cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
pun_thedon

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks, been able to connect to the 5ghz for the first time since I moved to Plusnet. One day in but so far, so good. Appreciate the help.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Simon974 - I don't have the thread to hand but I found something on Tenda's forum after a spot of Googling the other day where some folks were discussing issues connecting the nodes using the blue ports when there's a switch in the equation. From memory they were saying it worked for some time and then stopped working at some point. Solution seemed to be to switch to using LAN port on the additional nodes. How possible that is for you depends on the feasibility of  also wiring the third node back to the switch I guess.
Might be worth a read regardless if you can find it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Simon974
Hooked

Thanks for that @bobpullen. I'll try and get some time to experiment with it. Your help has been above and beyond I think, much appreciated.
Solitaire_87

Hi @bobpullen,

Found this forum a little while ago, called PN Customer Services a couple of times to try and get it resolved, even had a new router from PN, but still having the same issues.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    During support calls to PN customer services, because of an unstable internet connection, we were advised to split out the 2ghz and 5ghz wireless bands. 
    Devices can connect to the 5ghz band sometimes and get internet for a day or so, sometimes 2, sometimes just for a few hours.  Eventually the 5ghz band drops and you cannot connect to it on any device - Windows 10 laptop, android or ios mobile devices.
    A reboot of the router often resolves the fault for a time, but again, the 5ghz band eventually drops, no devices can connect to the band, if they do, they have no internet access at all.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    During the issue, the hub status indicator remains blue and there are no other indicators visible.
    When the issue occurs, the devices that were connected to the 5ghz band have to switch over to the 2ghz band to get internet again

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Split bands.  Originally the device was setup for "smart wireless" with merged bands, but this resulted in really unstable internet, almost unusable. So PN Customer Services recommended splitting them. This resolved the issue as devices can use 2ghz, however 5ghz remains unstable.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The issue is persistent once the 5ghz band drops, nothing can connect to it or get internet access from it. They must switch to the 2ghz band.  For 5ghz to work, a full router restart is required.
    We have a Samsung TV wired to the device and internet access is not affected on this device.  Having this device disconnected from the router, does not change the behaviour of the 5ghz band either - it will still drop and require a router reboot to connect again.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, this issue cannot be replicated. There doesn't seem to be anything creating this issue.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes a reboot resolves the 5ghz radio issue for a time. The issue will reoccur sometimes the same day, sometimes the next day.  There is no recordable timescale to when this happens.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    No specific devices affected. We have 3 Windows 10 laptops, an iOS mobile and Android Mobile device. Whenever the 5ghz band drops out, all devices cannot connect again.  They are forced to switch to the 2ghz band to get internet access again.  

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No patches have been installed that would affect this issue.  The issue started when PN internet was installed.  Previous internet worked fine on 5ghz band with the same devices. These same devices have no issues connecting to other 5ghz bands and maintaining a steady internet connection.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    PN Hub One router connected to the internet. All other devices (other than previously mentioned Samsung TV) connected via wireless. We have Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire Stick devices also, but these are connected to the 2ghz band and have not lost internet connection despite the 5ghz band issue.
    No other switches, powerline adapters or wireless access points.

During my last call to PN customer services, I was advised that we would receive a new Hub One with the latest firmware update installed. Unfortunately, this is still the same troublesome firmware that we had on the old router: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last Updated: unknown.

Please would we be able to get the new update installed on our router? 

I work from home every day, so having a steady and fast 5ghz connection really makes things easier (especially as I rely on good video calls). If you can assist with providing this latest firmware update, it would really be appreciated :).

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Tags (2)
Darrenmartin

Hi,
I am suffering with the 5g wireless radio not working. Devices connect but without an Internet connectivity.

Router firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Can you push the update please.

Just out of interest, as this issue has been on going since 2019, why as a new customer in 2021 are routers still being shipped out with firmware which is known to have an issue?

Thanks
Darrenmartin

Hi,
I am suffering with the 5g wireless radio not working. Devices connect but without an Internet connectivity.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    2ghz and 5ghz are split. Connects to 2ghz with no issues, 5 ghz initially connected but all devices have dropped off. Iphone is asking for re authentication. Samsung connects to 5 ghz but shows connected without internet

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Indicator is blue at all times

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Split bands. Only affecting 5ghz

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The issue is persistent once the 5ghz band drops, nothing can connect to it or get internet access from it. They must switch to the 2ghz band.  For 5ghz to work, a full router restart is required.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, this issue cannot be replicated. There doesn't seem to be anything creating this issue.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes a reboot resolves the 5ghz radio issue for a time. Issue can then happen either after a few hours to 1 day. All devices drop around the same time.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All devices are affected

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No patches have been installed that would affect this issue.  

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    PN Hub One router connected to the internet. 1 x Wifi Powerline adapter and 2 x wired powerline adapters
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Darrenmartin - update has been pushed. You'll need to restart your router to apply it.

@Darrenmartin wrote:
Just out of interest, as this issue has been on going since 2019, why as a new customer in 2021 are routers still being shipped out with firmware which is known to have an issue?

New devices will be shipped with this latest firmware once there is sufficient confidence in the mass deployment that is underway.

Once we're past the half way mark, we are likely to put a policy in place that will upgrade all devices running < 289.1.1 as they come online. In parallel we will shift manufacturing to use the newer version.

Granted, it's taken a lot longer than anyone would have hoped for to get to this stage - however it's not through lack of effort/priority.

Don't forget that this particular issue does not affect everybody. We have loads of customers using these routers who have no issue with 5GHz connectivity (I was one of them and suffered no issues, despite a pretty complex network setup and > 40 clients associated with the hub).

@Solitaire_87 - really sorry but having some difficulties trying to communicate with your hub. Would you mind factory resetting it please by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear of the device until the status light flashes green?

If you leave things alone, it should automatically reconfigure with your broadband account credentials when it comes back up. Once this has happened, let me know and I'll try and push the update to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Solitaire_87

Hi @bobpullen ,

That's reset and back up now.

I haven't split the wifi bands or made any changes yet.  I will wait for the update to be pushed out and make the changes after that.

Many Thanks Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Solitaire_87 - thanks, that's been done for you now. you'll need to power the router off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

andyw65

Hi 

please could I have the update.

Appear tohave similar problems to most

Poor 5Ghz connections

Poor download speeds

Dropped connections

Thanks

Andyw

AnkersThickett

Hi @bobpullen,

I'm also having difficulty with my 5.0 GHz on my Plusnet Hub One. Current firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Some devices perform very poorly/not at all when connected to Plusnet Hub One 5.0 GHz

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? No issue indicators on router.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? I've tried both, devices perform significantly better when told to prefer 2.4, or if 5 is turned off entierly
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Problem is persistant once it occurs. No additional devices wired to router.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No specific trigger found

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Router reboot can fix issue for small period of time (hours to a day)

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Specifically noticable on a new device with a Killer wifi-6 adapter. I have tried splitting the 2.4 and 5.0 bands, as well as manually selecting channels with no success. I've had to tie the device to 2.4 in order to get decent speeds. (Maybe just more noticable due to doing more downloading and network setup of new device)
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Router connected to master phone socket. All other devices connected via wifi

Many Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@AnkersThickett & @andyw65 - both done. You'll need to power your routers off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Roosterjay

Hi Bob, you've helped out with broadband speed issues that I had before but now I seem to have this issue. As a first port of call is it possible to update the firmware on my hub 1 from 263 or is that the latest, most stable version? Failing that I guess i'll need to split the channels and disable 5Ghz as suggested. TIA Martin

simoncannings
Hooked

Hi,

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
2ghz and 5ghz are split. Connects to 2ghz with no issues, 5 ghz initially connected but all devices have dropped off.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Indicator is blue at all times

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Split bands. Only affecting 5ghz

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
The issue is persistent once the 5ghz band drops, nothing can connect to it or get internet access from it. They must switch to the 2ghz band. For 5ghz to work, a full router restart is required.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes a reboot resolves the 5ghz radio issue for a time. Issue can then happen either after a few hours to 1 day. All devices drop around the same time.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
All devices are affected

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No patches have been installed that would affect this issue.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
PN Hub One router connected to the internet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@simoncannings & @Roosterjay - both done. You'll need to power your routers off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team