Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@aleph-00 @jhol78 @willsy24 @teatrayfc @Sk065 @djmj57 @jesnes @emilyh1 @Rosiejswilson & @brking - Same for each of you. Your devices have all downloaded an update and will need turning off/back on to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@timraper wrote:
@bobpullen
please could you push to my hub one?
Thankyou

Done. Same advice applies. You'll need to power your router off/back on.

Anyone else who has commented over the last 3 weeks who I haven't explicitly replied to either no longer appears to be using their Hub One, or was already upgraded to a newer firmware build via another support channel.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MagNeto wrote:

For diagnostic purpose, we decided that I would be on the 5GHz band whilst she was on the 2.4MHz one; same for our respective work laptops. I thought it was her work VPN "causing trouble/being incompatible with the router", but interestingly, one night at the weekend, her phone and her tablet lost internet connection, whereas my phone and my tablet were OK. I am beginning to wonder if we now have a 2.4GHz problem on this firmware?

Has this happened since? I'm interested to hear from folk experiencing issues with 2.4GHz where the band completely dies. We noticed something curious in testing where something like this happened, although upon further investigation it was not specific to the newer firmwares.

@MagNeto wrote:

Re. fw 263 lab test, did you try to get the bands busy, i.e. several devices sharing the same WiFi channel?

Yes, at least 30+ devices. Incidentally, I personally ran a Hub One on my own network with 40-50 devices for months and not once did I experience the 5GHz issue being discussed here 😕

@MagNeto wrote:

Also, I am probably going beyond my remits here but, have you talked to Sagemcom about their router?

Yes, we've been in continuous dialogue/collaboration with the vendor.

@babylon5 wrote:

Hi @bobpullen 

I have exactly the same symptoms as @MagNeto describes. Rare 2.4Ghz issues, bandwidth seems to shrink from time to time (it's noticeable when I watch youtube in 4K) and recently renewed contract.

Does the 2.4GHz channel completely die, or is bandwidth jut low? 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks are extremely variable and subject to all sorts of interference/fluctuation.

@bikeman wrote:

Let's face facts here, the firmware update is a skunkworks by 

Not true. The firmware update is provided by the manufacturer, and the majority of feedback following its application is positive as this very thread is testament to.

@bikeman wrote:
And even if it did, do you really think Plusnet would roll it out via a single engineer responding to individual requests in a forum.

I have stated several times in this thread that the intention is to deploy a formal update to the entire populous. My efforts here (mainly in my own time) are to lessen the pain for some of you whilst the deployment is readied.

@stevewx wrote:

Therefore I believe it is hardware related and not firmware.

Whilst your case may be different, if we were solely looking at a hardware defect, then there wouldn't be so many reports of success following a firmware upgrade. None of the devices we've had returned as part of the investigation yielded any identifiable hardware fault.

@teatrayfc wrote:

Should someone from PN respond to this post please can they confirm when the updated firmware will be pushed to all PN Hubs???

I expect deployment to begin early next month 🤞

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

chsherry2

Hi @bobpullen - Could you please push this firmware to my router please?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@chsherry2 wrote:

Hi @bobpullen - Could you please push this firmware to my router please?

Done Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Wipeout
Grafter

@bobpullen 

While your on a roll Thumbs_Up please fire the updated firmware my way also.

Happy to try it to overcome the 5ghz issue before resorting to another hub.

Cheers 👍

DanielRW
Hooked

@bobpullen 

Better late than never, The update has been applied and happy to report that all my issues have been fixed!

Thanks so for much for getting the update to me. if I experience any problems i'll let you know.

I would like to know if Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289 is the final patch or is this still a work around?

keep up the Good work Bob! 

-one Happy plusnet customer.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Wipeout - oh, go on then! Give your router a reboot Wink

That's me done for tonight guys and I'm on R&R time until next week. Will try my best to check in when I'm back in 'the office'.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DanielRW wrote:

I would like to know if Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289 is the final patch or is this still a work around?

Final patch, although can I politely ask that those still on .273 wait for the later build to reach them as part of a wider deployment, rather than request singleton updates here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tjmilburn
Hooked

thanks very much @bobpullen 

emilyh1

Thank you @bobpullen , your time and effort is appreciated 

JezOwen
Hooked

Just short of 5 days since my firmware was updated and suddenly my phone has stopped connecting to either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. It is not clear if this is a router issue or because plusnet has decided to cut my service because I cancelled my direct debit. If it is the latter then it is poor form, as I had a message yesterday asking me to pay within 9 days. I had informed plusnet customer services I would pay once my broadband had been fixed and so was waiting to see how the router performed with the new update first. From what I've seen elsewhere, the issue could be another 5ghz problem but I am not sure. Either way, either the router is still faulty or the customer service team have decided to block my account but only on one device, which sounds odd. I've been a loyal customer for nearly 10 years and expect better than this.

One bright note is Bob Pullen, who seems to be single handedly trying to preserve PlusNet's once  proud reputation. Bob has been fantastic. If only they would hire more Bobs and fewer of the other lot who do nothing and only damage the business's reputation. Can't wait to leave and go elsewhere.

UPDATE:
Turns out my latest issue was down to plusnet customer "support" blocking my access... So now I've clicked a box I can access again until I pay. I couldn't do this when I was blocked as it wouldn't let me access the page to do it but I managed it using mobile Internet. You'd think they would want to keep a customer of nearly 10 years but no, apparently not. More than 2 weeks since they last responded to my ongoing issue.
brking

Thanks for your support, very much appreciated. 

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@bobpullen 

Not affected by this problem but nobody can fail to notice your sterling efforts on behalf of PN customers. Enjoy your R&R and thank you Bob!

AndyCqos

I am new to Plusnet as of Monday this week. Everything has been fine so far but tonight I've encountered this problem. I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, as I have devices that dont like 5Ghz. Everything on 2.4 is working fine but the 5ghz either wont connect or connects without internet.

My router is on .263, how long am I likely to have to wait for it to be upgraded to .289?