Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@supernoodles @mgh65 @bigbobbyfrog @hohoholmes @digitalsquid & @fastfurious65uk - Update has been pushed to your respective devices. You'll need to power your hubs off/back on at your side to apply it.

@BethanyDavies - I'm not confident that your problem is related to the issues being discussed in this thread. The LED statuses you've described are an indication that you're probably looking at a physical fault with the underlying broadband connection.

Version ending 289.1.1 is the latest, and your device was upgraded back on 08/07. Your connection issues look to pre-date this, and a quick glance at the notes on your account suggests that the problem might be down to faulty equipment at the green cabinet your line is connected to. Our Faults Team should be able to see this through to resolution. Sorry for the inconvenience it's causing.

@bertmay - the replacement will be running the older firmware version, so if you do decide to install it, then let me know and I'll push the update again. Either way, if 2.4GHz fails again then it would be useful if the device could be left in the failure state to allow some time for investigation/analysis.

@ScubaSquirrel - Is the newer router online at the moment as I'm unable to communicate with it? Admittedly, I've only glanced at the fault notes on your account, however it also looks to me like the culprit of your connection issues is much more likely to be a line fault Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bornmild

Hi @bobpullen - I see the latest version is now ending ".289".

Are there any notable stability improvements over the version you pushed to me earlier in the year?

"Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 23/01/21"

If so, could you push the latest version - many thanks

supernoodles
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen now seeing 289.1.1 after a reboot Smiley hopefully i can use this router without any 0x3 errors ^^

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@bornmild - have pushed the update your way too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ckkjkb21

Hello @bobpullen !

I will appreciate the update as well, as I'm repeatedly experiencing the 5Ghz connection slowing down to a halt whilst 2.4GHz works just fine.

Thank you!

MaiB
Dabbler

Sorry, Bob, but the improved run with the upgrade has ended.  Disconnections are still less frequent but increasing. A bit of feedback in case it helps

On Sunday and Monday the issue was "default gateway is not available".

On Tuesday I noted the following disconnections ..

16.19 Problem with wireless adapter or access point

16.33 It righted itself

18.20 wifi does not have a valid IP configuration

19.27 default gateway is not available.

Today, Wednesday 28th July,  I have had

12.40  Problem with the wireless adapter or access point and default gateway is not available

Later when I came back to the computer I had this run of disconnections...

18.12 When it righted itself again

18.26 There might be a problem with the driver for the wif adapter

19.14 Wifi doesnt have a valid IP configuration

Each time the blue light on the hub remains on.

mgh65
Dabbler

thanks but the update to 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1 has had no affect on the issue. Within 30 minutes any device on wireless returns to the "no internet" even those any LAN devices are fine.

Tried it on my phone, a DELL laptop and a Lenovo desktop. All failed at the same time while my other DELL laptop continues without interruption on a cable connection

durvin

Hi, how could I possibly get this firmware updtae? I raised a support ticket but they refused to help, they said I'm already on the latest version. my version is:

jochapple

Hey Bob,

I've been getting connection drops again for the past couple of weeks, I'm on .273 (from way back on page 101 of this thread) just wondering if I need the updated firmware? If so could you please push it my way when you have a chance?

Appreciate your hard work keeping this issue under control.
jcj01
Dabbler

Hello I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while lately.

I have tried Disabling or toggling the 5Ghz radio and I have tried extending the DHCP lease with no improvements.

Extending the DHCP lease actually made it worse, the connection took longer to come back on after restarting the router.

I guess the next step is to try to update the firmware in my router, could I get your help with that?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    The device appears as connected but no internet is available. Happens at least once a day.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    The issue is with all the devices connected to the wifi. The hub status indicator appears normal.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Both channels are merged.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The problem is persistent until restarting the router. The few connected devices seem to be okay.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. Approximately a day.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All devices connected to wifi.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Thanks!

Ashpork
Hooked

Hi, 

I've recently (last week) come over form vodafone broadband, and replicated my same wifi set up on the PN router, but I'm finding that after a while, the 5G half of this PN router will fail. either refusing connections, or telling me the WIFI password is incorrect, whilst the 2.4G then goes slow. The only method to restore is reboot (which i don't want to do too often).

I've seen various posts on this in this community, and some moderators suggesting they've pushed an update to the router to help fix it. Am i on the latest version with "the fix"?

The bottom of my router page states: 

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

Seems a bit flaky this router, in comparison to others I've used previously. is the modem/router fit for purpose? especially since these 5G posts I've found seem to have gone on a number of years :confused_face:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

The 5G half of this PN router will fail. either refusing connections, or telling me the WIFI password is incorrect, whilst the 2.4G then goes slow.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The hub status indicator is blue/normal. It typically happens on a weekday whilst I'm working from home.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

I've tried both, merged and split using a 5G SSID matching the 2.4GHz SSID with "5G" appended.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

More regularly happens when I'm working from home (Mon/fri)

When I run DHCP off on the PN router, and using my own DNS server (raspberry pi, running homeassistant & adGuard home) plugged into LAN1, I find it happens more. So am now using PN router DHCP server (and thus PN DNS), to be as out of box as possible.  I perceive it to not occur when not using 5G at all (so have turned it off for now). There appears to be some strange relationship between the 5G and LAN1.

I've just transitioned from Vodafone last week, and their router was rock solid. The only thing to change in the network was the router.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Just working from home with VPN on, and conference calls etc. Typically when my work laptop is running.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting the hub, but appears to resolve it, but the network is often unstable on boot especially if I use my own DHCP/DNS server, meaning devices connecting via WIFI (especailly 5G and frequently 2.4G) are unable to communicate with the DHCP/DNS server, connecting the laptop to another LAN port seems to be fine.. Hence turning off my DHCP/DNS and using the default DHCP/DNS and 5G off for now.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Raspberry Pi4 running Homeassistant and Adguard home
    Dell Latitude laptop (work laptop)
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No software updates have occurred since switching from my vodafone router.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

No powerline adapters or additional access points. 3 mobile phones, tablet, 3 laptops, 5 google homes, printer.
chimpie

I think I've been having the same problems experienced by users on this thread. Is there any chance I can get the new firmware upgrade?

CT1610

Hi, I know this post is a bit old now but I've just come across it and it's what I'm experiencing, was a fix ever found?

Ta
Chris
Caesar73

I’ve just joined Plusnet and after splitting the frequencies I can’t connect to the the 5Ghz broadband.  This thread would suggest it’s a known issue.

Why do we have to post on here to get a firmware update?!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Caesar73  have you checked to see what firmware level your router is? It may already have been done.

Also, is the device you are trying to connect to 5Ghz capable of doing so?