reverted to the BThub for those.

@Longliner I'd rather know I've got a product from this supplier that's reliable/works. I've had line issues in the past at this house (largely due to the two cabs my phone lines routes through to the exchange getting flooded), so to avoid any issues with PN support team because I'm not running their equipment, I'd rather run their equipment.

Plus, I could do with the money from selling these BT hubs. I actually found two up in the attic, and am told my box of "just in case" cables/bits is too big and needs reducing.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

OK, I understand. You do know that the Hub One is basically a HH5 and that the HH6 offers much better performance? My wifi is easily 20% better and connection is faster. I keep the Hub One as a spare. There are many PN customers on HH6 and PN does not seem to be concerned about it -- witness the hundreds of posts on this forum. Realistic HH6 prices were about £5-£25 last time I looked. I too have been  ordered to reduce my stock of 'just in case' items!

knoxy7777422
Hooked

@bobpullen I've had this issue since joining back in November past and I can confirm that I am using the affected firmware. Would you be able to push the workaround firmware to my router please as its completely doing our heads in now 😭. Many thanks for all your hard work!
bennett00

Hi @bobpullen , please could you update my router too? I'm now having the same issues with 5GHz. Thank you! 🙏

grahamt
Rising Star

I haven't posted on this thread for ages as I was given a BT HH6 last Autumn and have been using that since then. However, having seen that there's a general update being pushed out I thought I'd connect my Hub One again to see if and when it gets updated. I had one of the earlier updates pushed to me, so my Hub One is running version .273 firmware. I don't know if that will make any difference to the current update, but my Hub One with .273 didn't have problems with 5GHz so I don't really mind how long it takes.

I'll check whether I can spot any difference in WiFi performance, but I didn't have any big problems with WiFi range or speed before so I may not see any change.