Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
0llie

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen 

I’ve been experiencing 5ghz issues for quite a while now and was sent a new Hub One but the issues persisted.

Devices regularly loose connection and occasionally when I reconnect it’ll say password is incorrect when it’s correct.

I’ve ended up plugging the Hub into a bluetooth smart plug so whenever the connection drops at least I can reboot it easily which is usually a daily occurrence.

The software version on my Hub is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Please can I have the new firmware update pushed out to my hub.

Thanks
Adrian35nr

Hi Bob,

I came across this whilst trying to resolve a long standing issue with 5GHz wifi channel on my Plusnet Hub one.  Could you push the firmware update to my Router?  The answers to the questions you asked are:

• Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

The 5GHz channel is visible to devices but they do not connect to it manually.  Some devices can be connected to it manually but show no broadband connection or in a few cases have a very slow connection e.g. about 2Mbps rather than over 50Mbps as achieved on the 2.4GHz channel (I am assuming it has not reverted to using mobile data instead).  Rebooting the router resolves this issue for a while.

• Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub and the hub status indicator is blue when the problem occurs

• Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

I have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels split (different wireless network names) and the problem only affects the 5GHz network.

• Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

• Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

The problem occurs every-time the router is turned on or rebooted although the time it takes to happen can vary. I have not found a way of triggering it or a device that is associated with causing it.

• Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting the hub resolves the problem.  The time it takes to resolve the problem varies from about a minute to about an hour (although at first it could be a bit longer).

• If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All devices are affected.

• Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

• Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Home hub one located at front of house (so it is close to the master phone socket) with a wired connection to a BT Home Hub 5 at the rear of the house acting as a access point (with different wireless network names to the Plusnet router) and network switch - all devices can connect to the 5Ghs channel of the BT Home Hub 5 with no problems. There are four network switches used and a Powerline adapter has been used while this problem existed but now replaced by a WiFi extender working in client mode.  Devices include 3 laptops, 4 smart phones, 4 desktops 3 TV's, a sky box and 3 games consoles.

Thanks,

Adrian.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Adrian35nr @0llie & @simonpdowling - I've pushed the update to each of your routers. You'll need to switch them off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simonpdowling

Thanks @bobpullen, will report back any issues

brocken

@bobpullen I’ve had this issue for over a year. Could you push the update to my router please?

Thanks

docsubaru
Hooked

@bobpullen I’ve had this issue for some time. Could you push the update to my router please?

LeviBond

Hi @bobpullen I'm a new Plusnet customer and recently noticed the exact issue you outlined happening with my Apple devices. It happens with both me and partner's iPhones and our MacBook Pros. We have other devices that are seemingly unaffected, such as a PS4 and a Nintendo Switch. It's worth noting that we've found a workaround in having a powerline adapter plugged in and connecting to that instead of connecting directly to the router - this seems to avoid the random disconnects. I also tried toggling the 5GHz radio and connecting directly to the router, and while it did fix the random disconnect issue, we did notice a considerable drop in quality and speed of connection. I think we are currently on firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, could we please have the new version pushed to our router if it seems to be working?

• Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Apple devices will randomly disconnect themselves from the router. Upon trying to reconnect we have one of two issues; either we get an error saying the password is incorrect (more common), or we can connect to the router and then have no internet connection (this is rarer). The problem is permanent. If we reset the router the problems stops for an hour or so and then returns. When this happens we can still connect to our powerline adapter upstairs and have a normal stable connection, even with the effected Apple devices.

• Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The devices are all Apple devices and are all connected wirelessly (we don't use wired connection, and we don't own a Windows PC to test with unfortunately). The hub status indicator is always blue/normal when this problem is occurring.

• Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The problems occurs when the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels are merged. If the channels are split we seem to be able to connect to the 2.4GHz normally without the problem effecting us, however the internet quality does drop. Upon trying to connect to the 5GHz channel with the effected devices we get the incorrect password error - the problem only affects the 5GHz network.

• Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Once the problem occurs it is persistent and permanent, without resetting the whole router. The only devices that seem unaffected are video game consoles (PS4 and Nintendo Switch). The affected devices are all Apple devices (2 iPhones, iPad, 2 MacBook Pros). We do not have any other devices to test with.

• Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

There's not necessarily a reliable way to recreate the issue as far as I can tell. Our Apple devices all seemed to work fine without any issues for the first week of our internet installation, but ever since then we can't go an hour after rebooting without encountering it.

• Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

The problem is always resolved by rebooting the hub, it usually only takes between 1-2 hours for the problem to recur.

• If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

2 Apple iPhones are affected (one is an iPhone XR on software version 14.4, the other is an iPhone 11 on 14.4.1). 2 MacBook Pros affected (one is a 2019 16" Pro on Catalina 10.15.5, the other is a 2016 15" on Mojave 10.14.6). PS4 and Nintendo Switch seem unaffected.

• Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

The problem seemed to affect all Apple devices around the same time, however myself and my partner are on different software versions and the devices are different models, so the common denominator is the Plusnet hub. There is no correlation between recent software updates and the issue being triggered.

• Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

We moved into our new home roughly 4 weeks ago, and had our Plusnet internet installed roughly 2 weeks ago. We have our Plusnet Hub downstairs, most the time a PS4 is connected to this (unaffected by the issue). Myself and my partner also have our iPhones connected to it most of the day (badly affected by the issue, meaning we can't connect to it recently). Myself and my partner both work from home and use both our MacBook Pros connected to the Hub too. Again, these are both badly affected by the issue recently, meaning we can't connect to it at all these days. We have a Powerline Adapter with the other end upstairs, as we struggled to get the range of the hub to reach our master bedroom. As outlined earlier, we've found that connecting to the powerline adapter upstairs is actually a workaround to the router issue - our Apple devices can connect to the Powerline Adapter with a fine internet connection most of the time. Regardless of proximity to the Plusnet Hub, our Apple devices cannot connect to the Plusnet Hub due to the issue, however we have not tested using a wired connection (this would be inconvenient for our setup).

Champa

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? (Unable to connect to 5G, incorrect password although password is correct)

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? (When router rebooted, devices appear to connect but don’t work, they then disconnect and incorrect password is displayed. Blue lights on as normal)

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? (Networks split and named separately, issue only affects 5G. Tried pairing as one, saving, then separating again, changed password, renamed 5g network but still have issue)

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? (Persistent for 5g only, 2.4 wifi and wired devices not impacted)

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] (not known, have used 5g since had hub 1, only a recent issue)

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? (Not as such, see point 2, rebooting does not solve problem)

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. (Impacts all devices that try to connect to 5g)

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? (No)

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. (1 wifi extender connected to 2.4, been used for some time never caused issues with 5g. 1 tv and 2 mobiles are the only devices that normally use 5g)

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
MagNeto
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen 

@bobpullen wrote:

@MagNeto wrote:

One question for you: since the mass firmware update has been unfortunately delayed, is there any way we could instead get the "new" modem, that I've seen advertised somewhere PlusNet will switch to, instead? Unless that is a hoax. I understand it's a tricky one but the current state of affair is really stressful for home working, and it is just too good an excuse for any IT department to blame PlusNet if a problem arise (which I suspect is the case with my wife).

I'm not sure what you're referring to? The Hub One is the current device we are shipping to customers 🤔

I thought there was an other "hub" coming this year. Wishful thinking I guess.

Re. the problem, I can say with more certainty the following: the 2.4GHz band does lose internet connection at random, daily. When that happens, it doesn't depend on the type of device using it (noticed on LG Android, Google Android, Dell Windows x2). If we then switch to the 5GHz band, everything is fine. Sometimes, switching back to 2.4GHz is ok, sometimes we need to wait 1 hour or more for the 2.4GHz to work again. So far, just waiting has been enough; we did not need to reboot the hub. All along, the blue light was on and the wired internet was OK.

For me, having only the 5GHZ band working is much better than having only the 2.4 GHZ working, as I have a small house; but really, I (or my devices) should have the choice. I hope the next firmware will solve that too.

Glennbakey831

Good Morning Bob,

I am experiencing the same issue with the 5GHz WIFI as the previous messages, would it be possible for the firmware upgrade please?

Let me know if you need any further details?

Thanks. 

rgristle

Hi @bobpullen I've just joined plusnet and discovered i seem to have the 5Ghz issue described here. Can i have the firmware update please?

oily
Hooked

Seems i have the same problem of my 5ghz not working at all on my router,any chance of the updated firmware please @bobpullen ?

rickbeau

Hi,

I've requested the update via the support phone line which they agreed to pass on to you.

That was a couple of days ago so how can I tell when it's been done?

Will the firmware version or install date change automatically or should I reset periodically to see if there's been a change?

Many thanks.

MrThomas

1) Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Anywhere between once a day to once a week.
I'll come home from work and try to connect to the wifi.
I either get no internet connection or I cant connect to my local network.
Sometimes I'll be asked for the password again, which doesn't get accepted.
If I log into the hub controls on my desktop which is connected via ethernet, I can see that nothing is connected to the 5ghz channel and all devices have been moved to the 2.4ghz channel.
Seems to be the same set of devices that get 'banned' from the network and everything else goes onto the 2.4ghz.
Some devices still get internet connection, however speed is usually much slower

Splitting the channels doesn't solve the issue, toggling the channel on and off doesn't solve the problem either.
So far the only solution I have is to restart the router, which is a bit of a pain.

This has been happening for over a year now and at 2 different addresses as I moved house, although I've kept the same router.

edit: My router is "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 13/03/19"

2) Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Everything looks normal on the hub itself, light is blue.

3) Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Channels are usually merged although I've tried splitting but no avail.
2.4ghz is usually fine, although its quite slow.

4) Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Desktop is wired via powerline adapters and always has a good connection.

5) Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
Usually it happens when I get home and try connecting additional devices to the Wi-Fi.
Sometimes it will be fine until my partner also arrives home and tries to connect to the Wi-Fi.
Seems to be the same set of devices that get 'booted' and everything else goes onto the 2.4ghz.
Some devices still get internet connection, however speed is usually much slower

6) Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes, always works, takes maybe 10-15mins to resolve and be back up and online.
When the router boots back up I usually have to log back into the hub, and click through a few prompts for the internet to kick back on and then things are good until it next happens.

7) If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Macbook Air, M1 - Big sur
Pixel 5
iMac

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No

9) Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Bush TV
Chromecast
Google home hub mini x 2
Samsung Galaxy S20
Pixel 5
Windows 10 desktop (connected via powerline adapters)
Macbook Air M1
iMac

nigeldewebb

In answer to the questions in the original post

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    --  Some devices (only seems to affect 2 PCs running windows 10; 3rd PC not 5Ghz capable, android phone, TV not affected, but don't know if these are 5Ghz capable) cannot connect when it occurs or connect but report no internet.
    Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  
     -- They seem to connect and immediately drop out again

Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
      -- Yes blue, never seen it any other colour when the problem occurs
    Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
     -- Problem only seems to occur when merged. when the bands were separated could always connec on 2.4Ghz but generally not on 5Ghz when I tried.
    Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
      -- Yes. No wired device but old PC not 5ghz capable never always has a connection.
    Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    --  No, it seems entirely random, device can be OK for a couple of days or only a couple of hours, didn't seem to occur at all until I had the new router for abouta  week.  
    Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    --  Only tried reboot once and it seemed to fix it, fiddling with some aspects of the wireless config also seems to fix it (or may be it's the time this takes)
    If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
   --   Lenovo laptop and Samsung tablet (both Windows 10)
    Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
     -- Possibly MS auto updates them, most devices not affected do not run Windows (and PC not affected not is old hardware and not 5ghz capable)
    Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
     -- no wifi extenders or repeaters all devices connect via wifi to the hub.
        Android phone (not affected)
        Panasonic TV (not affected)
        settop box (not affected)
        old HP desktop PC (not affected)
        Lenovo laptop (affected)
        samsung tablet (affected)
        1 HP printer (not affected so far as I've noticed)
       in general I'm not seeing anything connnect via 5ghz when I've looked as I write this everything is connected on 2.4ghz

Had no problems with my old plus net router (new one arrived when I upgraded my broadband recently) new router says Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
 I've just tried applying the DHCP lease workaround.