Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@picklefifi - that's been done for you. You'll need to restart the hub at your side to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fb93

Thanks Bob, restarted today to get the update, mostly seems better although did just have a blip where the devices (two iPhones) on the 2.4Ghz band suddenly dropped to less than 1Mbps but only lasted a few minutes and now back up to normal ~60+ Mbps. Will keep an eye on this to see if it keeps happening.

Norchison

Many thanks for ‘pushing’ update so soon after my joining ‘Community’.  Fingers crossed!

fb93

Update: It kept happening so have just turned 2.4Ghz band off as I need those devices to get good connections to be able to work. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@fb93 what you're describing isn't necessarily a problem.

Ignoring the fact that this thread is about issues affecting the 5GHz radio (not 2.4GHz) - the broader wavelength of 2.4GHz means it's good for distance, but less so for speed. It's also far more susceptible to interference versus the 5GHz radio. Given a decent proximity to the router, I'd expect 5GHz to always out-perform 2.4GHz, and by a decent stretch.

You might want to look at giving the 2.4GHz network a different name. That way you can choose which devices to connect to it - in case you have any that are located outside of the limited range of the 5GHz network. This said, if you can get a reliable 5GHz signal around your property then things will probably suffice as they are.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jamezcd

@bobpullen all seems to be working perfectly now, thanks for the speedy response!

Kazabena

Thank you very much, Bob! Hopefully that’ll sort things.
Caveman18
Hooked

Thanks 👍 

marksp
Hooked

Thanks, mine has been workgin well for a week now.

rdavison1990

Hi, I have been having the same issues with my hub for a few months now. could I get the update fix please.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? with my phone's it happens 20+ times a day I try not to restart the hub as I know if can effect the network access

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? yes it's blue

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? default merged

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? I have 4x devices wired no issues and some wireless working at same time (2.4ghz ability only )

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]not really normally
happens more frequently when on the edge of signal range for 5ghz

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?sometimes days or not at all

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. mainly phones Samsung s6 edge, OPPO a9
and my gaming pc Acer

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? dropped out while typing this on my phone

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. multiple devices connected. including a signal ext from tp link

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
leedsol

Hello please may I get a firmware update. All devices are fine but for our work laptops. What details are required?
Broadman

Hi Bob,

I'm on firmware 263 and would like a an update please.

What are the symptoms? Internet dropping, no internet.

How frequently does it happen? Every few days.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Yes

Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Merged.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Yes, until router is restarted.

Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Wired devices are ok.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? Yes.

If so, how long does it take before problems recur? A day or so.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Lenovo Ideapad 5, PlayStation 5, Google and Motorola phones.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No, issues have occurred from day 1 of Plusnet.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Power line in use, unaffected.
picklefifi
Hooked

Hi Bob,

I’m still having the problem with connection my iPhone 11 to the wifi. I have reset my router a couple of times but it only lasts an hour or so before I have to use mobile data instead.

Thanks
Fi
Driver21uk

Hello Bob, could I get the update pushed to my router?

Tomdavies

Hi I've been having this same issue with the 5GHz for a few months now. After resetting the router it does connect for a short time before dropping and showing "connected to router but no internet" on the split 5ghz network. The 2.4ghz is always working fine however.

The hub remains a solid blue light. Both 2.4 and 5ghz are separated with unique names.

The problem affects my phone (Galaxy S21) and LG smart TV.

An update would be greatly appreciated. Any other info please let me know. Thanks.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263