Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
djmj57

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I bought the Tenda AC8.

Disabled wireless on the Hub One, connected the WAN port of the Tenda to a LAN port on the Hub One.

Everything is connected wirelessly to the Tenda, as well as the Ethernet devices.  Nothing else connected to the Hub One and will not be.

I set it up in router mode with Dynamic IP connection as i want to use the features you can't use in Access Point mode.

All seems to work so far.

djmj57

It's worth adding i've actually set it to Access Point now - in the hope that no bandwidth control is needed as it's so much better (and hopfully to avoid any conflicts between the two).

JezOwen
Hooked

@brking

Strangely, we first noticed this issue after we had a Sky Q box installed too. However, when I turned it off the problem still persisted so not sure it is connected to the issue.
I had had issues prior to it with our line being poor but not this specific 5ghz issue. As a temp fix you can just use the 2.4ghz band but I would recommend messaging Bob Pullen with a private message and ask for the 273 firmware update. I've had it for 2 days and so far, so good.
Good luck!
bigshineybike
Dabbler

Bear in mind turning it off and on again gives you roundabout five days.
spacepods
Dabbler

This issue is now over two years old with problems still present with the 273 FW. If PN are unable to reproduce this then how can consumers really expect a fix. We're really being asked to do some testing. Given the widespread nature of the issue, I don't really see how they aren't able to reproduce the issue. It doesn't fill me with confidence that Plusnet really know what they're doing.

Could this be an issue that justifies the regulator getting involved? Perhaps a complaint to them might get Plusnet to pull out all the stops to resolve the issue.
fedup2020
Hooked

Could i have this update pushed through too please - I thought I had asked some time ago, but I am still having problems with Whatsapp and phone over wifi dropping out.  And now also my work laptop is refusing to recognise wifi (I can connect via an ethernet cable), and my security camera isn't 'pushing' notifications also - are these also connected? (or do I need to raise another request??!)

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, it's annoying, but Plusnet is still great value and as said so often you get what you pay for in the Hub One. Again, many PN staff are off with  illness or isolating, others are working from home with perhaps greater demands upon them as so many people are also working from home and totally dependent on BB.

Plenty of advice here on setting up a HH6, someone has just posted that he bought one for £9 (I paid £15!) so how about a little self-help instead of constant moaning -- we all know the Hub One is cheap and cheerful but fulfils the needs of most customers. If you don't want cheap and cheerful, then pay for expensive and cheerful, plenty of hi-tech routers out there, or go to another ISP with more backup resources and monthly costs to match ... I had a quote for double PN price.

(Grabs coat, heads for the exit ...)

fedup2020
Hooked

That response was nasty and unneccessary.

I am simply asking for help - I am no tech expert, but I am having problems, so was hoping for some support

MixerFistit
Dabbler

@Longliner that is possible for many of us, myself included and it's a great alternative; however, how many less tech savvy customers are struggling with this and getting told it's their environment or interference? Customers are being lied to by tech support.
Plusnet aren't even the cheapest at the moment, I only chose them due to their supposed excellent customer service I presumed would be worth paying a few quid extra a month.

Let's not forget the Hub One (HH5) is a pretty decent router in itself but the PN firmware has a major bug. Purchasing a HH6 is an excellent suggestion and to be fair not that difficult to implement but you'd be surprised (and maybe saddened) to see how many people out there do not use computers and just want WiFi to work like any other utility. They only care about Instagram, twitter, Facebook or have only bought it so little Johnny can remotely bash someone's vitual head in on the latest game he's too young for. Maybe there should be a bit of responsibility placed on the users end to learn more (we used to joke there should be a computer licence) but until Plusnet are open and honest with their customers by telling them they're aware of a problem, some people are going to be jumping through hoops for the duration of the contract.
I'm a former Royal Signals tech, former broadband tech support analyst going a bit further back and still work with comms equipment daily and I still managed to waste around 6 weeks on an open ticket telling tech support the issue is definitely a bug, until I decided to check the forums and realise the development team was already aware of the issue years before I had even signed up. Fortunately for me, a replacement router was sent (did not resolve) and Bob quickly provided the firmware patch. This then allowed me to flash the spare with Openwrt.

There would be barely any problem if whenever this issue cropped up, tech support identify after some basic checks and send the patch to the router and have the customer monitor the situation for a few days. 99% of people would be happy with this solution and they wouldn't have to come to this thread and beg for the patch waiting an undetermined amount of time for Bob to provide the firmware. He's been quiet for a while so we don't know if Bob is on a holiday, under a heavy workload (doing his real job) or worst case he's ill which is unfortunately a fair chance these days. Why plusnet expect him to issue firmware manually to customers on his own is beyond me.

Anyway, I'm detaching myself from this thread as I'm up and running myself so will also collect my coat and exit Smiley
lloydbayliss

Really good points @MixerFistit  A simple acknowledgement by the support folks and a push of the workaround firmware would make all the difference, even if it's not the final solution.  I read somewhere (may have been on here) that PN are looking to roll out a new router, if that would include retrofitting for all users is doubtful though.

Personally, I went down the HH6 route after Bob pushed the updated firmware out to me and I continued to get various other issues.  That made a huge difference and I would recommend it to anyone who is even vaguely confident of getting under the hood.

More recently I've seen a major downgrade of my download speeds during the evenings (70+mb in the mornings, dropping to 1.5mb in peak evening times).  And while it's not relevant to this thread, suffice to say BT tested the hell out of the line and found it perfect (the visiting engineer said he wished his line was this good).  PN refused to accept it was an issue at their end, so I swapped the HH6 back out with the Hub1 but no change.  Contention or traffic shaping is my best guess.

I've now pulled the trigger and am moving to Sky with an almost embarrassing deal after ringing them yesterday.  So long Plusnet, it was great for a while but something's not right now.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@fedup2020 

I'm sorry that you should consider my post as nasty, my apologies for that was not my intention. There are many complaints about the Hub One and PN will address them sometime but don't hold your breath!

I was suggesting that PN staff are under great pressure -- as are other industries -- so why not help out and save time, the HH6 offers an easy and quick solution to many problems as can be seen on another thread. We live in extraordinary times don't we? Stay safe and I hope you get sorted.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Apologies for the radio silence folks.

@Arcanum @jamesbswan @CecilSneer @JohnBlight @tjmilburn @mattb46 @nigeltsang @DanielRW @Crodley040489 & @JennyH1 - I've just pushed an update to your respective routers that should hopefully resolve your issues. You'll need to power off/back-on at your side to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

timraper
Hooked

@bobpullen
please could you push to my hub one?
Thankyou
Rosiejswilson

@bobpullen please may I have a firmware update as well. Thanks

JohnBlight
Hooked

@bobpullen

Thanks, Bob.

I see I have the 289 update. Are there changes other than to 5GHz WiFi that I might expect to see?