cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
layla

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi Bob. Thanks for cracking this. Speaking with your colleagues on the phone this week this isn't a problem that's even on their radar. I'm still on .263 (not even .273) and now have no access to 5GHz and very poor 2.4GHz. When you're back from your well earnt R&R, please could you push out a firmware upgrade to me?

DanielRW
Hooked

@AndyCqos
Frist want to welcome you to the plusnet family and there great customer service. As your so new to plusnet and had your hub new for only a few days, I would contact customer service and say your hubs faulty out the box and see to get a replacement sent. Normally I would say wait but yours is so new its ridiculous that it's broken already. Give them a call.
AndyCqos

@DanielRW 

I hadnt thought of that, I guess I could do that.

But, as the router I just got last week doesnt have the latest firmware on it I dont suppose theres any guarantee a replacement would either.

lalalaokay

Hi @bobpullen, I'm still on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 when can I expect an update to be pushed to mine? Thanks for the hardwork on this thread!

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Might be best to wait for the full roll-out.

@bobpullen wrote:

Can I politely ask that those still on .273 wait for the later build to reach them as part of a wider deployment, rather than request singleton updates here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Strat  I wonder if that was a slip up by @bobpullen and he really meant the current firmware release which the vast majority of customers are still on, that is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 🤔

MixerFistit
Dabbler

I assumed he meant as .273 is no longer the newest version, not to ask to be further upgraded until a mass rollout is underway.
Basically, those on .263 will probably still get upgraded to .289? Or whatever it is and skip .273 whilst those on 273 should be in a position to wait for the release version that gets pushed to all customers overnight whenever it's ready.
DanielRW
Hooked

@AndyCqos
The hubs affected all seem random, I think some are wrose than others, mine worked for almost 3 years before I had problems. Sorry for the slow response as there so many people posting things quickly get buried! Do let us know the result!
JohnBlight
Hooked

Despite the 289 update, problems persist.

Within a day or two, activity slows to a crawl, and the router requires rebooting. That works temporarily until the next requirement to reboot.

Displaying the router’s management pages takes an age. DHCP leases are lost within a minute or two (according to the DHCP table).

Persisting with the Hub One seems futile, and it looks like I’ll have to incur the unwanted expense of a new router.

CVHawkeye
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen I just had the 5 ghz problem today. Could connect to WiFi with internal IP leased ... but no routing to internal file shares to other devices and no internet access. Wired and 2.4 ghz works fine. I am on .263 firmware could I request for an updated firmware that will fix the problem.

brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I stumbled across this thread by accident while looking for alternative hubs to the Plusnet one. I have experienced this issue over the past 18 months & with recent events don't think it has gone away entirely, hence my looking for a replacement hub. The most recent event was with my new Chromecast with Google TV a week ago & as that happened my OnePlus 3T, whilst ancient in phone terms is still pretty reliable but was also affected. My desktop is right by the hub & is plugged into an ethernet port. That is not affected. My iPad too has experienced this. My Kindle doesn't because that is 2.4Ghz with no choice TINA.

Early on receipt of the hub I separated the channels because I found that most of my devices didn't connect to the 5ghz side automatically so separated them fairly early on. My home is fairly compact being a small bungalow with no brick walls dividing rooms up so WiFi is fairly good throughout. The firmware is the latest.

The frequency of the problem has got more spaced out. I'm only forced to reboot every 2-3 months & it is usually the newer devices that are sensitive to the condition. Like everyone at the moment I'm watching more services using my BB connection.

Overall the bandwidth I get is well within the target for a 40/10 service, being 37Mbps down & 9Mbps up, sometimes quality dips but if I repeat the test disappears & quality improves.

I shall further my search for non-Plusnet box.

Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
CVHawkeye
Hooked

Thanks for the feedback. I got my 5 ghz back on line. Rebooting the router didn’t work, I reboot several times and failed. I then disabled and reenable the 5 Ghz WiFi specifically and left the 2.4ghz untouched. After which everything works, I hope this ad hoc fix lasts. It seems there is a bug in the firmware that interrupts the routing to both the base NAT network (because I can’t file share to devices even though I had a leased NATs IP) and the internet. I hope a better firmware can be pushed to me or this fix lasts.

charliecambs
Dabbler

Apologies for long post but a bit of possible context.. WAP wifi drops out too?Huh

As a 15 or more year "force9" user I had noticed a few " no internet access" drops on wife's work laptop (usually when she had deadlines) Hub 1 Reset usually fixed for a while.as did ethernet to usb connection.

My son switched to Plusnet at his house a while ago and started to see drop outs. Help line got him to separate w-ifi bands but this made no difference. Engineer came and put a new master on one of the extensions ( not quite how I expect it to be wired (as main master to disconnect all extensions from ADSL) but not sure how this was expected to fix w-ifi ( particularly with the huge number of posts on here!)

I already had a HH6 business hub which I lent which i helped set up and he's had no more issues.

In my caseI have seen at least a daily drop out  over the last few days although the amazon devices jump to 2.4 seamlessly. The other laptop "can't connect" or no internet.

I have 2 HH6s one allocated to replace the hub 1 as main modem/router and the other set up as WAP to extend signal into driveway. 

It occurred to me that if i set the WAP up and connected devices to it the Plusnet hub via ethernet drop outs shouldn't be an issue ( wife work busy so didn't want to mess with main incoming router). set it up so Hub 1 lan to unmanaged switch, lan to upstairs unmanaged switch and added hh6 wap there. 

Spare laptop and phone Connected to 5 gHz initially OK BUT when main hub dropped wifi I lost internet access on laptop connected to WAP. only hub 1 reset restored it and hub 1 dropped again 10 minutes ago.(amazon devices droppedover to 2.4 but had been on 5

Is there any significance in the WAP disconnecting as surely its accessing internet via its Ethernet to main router???

teatrayfc
Hooked

Also on .289 here, and although I haven't had to restart since @bobpullen pushed the firmware update to my router I still see wired devices 'disappear' from the Home Network screen, although the devices are still accessible and usable. All are on fixed IP addresses, and I have not yet enabled 5GHz network (one thing at a time!) Even if a device is listed as connected to a port, the status below it states 'Not Connected', too. As per my previous post, something is broken in the vicinity of ARP tables...
Bob, if you need any logs etc please let me know!  plustnet ID is lostatsea.

EDIT have updated this post and attached a pic to illustrate!

LithiumBlue

I am speaking on behalf of my parents, our 5 GHz wifi still has the eventual disconnection problem even after doing everything in the current forum post other than Extend the DHCP lease (which I am currently trying now), but as the post says it most likely is only delaying the problem rather than resolving it. We are currently using a BT Smart Hub, after testing a replacement plusnet hub that was sent out, but we still get a complete disconnect from the 5 GHz wifi eventually, which seems to resolve itself through a modem reset for a day max (sometimes it's literally less than a minute) before reverting completely to being inaccessible. We have recieved a lot of very helpful advice from the customer service team; but so far every single option hasn't resolved the issue, and the 2.4 GHz channel often gets ping problems when everyone's using it at the same time.

I am simply curious to know exactly what the root cause of this disconnect is and if there's anything that can be done to resolve this issue.

Many thanks 🙂