cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
sbllug

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I am a new customer and I am also having this issue. Would appreciate the firmware update to resolve this problem.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Dropped wifi connection, unable to reconnect despite network being visible, 'authentication error' on phone. Happens every day, multiple times per day.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub status indicator remains normal/blue during the problem. Other devices (connected to 2.4GHz channel) remain working fine, no loss of connection.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default setting, merged.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Persistent, only fixed by restarting router. 1 device wired to router - always working fine
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No clear trigger.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, seems to be. Variable but can be start again within 10 minutes.  Have had to restart router multiple times per day.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    All 5ghz devices seem to be affected.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    No additional switches,adapters or wireless access points.  Iphones, samsung tv, various windows 10 laptops and PC's

Thanks.

Fletch1

Hi @bobpullen 

Further update to say it has now been just over 3 weeks since the update and had no further issues at all. All devices working fine across both channels and switching between channels is also fine. Not had to reboot or take any remediation action. If anything I would say speed is also more stable so all in all a much happier customer

Thank you

dkwarr87

Also reporting back that my WiFi has been working perfectly for the 3 weeks since the update and haven't needed to reset it at all. Thanks Bob
Bingobongo
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

We've had 5ghz disabled for a few months to get around this issue as suggested in your post - now that there's a fix available, would it be possible to have the updated firmware pushed to our router? Keen to use VR devices wirelessly and they need 5ghz.

Current version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    All wireless devices drop their connection and need to be manually reconnected. Happens almost as soon as the device is left idle.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub status remains blue, affects all devices in the house, since disabling 5ghz and running on 2.4 only we've had no issues.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default setting, merged.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Persistent for the wireless devices. Every PC has a wired connection and they've never had any problems.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Turning the 5ghz back on and connecting the problem will show itself that same day.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, usually during the same day the phones will start to drop connection again.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    No switches, adapters or boosters. 4x wired PCs, 4 mobiles, ps4, smart tv

Cheers

WotW
Grafter

Good evening Bob

Hope all is well, was struggling with my 5ghz not working for last 24 hours and just got it sorted. It was either resetting the router that worked, or it was playing with the 'up to 54mps' options for the wireless. I don't think I changed this setting recently.

Could you please push a firmware update to my router too, would be much appreciated.
tris
Grafter

I have two Hub Ones acting as Wi-Fi Access Points connected by wire to my Fritz!Box Modem/Router which is directly connected to Plusnet.

The Hub Ones have two different firmwares (4.7.5.1.83.8.226 and 4.7.5.1.83.8.263) and I'm wondering how I can get them updated to the latest firmware without the Wi-Fi problems.

Is it possible to download and update the file myself as I doubt you'll be able to see them on my network for you to instigate the update?

babylon5

Hi @bobpullen 

289 definitely improves WiFi and overall stability. I don't observe WiFi dropouts or packet losses.

Thank you very much

Minxymoo
Grafter

@bobpullen 

Will the mass updated be over the air or available to download?

rich_kettlewell

Hi Bob can I get this new firmware too?

We seem to be experiencing the same problems you describe and are in the 263 firmware.

Our 5Ghz only works briefly/sporadically.

Thanks
OLDNBLUE
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

I am new to Plusnet and have been experiencing most of the same issues as described in these forums with wifi drop off on all devices while ethernet connections remain strong.

Could you please push me what would appear to be a fix to the firmware to help. 

Many thanks in anticipation.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?  Devices lose internet connection but still appear connected to router via wifi. Happens frequently when 5ghz band is in use.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes devices appear to be connected and hub light is blue when problems arise.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Split. The problem only affects devices connect to 5Ghz band.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Problem persists until either: a) router is restarted or b) devices are disconnected from 5Ghz and reconnected to 2.4Ghz.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode].  No.  Problem appears to happen randomly any time from 1 minute to 2 weeks after reset.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes but problem recurs.  Time for recurrence varies (see above)

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  All devices connected via 5Ghz including Apple IPad Pro, Fire TV stick, Lenovo laptops, HP laptop.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No.  Problem was there from day 1 with router but I just didn't realise what was going on.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional switches, powerline adaptors or wireless access points.  Too many devices connected to list

Please could you push the Firmware update that resolves this issue? My current firmware version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@stevekelly74 @fb93 @kiale @sbllug @Bingobongo @WotW @rich_kettlewell & @OLDNBLUE - I've pushed an update to all of your routers. You'll need to power them off/back on to apply it.

@tris If you private message me the serial numbers, then I can take a look but I strongly suspect I'll be unable to do anything without the device being used for PPP connectivity. Neither can I provide an option for you to update locally I'm afraid.

@Minxymoo wrote:

@bobpullen 

Will the mass updated be over the air or available to download?

Over the air.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

WotW
Grafter

Thank you Bob, much appreciated.
kiale

Thanks Bob. Will post an update to let you know how I get on.
stevekelly74
Hooked

Many thanks for the update, Bob. I’ve rebooted and it shows the .289 firmware now, and everything reconnected successfully. I’ll see how it goes for a while and report back.

Thanks again, your efforts are appreciated.
philhallinan

@bobpullen I am an existing customer and am also having this issue. Would appreciate the firmware update to resolve this problem.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 29/08/19

Unable to connect to 5GHZ channel. VERY VERY slow upload speeds (<0.5mbps)
    Hub status indicator remains normal/blue during the problem. Other devices (connected to 2.4GHz channel) remain working fine, no loss of connection.
    Default setting, merged.
    Persistent.
    Yes, it is very rarely possible to connect to 5GHZ.
    No
    No.
    Using a ubiquiti wifi AP, and a netgear switch. Various TVs, ipads, phones, PCS connected.

It would be great to get this firmware upgrade!