Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@picklefifi wrote:

@bobpullen How far away are the iPad and iPhone? Do they report a healthy connection strength when connected successfully? The router is central in my home so no more that 10-15 ft away. the connection is strong when they do connect, but this only last 10-15 minutes. It is n different when my work laptop is turned off. The issue still happens when I'm next to to the router

I would maybe start by completely forgetting and reconfiguring the Wi-Fi details on both devices. I have done this, once when you sent through the fix, another time after I re-set the router 

If that doesn't work, then it might be worth trying a full network settings reset on both devices (a spot of Googling should tell you how). I re-set my network settings after I re-set the hub

None of my mobile devices will connect for long, this includes my work phone which is a galaxy A20. The only reliable devices in my home are my Lenovo work laptop  my Now TV smart stick

If neither of those things work, then I will try and take a more detailed look at what might be happening when I get the opportunity. 

I would be most grateful if you could try to look at this before I consider my next steps with my provider.

@picklefifi I've taken a more detailed look but there's nothing too telling for me to go by I'm afraid. At the time of writing, you have four devices connected to the 2.4GHz radio, and the iPad/A20 have been successfully associated for hours (can't see the iPhone though). This seems to contradict what you say about the Wi-Fi connection 'only lasting 10-15 minutes' Huh

Since midnight, I can only see 14 Wi-Fi events across four devices; again - not massively unusual over a 16 hour period.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen I still online with hub one. I have reply via PM

liamosullivan
Dabbler

Cheers mate. I've rebooted and got the update.

Will monitor moving forward 😃
dholdi

I'm sure PlusNet can afford to throw away all their routers and then spend £180 / customer on new ones.

If you feel that's the way to go they do allow you to use your router of choice.

ggx32

@bobpullen Just joined Plusnet today and had the rather nasty surprise of the outstanding issues with 5ghz wifi. If there's a fix (as seems to be the case with a firmware upgrade) can this please be made to my account? I'm currently on Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263)

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

no internet available when devices connected to 5GHz wifi channel or simply refuses to connect to the 5ghz channel

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
In the Home Network screen the devices are listed under 5Ghz but are all marked as "Not Connected", hub is normal (blue)

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

2.4 and 5GHz are split 

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Seems pretty persistent.  Wired devices unaffected; 2.4 is working fine

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No - I noticed it when my google devices refused to connect to the network, then all of a sudden it all worked but I need to move the router - once it rebooted the 5ghz network refused connections.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

No - I have restarted  a number of times with no success

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

N/A - any 5GHz wifi connection affected

Have the devices experienced problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Router --> wired connection to games PC and WIFI connection to half a dozen phones, laptops, and tablets plus the same number of google gadgets, i.e Nest Thermostat and speakers

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen don't need firmware updates now as I took the hub one off and replaced TP Link VR2800. Just had enough of poor WiFi on plusnet hub one and will not using it again
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ggx32 that's been done for you. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stevekelly74
Hooked

@bobpullen

Its been about 3 weeks now since you upgraded my router to the .289 firmware, and I’m happy to report that it’s been absolutely flawless. No more disconnections on 5ghz and no devices complaining about no internet available. Everything appears to be working exactly as it should now.

I’m very grateful for your efforts in getting this issue resolved.

Many thanks - Steve
Mart5

@bobpullen can you send me update for router as getting same problems mainly with apple products have split 2.5/5GHz and tried different channels all to no improvement thanks.

ggx32

Cheers Bob, I'll give it a go.
DJ99

@bobpullen please could I request firmware workaround, prior to trying a new hub? I'm currently on version .263 and my issues mirror many others on this thread. As requested - 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Consistent device internet drop-off, while Wi-Fi is showing full strength
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub status is always blue
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default settings

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Wired ok. Wireless rectifies itself for a while after a hub reset

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Generally ok('ish) for a few days after

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Two homeworker on desktops / two phones / two tablets / smart home devices

Thanks for your support in advance.

dav2021

Hi @bobpullen

I'm on version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, constant internet drop outs when using Apple devices over last year (same issues as reported by users above). Plusnet support team completely unaware of firmware fix.

Please can you push the firmware update to my router?

Thanks!

cstreharne
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi @bobpullen

As suggested in a related thread, could I please request a firmware update?

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/VPN-connection-and-MS-Teams-calls-regularly-dropping/m-p/180...

Thanks in advance
Stevenmilloy

Thanks, all good now. Appreciate your help.
InteraX

Hi there. Please can I request the latest firmware update.

I'm currently showing version 4.7.5.1.82.8.263 (27/3/2019).

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Random internet drop outs for devices on Wi-Fi, unable to set 5Ghz channel to anything other than Automatic and 2 years of bug fixes/security updates missing.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Devices are showing as connected, but unable to browse the internet. Hub status is blue. Wi-Fi works on other Wi-Fi networks away from Plusnet Hub.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Synced

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Seems pretty persistent.  Wired devices unaffected.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Yes, works for a short period (up to a couple of days) then re-occurrs.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

N/A - any wifi connection affected

Have the devices experienced problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Advanced home network with separate DHCP, DNS, switch etc. Wi-Fi only provided by Plusnet Hub.