Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Robadobalus

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi,

I'm also experiencing all the issues described in this post and have finally started investigating. 

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
Broadband connection and Wifi drops out probably once a day on average. 
Route re-starts logs show a Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)

Power cycle of the router seems to fix the issue the short-to-medium term. 

Problem more noticeable since working at home - more devices using the router and the 5GHz network. 

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Hub light mostly blue, but sometimes when the Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3) occurs it will go orange then back to blue. 

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Merged - default settings

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Problem is consistent. Rebooting the router fixes it for a while.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
The issue seems random and happens frequently.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes but only for a short while

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
All devices affected - Android phone, Google home, mac, HP Laptop, Google Home Assistant Installation

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No - Running Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/03/19

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
Plusnet home hub ethernet wired to Raspberry PI, wifi 5GHz to laptop, google home and android phones. 2.4GHz connected to smart switches. 

Running Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/03/19

- Logs seem to go back with the watchdog issue to then, though not easy to scroll back as there is a lot of data.

Is there a new firmware version you can send me, or should I do a factory reset, or is a new router required?

I am now dropping down to 2.4GHz only to see if that solves the issue. 

Thanks
Rob

shineyhappy2020
Hooked

Here are my observations of the 5GHz WiFi bug using the Plusnet Hub One.

1. The problems I see are authentication errors, incorrect password when attempting to reconnect or no internet connection if successfully logged in, using the 5GHz connection.
I don't recall seeing authentication errors using the 2.4GHz connection, however this connection also appears to be unreliable to some extent, e.g. YouTube will stop playing and then display a buffering icon, and the wifi symbol on my Google Nexus 7 tablet will show zero signal strength. However this can recover after a few minutes and mostly manifests as a poor/slow 2.4GHz WiFi connection.
The errors occur within an hour of reconfiguring or resetting the hub.
No such errors were present using my previous router from BT and network coverage has never been a problem in my home.

2. The errors occur across a variety of devices: Two Amazon Echo's, Samsung S6 phone, Google Nexus 7 tablet, Roku 3 media device.
The hub status indicator is solid blue at the time the error is present.

3. The problem occurs only with the 5GHz network enabled, in all combinations: merged, split with the same SSID and password, split but using different SSID's.
Using different network SSID's for each band, the Roku 3 device that was previously connected to the 5GHz network, shows its status as "not connected". However, that same device is shown as "connected" in the Plusnet Hub One webpage "advanced settings", "home network".

4. The problem is persistent once it occurs.
No devices were directly wired to the router at the time.
With the fault present, I can successfully connect my Linux laptop to the hub via an Ethernet cable or 2.4GHz WiFi.

5. The fault is reproducible. Merging or splitting the WiFi bands will clear the fault for a short while however it always returns.

6. The errors occur within an hour of reconfiguring or resetting the hub.
I am reluctant to test the effects of rebooting, as my Plusnet contract started 5 days ago and I don't want to affect the line profiling process.
Note that all users should have their lines re-profiled when the bug is fixed, otherwise I and many others will pay another penalty if the connection speed is reduced due to this software fault.

7. My device Operating Systems: Android phone and tablet and whatever OS is used in the Amazon Echo and Roku 3 devices. Windows and Linux appear reliable but are connected via 2.4GHz WiFi or Ethernet only.

8. It is highly unlikely that my devices have all simultaneously had updates. The change of router from BT to Plusnet is the trigger to these events.

9. My current router setup: 2.4GHz WiFi only with the exception of an Ethernet cable that is only used if the WiFi fails. 5GHz WiFi is disabled.
My current devices: Roku 3 media device, Amazon Echo's, Android phone and tablet, Linux and Windows 10 laptop. No other access points or PLA's are used.

Side note: PLA's are a terrible idea and create huge problems for Radio Amateurs through the interference that the attached mains wiring radiates in the HF bands. Please do not recommend their use!

I hope this information is of use and do not hesitate to get in touch if you want me to test updated software.
Regards, Ross.

jakewornham
Hooked

Hi,

I'm also experiencing all the issues described in this post and have finally started investigating.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
Broadband connection and Wifi drops out probably once a day on average.

Power cycle of the router seems to fix the issue the short-to-medium term.

Problem more noticeable since working at home - more devices using the router and the 5GHz network.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Hub light mostly blue

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Merged - default settings

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Problem is consistent. Rebooting the router fixes it for a while. Does not impact wired connections

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
The issue seems random and happens frequently.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes but only for a short while

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
All devices affected - but only wireless

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
Plusnet home hub ethernet wired to home plugs then wireless for everything else

Is there a new firmware version you can send me, or should I do a factory reset, or is a new router required?

Thanks
Jake
Legend

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    My iPad, iPhone and Echos disconnect from the 5GHz band. When I re-enter the password it says that it is invalid. It happens very regularly.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    My iPhone disconnects and reverts to 4g. The hub is normal and gives no indication of any problem.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    I always had them split until this problem occurred. Merging the networks did not solve the issue. It only affects the 5GHz network. I have now disabled the 5GHz network.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    It is persistent and is briefly resolved by rebooting the router. Devices that are wired to the router are unaffected.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No, I haven’t been able to identify a pattern.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, it is briefly resolved by rebooting. I don’t know how long it takes to reoccur but it doesn’t take long to happen again.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    The only devices I connected to the 5GHz band were my iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XS and Echo Dots.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    These devices receive regular updates, but do not seem to correspond with the error.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. iPad, iPhone, Echo Dots x 4, Hive hub, Bose Soundtouch x2, Sky box, PlayStation 3, Laptops x 2, Blink hub, Amazon plug and Android TV. No additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Please send the new firmware that fixes this issue. Many thanks.

tvkris

Hi Bob,

Can you please update my router to .273 as specified in this thread ?

I have the same problems as specified in this thread.   My wired connections work fine.   Also my wireless connections to 2.4 GHz work fine.   But the 5 GHz keeps losing internet connection and only a restart of the router solves the problem for a period of time until it reappears again.

Thanks.

tvkris

Hi Bob,

Can you please update my router to .273 as specified in this thread ?

I have the same problems as specified in this thread.   My wired connections work fine.   Also my wireless connections to 2.4 GHz work fine.   But the 5 GHz keeps losing internet connection and only a restart of the router solves the problem for a period of time until it reappears again.

Thanks.

JestersTear
Dabbler

Thought I would bob into the thread - can't quite believe this is STILL an issue and Plusnet haven't got a fix yet. This is exactly how you lose your customer base!!

So glad I switched to a BT HomeHub 6 router a few months ago - 100% trouble free wifi ever since. Will seriously be reviewing my contract once BT can give me a FTTP service (next couple of months)

matiushu
Dabbler

Plusnet support couldn't deploy an official fix and only offered to send reminder to Bob on my request to update.

Not sure why we can't just be able to download the firmware and install it
Peter_Paul_fox
Hooked

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? The problem has been there from installation which was about six weeks ago. It firstly only affected the LG TV which is closest to the router. I had to use 2.4 GHz. Android and iPhone did connect as well as laptops running 5GHz. After three weeks 5 GHz dropped on all devices connected to the Hub One.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? As above YES and always blue

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? For testing i have always had different SSID's. Only the 5GHz network is affected

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? 5 GHz has never returned since it dropped. If the device is ethernet wired then wifi is not present.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Re-booting devices has no effect and neither does removing and re-installing the 5 GHz channel

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? It restores the 5GHz for a week or so but at a very reduced power. A 5GHz phone has to be within 5 metres. Even next to the router the phone only displays half signal strength. 2.4 GHz is at full strength over 10 m away 

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Affects all devices on 5GHz

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Only routine OS updates

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. I have two additional access points (ADSL routers configured) hard wired to the router. The 5 GHz works on any devices within the range of the access points.  I got the Plus One when I upgraded to FTTC. I have ordered an ASUS router to replace this Hub One as it is getting annoying with the lack of 5GHz. I also have devices (RPI's mainly) which need to be on fixed IP addresses and Hub One doesn't support this. Some of them are not operational now.
pbramley

Hi @bobpullen, Been happy customer with Plusnet for over 15 years with absolutely no problems until now - Noticed this as an intermittent problem (once week) few months ago but in last month rapidly escalated so now problems several times day of different devices losing wifi. While investigating came across this very helpful thread. Have the 263 firm ware.

Could please push the update to my router?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    devices disconnect intermittently from wifi, some appear to stay connected, but no internet. try and refind and message states incorrect password, Happens often but irregularly. Sometimes more than once a day but at other times will go a day and half
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Devices appear to be connected to the hub for a time before demanding a re-entry of the password then doesn't accept this. blue hub status indicator when it occurs but no internet on devices
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Initially merged then split the channels in the hope that this would help but it doesn't, SSID's named differently, now disabled 5GHz
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Hard ethernet wired devices desktop imac computer/ Smart TV appear ok though some buffering occurs more often now.  I have TP -link power line system that I was using for last three years before and this seems to occasionally drop and have to be reset
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No. can occur any time
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. can be for a few minutes or up to couple days  Still occuring having extended the Lease to 21 days
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    it varies  - with no pattern some devices appear to retain wifi whilst others lose it MacBook pro, iMac, iphones x 3, ipad - although the iphone SE and 6S  also had dropouts on the 2.4 band when I completely split to two different SSIDs
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. 
  10. The home network consists of 3 x iPhone (SE, 6S and 8), MacBook pro, iMac, iPad, Panasonic Smart TV x 2  Use TP -link av200 and av600 wifi mains links for poor reception in two parts of house

Grateful for any help

Pete

AARRGHHHHHHH

Honestly I'm fed up with plusnet. How is posting on a public forum the only way to fix your crappy router?
It fails multiple times a day, and doesn't reboot until manually unplugging it. Annoying when WFH, very worrying when away for a week and it stops me accessing CCTV and even the WiFi thermostat, so I get home to a freezing house in the middle of a snowstorm.

In the meantime, your Twitter page suggests posting on this forum to find a fix.
It's not the 5ghz issue, I fixed that myself by simply disabling 5ghz. The rest of the router just keeps failing.
Update it, or send me a third-party router that actually works.
briston
Aspiring Pro

I ditched the supplied router. Purchased a modem and a mesh system. Instant cure.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Willinh @TonyClegg @russellbeggs @Odinhm @Kwokey888 @shineyhappy2020 @jakewornham @Legend @tvkris & @pbramley - I've just pushed an update to your respective routers. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply it.

Hope it helps 🙂

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Robadobalus wrote:

Route re-starts logs show a Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)

This implies a hardware failure, so our first port of call should be to replace the router. One should be with you at some point during the next week. If the issues persist with the replacement then let me know and I'll take another look.

@Rickman wrote:
Hi Bob, it's worse on 5ghz but now affects the 2.4 as well.

Something doesn't quite fit in which case and we could be looking at a different issue. I have just pushed another update to your device to rule out a few other things (you'll need to reboot again), however if the issues persist then I'd suggest dropping me a message in private so we can diagnose further outside of this thread.

@Peter_Paul_fox wrote:
I got the Plus One when I upgraded to FTTC. I have ordered an ASUS router to replace this Hub One as it is getting annoying with the lack of 5GHz. I also have devices (RPI's mainly) which need to be on fixed IP addresses and Hub One doesn't support this. Some of them are not operational now.

Did we provide you with it, or did you source it elsewhere? I'm struggling to locate a device associated with your account. If you'd like me to try upgrading the firmware then please drop me a private message containing your account username and device serial number.

As an aside, it is possible to assign fixed IP addresses to the Raspberry Pi's, by either editing your dhcpcd.conf files, or by assigning an address via the router's DHCP server as described here.

@AARRGHHHHHHH wrote:
It's not the 5ghz issue, I fixed that myself by simply disabling 5ghz. The rest of the router just keeps failing.

Then you are posting on a thread unrelated to your issue.

I'd happily push an update to your device that resolves the various issues/bugs we are aware of, however I'm guessing you're now using a BT hub. Shout if you do go back to the Hub One for any reason and I'll take another look/help diagnose what might be happening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Deividas1981

Lost my 5hz connection and its only coming back if I reset hob . Its only a month old hob . Please help . And my network is jumping up and down sometimes to only 2mbs from usual 45/50mbs