cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
SmallVegetables

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks @bobpullen great black ops support! Rebooted now and will monitor and report back.

churcher45

Thanks @bobpullen - that's much appreciated!

I've rebooted the router and it's showing that the new firmware has been installed.

My Mac is now connected to 5ghz and so far the connection has remained stable. I'll report back with any issues or, hopefully, confirmation of continuted stability.

Cheers!

AndyDe

Thanks @bobpullen update has been applied.  So far so good.

Gerry3

Thanks Bob @bobpullen 

I'll give it a try

Gerry

JohnB47
Hooked

Thanks @bobpullen. Much appreciated. Will report progress.

Vik76ok
Hooked

Thanks @bobpullen I appreciate it! Lets hope it works!
dkwarr87

Thanks Bob, router rebooted and the update has been applied. That's good timing as my 5GHz had gone again and I needed to reboot the router anyway Smiley

If it's stable for more than a week, I'll consider that a win

MagNeto
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen 

Just some new feedback: I have only been using the 2.4GHz band and my wife the 5GHz one. Over  two weeks, I only had one loss of connection out of nowhere, but unfortunately, again, I wasn't near the router so I cannot vouch it wasn't the line (unlikely though).

The bandwidth is still reduced sometimes, but mainly in the evening, so that could be the line; I didn't have time to check the 5GHz then.

My wife reports much less problems in the 5GHz, but she still has sometimes issues. I think she also has some VPN issues, but her IT dept would not check it because the connection is fine when she uses an Ethernet cable to the modem; maybe they've heard of the PlusNet problem and jumped at the chance to avoid spending time on it. Going in circle with this problem.

Something else I've noticed, which may or may not be related, is that when my laptop comes out of screensaver (not sleep), it shows a wifi connected to 2.4GHz but without internet, the same familiar message I had with fw 269. If I then switch to 5GHZ, everything is fine and when I switch back to 2.4GHz everything stays fine. This is bit odd. To avoid any red herring, I've just spent 2 weeks somewhere else and the wifi connection with my computer was perfect all the time (set-up was automatically switching between 2.4 and 5.0 though so you could argue there is a chance my 2.4GHz hardware might be faulty; I'll check that properly as soon as I have a chance, but I really doubt it).

One question for you: since the mass firmware update has been unfortunately delayed, is there any way we could instead get the "new" modem, that I've seen advertised somewhere PlusNet will switch to, instead? Unless that is a hoax. I understand it's a tricky one but the current state of affair is really stressful for home working, and it is just too good an excuse for any IT department to blame PlusNet if a problem arise (which I suspect is the case with my wife).

To avoid this, I have ordered a new router, which I'll use as AP. I wanted to avoid it, but since the PN modem does not allow modem only connection, I'll try that until a new router arrives, or I loose patience and buy myself a new modem. I am not sure where that leaves me with the PN contract cancellation, but I have to act. It is not OK to ask people (customers) to play roulette with their internet connection now that it has become a lifeline of its own. Make it slower if need be, but make it stable. I don't see the National Grid getting away with it if anyone could get a brown out a couple of times a day. Let's face it, internet access has become an other essential service with the pandemic. Please don't wait for a government response to act.

Best wishes,

ElementalDave

Hi I've been getting this problem of being able to connect to the 5ghz WiFi but not getting any Internet.

1) Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
All devices which are connected to 5ghz band cannot access the Internet. It only started yesterday where a router reboot fixed it. I can't keep doing this as it will upset the DLM. It's happened twice now within the space of 24 hours. 2.4ghz band is still working perfectly although at lower speeds (as expected). On my galaxy s10+ it says no Internet and when I try to reconnect it asks me for a WiFi password again, when I enter it, it says "couldn't connect to network".

2) Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
All devices can connect to the hub one but can't connect to the Internet. Hub status is normal/blue.

3) Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
The WiFi bands are split and I am only facing issues on the 5ghz band.

4) Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
This is the second time in 24 hours. Nothing is connected via ethernet cable. All devices are connected via WiFi.

5) Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
The only thing that has now changed is that I have 3 smart lights now connected to the WiFi on the 2.4ghz band which speaks to my phone and Google nest via WiFi. I only installed this yesterday. In the past when I've used my chromecast ultra or Google nest, I had this issue intermittently but it went away by itself. Now I'm thinking whether IFTTT/Google devices is what seems to trigger it.

6) Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
It certainly looks that way, in this case it has taken 24h for the 5ghz not to work.

7) If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Not device specific, all devices on 5ghz band can't connect.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
Not to my knowledge.

9) Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
On the 5ghz band:
Google nest mini
Samsung Galaxy S10+
PS4
LG Smart TV
4K Chromecast Ultra

On the 2.4ghz band:
3 x Smart Light Bulbs (Each having an individual WiFi connection)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ElementalDave try rebooting your hub. I've just pushed an update to it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@MagNeto wrote:

One question for you: since the mass firmware update has been unfortunately delayed, is there any way we could instead get the "new" modem, that I've seen advertised somewhere PlusNet will switch to, instead? Unless that is a hoax. I understand it's a tricky one but the current state of affair is really stressful for home working, and it is just too good an excuse for any IT department to blame PlusNet if a problem arise (which I suspect is the case with my wife).

I'm not sure what you're referring to? The Hub One is the current device we are shipping to customers 🤔

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simonpdowling

Hi Bob

I've been advised following twitter support convos to ask to be upgraded. I'm currently on the 263 firmware and have had the 5Ghz channel disabled for around a year due to the issues.

What information is required to get it pushed to me?
Fletch1

Hi @bobpullen 

So far I have had complete stability on both 2.4 and 5Ghz since the new release (.289) was installed.

6 Laptops, 2 Ipads, 2 iPhones, various Wireless speakers, boosters and cameras all spread across both channels and no issues whatsoever since 23/03 so looking promising at the moment and certainly better than things were. Will advise if I see any issues going forwards

Thanks again for including me in the trial

adam1330
Hooked

New firmware seems to be working for me as well, I've had no drops of the 5ghz channel since it was installed.

simonpdowling

1) Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Any device (phone/laptop) connect to 5ghz channel gets 'no internet' for around 10 minutes, and either requires flight mode trigger on the device, or restart of the router. Happens intermittently, sometimes a few times an hour, sometimes it works for a few hours.

2) Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
All devices can connect to the hub one but can't connect to the Internet. Hub status is normal/blue.

3) Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Wifi bands are merged, same password

4) Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
All devices wired to the router (console/smart TV) work absolutely fine, as do those on the 2.4ghz channel

5) Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No way of triggering, happens when the router is under a variety of different stresses

6) Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes, that or airplane mode resolves it but it can occur again almost immediately at rando

7) If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Lenovo Ideapad 330S - Windows 10
Apple iphone XR
Google Pixel 3

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No

9) Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
On the 5ghz band:
None currently, I have had it turned off for around a year (turned it back on at the weekend and noticed the issue was still present, so turned it back off)

On the 2.4ghz band:
Lenovo Ideapad 330S - Windows 10
Apple iphone XR
Google Pixel 3
Smart Light Bulbs (Each having an individual WiFi connection)

Wired:
Playstation
Switch
Chromecast Ultra
Hub for lights
Powerline adaptor to PC (unsure of model, work loan)