Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@philhallinan - that's been done for you. You'll need to power the router off/back on at your side to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen does the firmware come through wifi or come through DSL connection only? My router is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 as last time I used it, 5GHz was stuck below 25Meg I turn off and get rid of it and using my own router.

Do I need to put the hub one back online for the firmware to push through or can I flash it using USB stick before using this hub one.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@goldenfibre the device will need to be online in order to update it. An instruction is sent by a remote server that tells the router to download a newer firmware image and from where.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Ok no worry I stick with my current router as it stable for 74 days ongoing with 5GHz wifi always at higher speed of 75Meg down and 19Meg up.

Stats recorded 16 Apr 2021 22:15:45

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xa4a1 (164.161) / v0xa4a1
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pvfbH043q.d26u
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 74 days 1 hour 40 min 52 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 16 Apr 2021 17:10:43)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 11.6 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 80000 19999
SNR margin (dB): 7.2 15.2
Power (dBm): 12.4 0.4
Interleave depth: 8 1
INP: 49.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

murray2703

Hi Bob,

How do I go about getting the upgrade.

Cheers.
Tags (1)
Norchison

How do you get firmware fix sent to you be Plusnet please!

Having same problems as everyone else on this forum.

Problem started to occur this month!

Thank you.

jcs1167957
Dabbler

My router = Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 26/02/19

I am experiencing performance issues using 5 GHz on the PlusNet Router. I don't know if it is related to the problems being discussed in this thread.

I have had an HP laptop and performance was poor at 5Ghz but 2.4GHz was OK so I have not been concerned. However I have just bought a new Dell computer and experienced the same issue. The PlusNet broadband speed checker reported 11 Mbps using the GHz band and 33 MHz using the 2.4 GHz band when I tested yesterday. The router is located about 6 metres away from the laptop in a cupboard.

Using  Acrylic WiFi Home network analyser there are no other 5 GHz networks visible.

I have just split the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks but have still to repeat the speed test on both networks. I need to find a quieter time as the 2.4 Ghz is only reporting 10 Mbps at the moment.

jcs1167957
Dabbler

Adding more information to my previous post

Plusnet Speed test

2,4 GHz     Ping  9ms, download     36.62, upload 9,33 
5 GHz       Ping 10ms download     18.15 upload 9,32

Local connection to NAS server (100 Mbps Ethernet plugged into PlusNet  router)
Time to transfer 1 Mbyte file and then read it back

2.4 GHz  writing  30.59 Mbps     Reading 46.45 Mbps
5 GHz     writing    1.02 Mbps     Reading   4.92 Mbps

jamezcd

Hi @bobpullen 

I am a fairly new Plusnet customer and experiencing this issue for a while now - would it be possible to push the update out to me please? 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Dropped wifi connection, unable to reconnect despite network being visible, 'authentication error' on phone. Also dropped connection on several laptops, making internet unusable. Happens every day, multiple times per day.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Hub status indicator remains normal/blue during the problem. Other devices (connected to 2.4GHz channel) remain working fine, no loss of connection. After changing to 2.4GHz only, devices are able to connect however with very low speeds (around 2mb/s).
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Using the default setting, merged. Have now changed to 2.4GHz to allow devices to connect, however speeds are poor.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Persistent, only able to connect by switching to 2.4GHz only, however speeds are poor. No devices wired to router.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No. 

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? No, only able to connect devices by changing to 2.4GHz - unable to resolve the problem by rebooting.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Multiple laptops (both Windows and Mac)

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. WiFi router with several devices connected; Windows laptop, Macintosh laptop, two Android smartphones, multiple Google Home devices, WiFi CCTV camera. No devices connected via Ethernet cable.

Kazabena

Hi @bobpullen

I have been a customer for a few months now and have been experiencing this issue for a while. Whenever I try to fill in the help section, it asks if there is a dial tone on the landline - problem is, I don’t own a landline! I stumbled across this, so would this help me at all, please?

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Dropped wifi connection, unable to reconnect despite network being visible, 'authentication error' on phone. Also, it’ll connect to an iPad but then not my phone, or the laptop will work but not the iPad. This is all using the 5G.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Hub status indicator remains normal/blue during the problem. As I said earlier, some things connect, others don’t. The wifi will drop or the sky will buffer because of the connection.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
I haven’t tried the 2.4GHz, but when they were merged, the internet was mostly unusable! It would constantly crash, even with the cable plugged into the laptop and the router, with me sat on the floor in the hallway, it wouldn’t connect.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
It’s been pretty much not connecting, despite resets on my phone. My echo dot lost connection, but after rebooting the hub, it came back on. My iPad has been on and off. Currently, everything is working, except on my phone. It appears, but won’t connect.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
No, only able to connect some devices but the phone remains unconnected.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Apple iPhone 7, HP laptop running windows 10.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
Wifi router is in the hallway, connected to the line nearest to the door, as advised. Hive hub is connected into the back of it. I have two echo dots, one upstairs and one in the living room. An iPhone and iPad connected to it. Plus the smart tv & sky. Then a HP laptop, which is used now and again.
Caveman18
Hooked

Hi Bob,

i s it possible to upgrade my router 4.7.5.1.83.8.289 as I am having issues with 5ghz please?

regards,

Caveman18

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@murray2703 @Norchison @jamezcd & @Kazabena - An update has been pushed to your devices. You'll need to power them off/back on to apply it.

@jcs1167957 I'm having difficulty locating your device. If you can private message me your account username and router serial number then I'll take another look.

@Caveman18 seems you may have a faulty unit so I've arranged a replacement. If you're having Wi-Fi issues once it's arrived and set up then let me know and I'll take a look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

philhallinan

@bobpullen  THANK YOU! It is now working correctly, brilliant service 🙂

picklefifi
Hooked

All of my devices connect except my iphone, so I am now paying more for data! Please can I have the workaround? I'm working from home so cannot move onto 2hz as my video calls are poor quality

Norchison

Thank you for pushing Router update so quickly after joining ‘Community’.  Very efficient!!  Fingers crossed 5Ghz now back to ‘stability’.  Thank you