Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
gandl
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi

We have been having the issues noted exactly in your description intermittently for a couple of months until recently when it has got much worse, having had no bother before. It has become quite frustrating and there is a need to reboot the Hub one router nearly every day which hopefully hasn't affected our broadband line profiling! Eventually I have found this thread thankfully ...and hopefully an answer!

The router is running the latest firmware (4.7.5.1.83.8.263) but can you please send the workaround swiftly in the hope this works, as we are not technical and all the explanation and other things suggested are too much to cope with ....but getting desperate as at times we don't have any players on the smart tv and our family are in other countries so we do need wifi options for contact.

We do expect this to be fixed as we are paying for this broadband and expect a service where it works ....so if we get this amount of issue continuing we will be trying to leave Plusnet ....although we have been with them for a very long time with no problems until now so a bit disappointing that our Hub One is one that has developed a major issue.

Thanks ...fingers crossed you send and it works!

Tags (1)
BravoW

@bobpullen

Hi, 

Can I get the update pushed to mine as well?

I've similar issues where no devices can connect to 5GHz.

Many thanks

ceiag

Hi @bobpullen @Tallowhand  we are also having this issue on .263 - please can you push the firmware update to us?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Mobile phones dropped from WiFi approximately 1 day after resetting router. They would appear to connect but show "authentication problem". Realised this was a 5GHz issue so split the bands and now they stay connected to 2.4GHz. Tried connecting my laptop directly to the 5GHz band and it will show connected, no internet (Win 10).

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Hub status is normal. Devices connect but have no internet or similar.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? They were merged and any 5GHz capable device was having the issue. Now split, the issue only occurs on the 5GHz network.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Only affects wireless devices and persists until the router is reset, then works for about a day. Wired devices seem unaffected, as do those connected to the 2.4GHz band.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] I believe its just time elapsed since the router was reset, though I cannot confirm that.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Seems to be, takes somewhere up to a day.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. Two OnePlus 5T phones, both latest version of software. Dell laptop running latest Win 10.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No software updates on the phone since I installed Plusnet about a month ago.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Router directly connected to master socket. One powerline from router to office but it does not have any WiFi. No secondary access points or anything like that.
VaughnS
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen, Please help I am at my wits end with this and also having this issue on .263 firmware. I have only had the router for two weeks as it was sent to me in prep for switch to fibre but has been nothing but trouble after an initial 5 days of good behaviour.

2.4Ghz band mostly works fine, but 5Ghz has persistent problem an doesn't stay up for long. Could please push the update to my router?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Most devices disconnect from 5Ghz band, some stay connected, but no internet. Happens often but irregularly. Sometimes more than once a day but at other times will go a day and half
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Devices appear to be connected to the hub for a time before demanding a re-entry of the password then doesn't accept this. Normal/blue hub status indicator when it occurs but no internet on devices
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    I split the channels in the hope that this would help but it doesn't, SSID's named differently
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    When it occurs it is persistent until reset. I have reinstated a power line system that I was using before and this seems OK
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No. 
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes. Any time up to a day and a half
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Only devices connected to the 5Ghz band. 2 x iPhone 8 plus, old MacBook pro, iMac, iPad Air although my MacBook pro had a problem on the 2.4 band when I completely switched of the 5K band for a while.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. The home network consists of 2 x iPhone 8 plus, MacBook pro, iMac, iPad Air, Sky Q, Panasonic PVR, LG TV, HP printer, Kindle paperwhite 1

I just registered and my Plusnet User name spell corrected as is wrong and I can't find a way of correcting this. email me if you are able to find where to push the update to.

Please help...

eddiemcgarrigle

@bobpullen Could I have this update pushed my way please.  I'm at my wits end with a complaining wife trying to work from home and a complaining son trying to play Call Of Duty on his Xbox.

To no longer have to look at my phone and be told the wifi password is wrong would be very nice indeed.

Darrell1148

Hi Bob

Thanks for doing this for me. Keeping fingers crossed but I have not had an issue now for three weeks. 

Also Plusnet are posting a new Hub One router to me and I wanted to ask if I should install the update to my original router or wait for the new one and then install it. Or will the new router already have the new update installed?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to receiving the new router and hearing from you soon

Best regards

Darrell

Rickman
Hooked

Thanks Bob. We've still got dropout issues after merging the band's. Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Rickman - are the symptoms exactly the same as this? Definitely still specific to the 5GHz network?

@Darrell1148 wrote:

Also Plusnet are posting a new Hub One router to me and I wanted to ask if I should install the update to my original router or wait for the new one and then install it. Or will the new router already have the new update installed?

If you have requested a replacement router solely to tackle this issue then I would suggest you don't install it at all. The update I have pushed will only apply upon reboot of your existing device. The newly shipped device will be loaded with the firmware I have just upgraded you from.

@JamesCarter @gandl @BravoW @ceiag @VaughnS & @eddiemcgarrigle - I have just pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply it.

@Broadlands I'm struggling to locate a device on your line so you will need to drop me a private message containing your account username and router serial number.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

eddiemcgarrigle

Many thanks Bob, I'll let you know how I get on.  

Willinh

Hi I'm having the exact same issue as described throughout this thread. The 2g works fine, but 5g only works temporarily and then will I'll be unable to connect any device to it. Restarting the router - 5g works again for a while.

Can you push through the new firmware ASAP to my router as well. It's currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.
Thanks
Tags (1)
VaughnS
Hooked

Bob

Really sorry but I have powered down then turned router twice and still have software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 installed.

Should I try again later?

Tags (1)
gandl
Hooked

Many thanks Bob ....seems to be working as everything on 5GHz seems to be faster but more importantly working at the moment ...only time will tell and will update you if it goes wrong again FYI ...although not sure if there's anything else you can do if it does? A saviour of our Xmas contact with our family so far away ...but in much better circumstances than here thankfully ....wifi going wrong seems small fry compared to the stuff in the world but it helps in a small way so thanks for your original post and efforts. 

Tags (1)
TonyClegg

Hi All

Unsurprisingly I am experiencing the same issues.  Mainly with smartphones, but the laptop is now connecting via 5ghz and the same problem.  Anything connected to 2.4ghz an ethernet work without a problem.  I've been with PlusNet for some time but couldn't remember my forum login so had to start again.

To cut a long story short, I've had connection (speed / dropouts) since March which I believe have finally been resolved.  One thing around August was to try a new router.  So, I've got a relatively new router running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and having to reset the router every couple of days.  I resent doing this as only recently has our line fault been fixed and would like to prevent our speeds from being compromised.  If the software on my router can be amended, that would be great.  It's either that, or time for a new (non PlusNet branded) router.

Thanks in advance.  Please note, I have one unhappy missus and two grumpy teenage daughters, so please send help ASAP 🙂

Finally, if you are pushing software to the router, could you confirm the version number so I know what to look out for...

Regards, Tony

Tags (1)
russellbeggs

I seem to be having the same issues and one of the affected firmware versions. Can I get my firmware updated to see if that helps? I’ve already split the 2.4 & 5 GHz and still having issues.
Odinhm

Hi @bobpullen @Tallowhand  I've also had this issue for quite a while, despite talking to customer service several times and recieving a new router please can you send this firmware update to us, have had a new router for a few months, just havent had time to drop a message?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?  All 5ghz devices loose connection at least once a day. After talking to customer service (who appear to be completely unaware of this issue) i did some research and un linked the 2.4 from the 5 network so that the entire netowrk doesnt crash every day. 

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Hub status is normal/blue. Devices can  connect but have no have internet.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?  Have now split these..

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Only affects wireless devices and now only devices on 5ghz. When they were merged the wired connections worked fine.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] It just happens roughly once a day.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, however the more i restart the router in a day, the more the problem persisted i.e if i had to restart the router more than once in a day it would usually be 4 or 5 times.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. All devices with 5ghz capability affected when networks merged, all 5ghz devices affected when networks split. 

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Too many devices with different OS/manufacturer to be an issue

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. Plus net router connected to wall, no bridges etc, just one wired device and around 10 wireless devices.